We are seeking a Senior Clinical Psychologist with a passion for advocating for the rights, psychological needs and psychological services provision for older people. Our Older Adult Mental Health Services provide vital and integral healthcare services for older people in a variety of settings, ranging from community through to acute wards, covering a large geographical area.
It will be based in Mental Health Services for Older People in one of our dedicated Community MH Teams in Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion or Pembrokeshire.
The post holder will provide community based, psychologically-informed functional and neuropsychological assessments, formulations and evidence-based interventions for older people with a variety of complex mental health needs and older people with a diagnosis of dementia and possible comorbid physical health/social care or complex grief needs.
Main duties of the job
The post is advertised as a band 8a. However, applicants who do not currently meet all the skills and competences for the band 8a role, are encouraged to apply and, if successful, will be appointed under Agenda for Change Arrangement for Pay and Banding of Trainees (Annex 21) supported by a development plan for 3 years. The application of annex21 with pay protection at band 7 may be considered for newly qualified psychologists until competencies are met for 8a, which will be expected to be met within 3 years.
This is an exciting time to join our service as we look to expand our psychotherapeutic treatment directory for our older adult population. There is scope to help shape, plan, oversee and deliver a range of psychologically informed individual and group interventions across these community based settings, whilst also providing supervision and leadership to psychology and non-psychology MDT health and social care staff. There will be opportunities to undertake research, audit and service development as an integral part of service delivery.
Hywel Dda University Health Board is the planner and provider of NHS healthcare services for people in Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and its bordering counties. Our 11,000 members of staff provide primary, community, in-hospital, mental health and learning disabilities services for around 384,000 people across a quarter of the landmass of Wales. We do this in partnership with our three local authorities and public, private and third sector colleagues, including our volunteers, through:
Four main hospitals: Bronglais General in Aberystwyth, Glangwili General in Carmarthen, Prince Philip in Llanelli and Withybush General in Haverfordwest;
Seven community hospitals: Amman Valley and Llandovery in Carmarthenshire; Tregaron, Aberaeron and Cardigan in Ceredigion; and Tenby and South Pembrokeshire Hospital Health and Social Care Resource Centre in Pembrokeshire;
48 general practices (four of which are managed practices), 47 dental practices (including three orthodontic), 99 community pharmacies, 44 general ophthalmic practices (43 providing Eye Health Examination Wales and 34 low vision services) and 17 domiciliary only providers and 11 health centres;
Numerous locations providing mental health and learning disabilities services;
Highly specialised and tertiary services commissioned by the Welsh Health Specialised Services Committee, a joint committee representing seven health boards across Wales.
Job description Job responsibilities You will be able to find a full Job description and Person Specification attached within the supporting documents or please click Apply now to view in Trac.
The Health Board is committed to supporting its staff to fully embrace the need for bilingualism thereby enhancing patient and service user experiences. In our commitment to increase the number of staff who are able to communicate in Welsh with patients and professionals, we welcome applications from Welsh speakers.
The ability to communicate in Welsh is not desirable for this post. If you do not meet the Welsh Language requirements specified, the Health Board offers a variety of learning options and staff support to help you meet these minimal desirable requirements during the course of your employment with us.
Person Specification Qualifications & Knowledge Essential
- Doctoral level training in psychology, including specifically models of psychopathology, training in two or more distinct psychological therapies and lifespan developmental psychology, as accredited by the BPS
- Training in clinical psychometrics, cognitive /neuropsychology assessment as part of the psychology doctorate (or since qualification) is essential.
- Training in formulation from both a generic approach and within a specific therapeutic model.
- Further specialist Training.
- Pre-qualification training and qualifications in research methodology, staff training and/or other fields of applied psychology.
- Experience of specialist psychological assessment and treatment of clients across the full range of care settings, including outpatient, community, primary care and in patient settings.
- Experience of working with a wide variety of client groups, across the whole life course presenting problems that reflect the full range of clinical severity including maintaining a high degree of professionalism in the face of highly, emotive and distressing problems, verbal abuse and the threat of physical abuse.
- Experience in cognitive/neuropsychological assessment
- Experience of developing and applying both direct and indirect forms of psychological intervention.
- Experience of multi-disciplinary team working in a variety of contexts
- Experience of teaching, training and/or supervision
- Experience of the application of clinical psychology in different cultural contexts.
- Demonstrate further specialist training/experience through having received a minimum of 50 hours clinical supervision of working as a specialist psychologist over a minimum of 18 months, or an alternative agreed by the consultant psychologist
- Experience of being the senior point of contact for advice and guidance for other psychologists and therapists
Language Skills Desirable
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.