Are you a Consultant Psychiatrist who is dedicated and passionate about improving mental health services? Are you looking for your next role as a dynamic clinical leader in general adult Psychiatry?
We have an exciting opportunity for a Consultant Psychiatrist to join the Intensive Service, based at the Long Fox Unit, Weston General Hospital.
The Intensive service operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and is the gate keeping and discharging agent for inpatient services, providing expert assessment to individuals experiencing mental health crisis.
The Intensive Team carries an average workload of 25 patients, with the caseload managed by the team manager. The Consultant does not carry a caseload. The senior nurses carry out emergency referral assessments from either recovery or PCLS. They then refer to a consultant if necessary throughout their treatment. The consultant will occasionally be asked to assess but mainly if it is viewed as very complex.
Main duties of the job
As the Consultant for this service, you will deliver direct interventions to service users including emergency assessment, diagnoses and treatment of mental and physical health needs. You will manage the delivery of intensive home treatment and alternatives to hospital admission.
You will review approximately 6 patients per week with 50% being home visits with other team members. These will all be follow ups as they will have had an initial assessment with a band 6 nurse from the team.
North Somerset Mental Health has a forward thinking and inclusive medical community dedicated to making changes for the better. We are committed to your development and helping you to achieve your career aspirations. You will be encouraged and supported to be involved in service leadership and management. We offer one of the most competitive and flexible benefits packages.
About us We are AWP (Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust)
a diverse organisation with over 5,000 dedicated staff providing inpatient and community-based mental health care. We provide services from a range of locations to approximately 1.8 million people living in Bath and North East Somerset (B&NES), Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, across the county of Wiltshire and in parts of Dorset. Our outstanding people promote mental health and wellbeing. The expertise and resources within AWP are dedicated to a person-centred approach for those who use our services and for all employees. We recognise that happy and fulfilled employees give better care.
Job description Job responsibilities
Please refer to the accompanying job description for full details on the roles and responsibilities of this post.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification
- Relevant Higher Degree e.g MD,PHD,Msc or other additional clinical qualifications
- MRCPsych OR MRCPsych equivalent approved by the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register OR within six months of gaining CCT
- Approved clinician status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- Approved under S12 OR able to achieve with 3 months of appointment
- CCT in Genera; Adult Psychiatry
- Experience of assessing and treating patients in a crisis setting.
Personal Skills Essential
- To possess leadership skills and be able to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to manage own time, workload and prioritise clinical work
- Able to demonstrate excellent communication skills, in order to effectively work with patients, carers and staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Clinical Skills Essential
- Ability to assess and treat psychiatric problems in Adults of working age and to deal with crisis situations.
- Ability to assess and treat treatment resistant psychosis (including with complex co-morbidity) and work within recognised rehabilitation and recovery frameworks.
- Understanding of the management skills required to function successfully as a Consultant.
- Commitment to and experience of undergraduate and postgraduate learning and teaching.
- Understand principles of teaching.
Research and Audit Essential
- Experience or involvement in a research project and publication.
- Experience of carrying out an audit project.
- Evidence of management/leadership skills training.
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.