The Newham Community Mental Health Team (CMHT) for Older People has an opportunity for an Occupational Therapist (Band 6) to come and join the team on a full time basis. This is a rewarding role, working with older adults who have mental health conditions and/or dementia in the diverse London borough of Newham.
This role could be a great opportunity to further develop your skills and to apply experience gained in other mental of physical health settings. We would therefore also consider an internal secondment from within ELFT if you would like to join us for a fixed period of time.
The role is based at the First Avenue resource centre in Plaistow, Newham. It is conveniently located next to the Greenway (especially popular with cyclists and walkers!), with public transport options nearby.
Occupational Therapists are valued members of the multi-disciplinary CMHT. The emphasis for Occupational Therapy in our team is to support individuals to focus on what matters most to them- often this is to remain living at home. Occupational Therapy is provided both in individual sessions as well as groups. These take place in community settings, service users homes and at First Avenue.
By joining us, you will not only have the support of the CMHT, but also be linked with the co-located memory services and the wider Mental Health Occupational Therapy service in Newham.
Main duties of the job
- To work in collaboration with the multi-disciplinary team, to assess and treat older people with mental health/dementia support needs, enabling individuals to remain within their home environment/ community in regard to their preference and best interest optimising their quality of life.
- The Occupational Therapy (OT) role will undertake initial assessment and OT specific assessment/intervention including advice and basic environmental adaptation and provide a range of individual and/or group treatments.
- To be responsible for an appropriate caseload for specialist OT skills
- To develop and maintain links with MHCOP OT service, relevant statutory and non-statutory agencies throughout Newham
- To provide clinical supervision and support practice education when required
Our mission is to make a positive difference to people's lives by improving the quality of life for all we serve. Our values are: We Care, We Respect, We are Inclusive - so we are looking for people who live and breathe these qualities when supporting service users and carers, and in their relationships with colleagues in the Trust and our partner organisations.
Job description Job responsibilities
Kindly refer to the job description and person specification that is attached to the vacancy profile.
Person Specification Education/ Qualification/ Training Essential
- oDiploma or degree in Occupational Therapy
- oHCPC Registration
- oPractice Placement Educators Training
- oMember of the Royal College of Occupational Therapy
- oPost qualification in clinical mental health setting and/or demonstrable experience highly related to the clinical field
- oExperience of CPD and role development activities
- oExperience of working of part of a Multidisciplinary team
- oExperience of staff/student supervision
Skillls & Abilities and Knowledge Essential
- oAbility to independently manage a complex clinical caseload
- oTo have developed interpersonal skills enabling therapeutic alliances to be developed and maintained with clients who have complex needs.
- oAnalytical and clinical reasoning skills to assess clients' complex needs (including risk assessment) and complete a holistic formulation to guide interventions with significant support and supervision.
- oAbility to apply specialist skills in individual and group based OT assessments, interventions and evaluations.
- oAbility to plan, prioritise and coordinate a range of complex activities in relation to clinical work
- oWord-processing/IT skills
- oAbility to liase with other services, statutory and non-statutory around clinical issues
- oAbility to plan, prioritise and coordinate a range of activities in relation to clinical work
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.