We are seeking an experienced and enthusiastic Consultant Psychiatrist to join our service. The post holder will have proven clinical and leadership skills and be able to manage complex forensic patients in outpatient settings.
The post holder will work in the specialised community forensic team. The post holder will work with a multidisciplinary team and will provide clinical leadership to the team. The post holder will also be expected to take on other leadership roles within the hospital.
Candidates must have a full GMC registration and, ideally, have a CCT in Forensic Psychiatry or a CCT in General Adult Psychiatry (with significant experience in the community) or be within 6 months of completion of training or be eligible for inclusion on the specialist register at the time of the interview.
Main duties of the job
The post holder will have responsibility to provide/input into the care, treatment and risk management for patients under their care. This will include agreeing care pathways, organising admission and safe discharge planning.
The post holder will act as part of a gatekeeping service for secure beds for those with mental illness.
The risk assessment and risk management of the patients will be a core part of the job.
The post holder will liaise carefully with other agencies including local authority personnel, independent sector services and service users and carers.
About us We are AWP (Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust)
a diverse organisation with over 5,000 dedicated staff providing inpatient and community-based mental health care. We provide services from a range of locations to approximately 1.8 million people living in Bath and North East Somerset (B&NES), Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, across the county of Wiltshire and in parts of Dorset.
Our outstanding people promote mental health and wellbeing. The expertise and resources within AWP are dedicated to a person-centred approach for those who use our services and for all employees. We recognise that happy and fulfilled employees give better care.
Job description Job responsibilities
Please refer to the accompanying job description for full details on the roles and responsibilities of this post.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification
- Relevant Higher Degree e.g MD,PHD,Msc or other additional clinical qualifications
- MRCPsych OR MRCPsych equivalent approved by the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register OR within six months of gaining CCT
- Approved clinician status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- Approved under S12 OR able to achieve with 3 months of appointment
- CCT in Forensic Psychiatry or CCT in General Adult Psychiatry with significant experience of working in the community
- Experience of assessing and treating patients in a inpatient setting.
- Knowledge and evidence of participation in CPD
- Evidence of effective multidisciplinary team involvement
- Experience of working in forensic psychiatry.
Personal Skills Essential
- To possess leadership skills and be able to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to manage own time, workload and prioritise clinical work
- Ability to appraise own performance as a Consultant.
- Able to demonstrate excellent communication skills, in order to effectively work with patients, carers and staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Evidence of specific achievements that demonstrate leadership skills
Clinical Skills Essential
- Ability to assess and treat adults of working age with complex mental health and risk issues.
- Previous experience of working with individuals in secure services.
- Understanding of the management skills required to function successfully as a Consultant.
- Awareness of current issues in mental health service provision, policy and legislation.
- Knowledge of alternatives to inpatient admission care approaches
- Commitment to and experience of undergraduate and postgraduate learning and teaching.
- Understand principles of teaching.
- Experience as an Educational Supervisor for trainees
Research and Audit Essential
- Experience or involvement in a research project and publication.
- Experience of carrying out an audit project.
- Evidence of management/leadership skills training.
- Previous management experience including that of other junior medical staff
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.