Join the team at the Forge Centre in Neath Port Talbot as a Consultant Psychiatrist as we develop services and work towards a 24 hr single point of admission service supported by 2 treatment wards and 5 community mental health teams. It's a great opportunity to make your mark and drive positive change, with support from a multidisciplinary management team who are strongly focussed on working with clinical colleagues.
You will have overall clinical responsibility for the management of outpatients, overseeing the Care and Treatment Plans, delegating responsibility and working with the multidisciplinary team.
Accepting this role would see you join this experienced Mental Health inpatient service to provide care for men and women with mental disorders, you will focus on equipping people with the appropriate skills for community living. Additionally, Welsh Government have recently approved funding to develop a 111 telephone triage service which is a first in Wales with the development of crisis care being seen as a national priority. Aligned to this, working with and developing community crisis services will be a key part of the role.
The consultant psychiatrist role is situated in the Forge Centre, which is short commute from Swansea, Cardiff, West Wales, Neath, Port Talbot, Bridgend and surrounding areas.
Main duties of the job You will need to:
You will get:
- Be medically qualified, MRC Psych or equivalent
- Be innovative and imaginative with the ability to initiate service improvement
- Have an excellent understanding of current developments in psychiatry and other aspects of mental health
- Have substantial knowledge of change management, relevant legislation, contemporary issues in mental health, knowledge of and experience in purchaser/provider contractual issues
- Competitive annual salary
- The equivalent of 34 days annual leave (pro-rata)
- Career development and training
- Opportunities to develop your special interests
- Relocation support
Our values encourage continuous improvement and as such you will have the opportunity for regular career development to ensure you're on the cutting edge, at the top of your game.
Additionally, the service is supportive of staff developing portfolio careers and have excellent opportunities for you to explore opportunities in medical management, quality improvement, quality and safety, research and teaching.
We have strong academic links with Swansea University and Medical School and honorary appointments exist should you wish to explore this as part of your career development.
The service strongly supports clinicians developing skills in other subspecialties and undertaking special interest sessions. There are a range of areas you can get involved in as we host a number of regional services including perinatal mental health services and regional medium secure services. You'll have access to excellent CPD with our own medical education centre based on the Cefn Coed Hospital site in Swansea as well as an education centre in Neath Port Talbot Hospital. There is also a vibrant academic programme, plus access to a large peer group of enthusiastic and high-calibre consultants.About your next employer:
You will be working for an established, forward thinking service. There is an opportunity for you to grow and move within Swansea Bay University Health Board.
There are also a range of other benefits including access to NHS retail discounts and special offers, NHS car leasing without a credit check and much more.
You could be eligible for up to £10,000 in Relocation costs. To know how much you could qualify for, please contact Julie.Thomas8@wales.nhs.uk
Job description Job responsibilities
You can find this information in the attached documents for the job description and person specification.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- On Specialist Register with GMC as a specialist in Adult Psychiatry or eligible for CCT within 6 months
- Further relevant degree/diploma
- teaching qualification / higher qualification in medical education
- Evidence of working effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Teaching and training of post/undergraduate medical staff
- Evidence of initiating, progressing and completing audit
- Working as part of the management team
- Experience of research in mental health
- Previous experience of working in the NHS / experience of NHS working practices and systems
- Experience of the requirements of the role of Approved Clinician under the MHA 1983
- Leadership Skills
- Teaching Skills
- Clinical skills including competence using the MHA 1983 and the MCA 2005
Personal Attributes Essential
- Flexible and adaptable to competing demands
- Driving Licence/ability to travel between sites
- Ability to take a lead role in clinical development
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.