We are looking to recruit an experienced registered mental health nurse who is enthusiastic, compassionate and caring to join the team on Lillie Ward, an acute female admission ward in Hammersmith and Fulham Mental Health Unit as a Clinical Team Leader.
The Acute inpatient wards provide a safe and therapeutic environment for mental health patients that have either been detained under of the Mental Health Act or have agreed to be admitted on a voluntary basis. The core aim of the service is to provide a safe environment where patients will receive mental health care, that uses the principles of Trauma informed Care and applying the least restrictive principles possible in a safe and therapeutic environment.
Working with this client group can be challenging and requires a clinician who is able to employ reflection and can frame their understanding using an evidence base to enhance their own and the wider team's knowledge and skills.
You will receive monthly supervision to support your development and practice from the ward manager and unit Matron. You will gain experience of managing and coordinating a diverse team and an understanding of how the key performance indicators interact with the provision of care on the ward. This is an opportunity for you to broaden your skills in regards to operational policy and enhancing your professional experience.
Main duties of the job
Complete assessments of the patients and provide feedback to the MDT on the progress of the patient and make recommendations for further interventions
To accept section paperwork from police/AMHP and ensure all information is accurately correct.
To provide nursing care to clients including physical assessments and interventions, mental health assessments and interventions, risk assessments and appropriate management plans for any overt risks identified
To gather collateral information on clients from GP, community teams, liaise with other trusts (SPA/CATT/CMHT), family and friends if possible.
To provide accurate and comprehensive handover of patients' attendance presentation on a daily basis.
To complete all necessary documentation on the patient's progress and plans for the patients care whilst on the ward including risk assessments, care plans and any assessment documentation
To take a thorough and detailed handover on a shift by shift basis, ensuring all correct process and tasks have been completed or handed over.
Ensure all necessary polices and protocols are followed.
Ensure safe discharge/admission of client and that all follow up care of the client is arranged in a timely manner
Appropriately manage highly emotional, verbally aggressive, abusive or threatening patients and deescalate such situations when appropriate, often under difficult circumstances.
West London NHS Trust is one of the most diverse providers of mental health, community and social care in the UK.
Our 3,982 staff care for people in hospital and in the community, helping them to recover and go on to lead full and productive lives. We aim to be the best organisation of our kind in the country.
We provide care and treatment for more than 800,000 people living in the London boroughs of Ealing, Hammersmith & Fulham and Hounslow, delivering services in the community (at home, in GP surgeries and care homes), hospital, specialist clinics and forensic (secure) units.
We'rerated good overall by the Care Quality Commission (CQC).
Together, we're committed to promoting hope and wellbeing, working with patients, service users, carers, families and partners across the communities we serve.
We are keen to ensure that our workforce reflects the community it serves, particularly in terms of ethnicity, gender, disability, LGBTQ+ and experience of mental illness.
Job description Job responsibilities
The Clinical Team Leader will lead others in the development of knowledge, ideas and work practice; with particular reference to the assessment of care needs and the development, implementation and evaluation of programs of care. They will also assist in leading and monitoring the performance and work of nursing staff; supervising the work of Staff Nurses, HCAs and student nurses. The Clinical Team Leader will deputies for the Clinical Ward Manager in their absence.
Please see Job Description and personal specification attached to vacancy
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- Registered Mental Health Nurse
- Evidence of post registration further development
- Understanding and training in Trauma Informed Care
- PMVA Training
- Working with other professions within a multi-disciplinary team and contributing to the joint plans following on from a MH assessment
- Experience of leading a team and appropriately delegating tasks to ensure the highest level of care is delivered within a service
- Experience of supervising others in order to develop their clinical practice in Mental Health
- Post qualification experience in acute mental health care setting
- Experience of promoting and enabling change within a team using a QI methodology
- Post Qualification PICU experience
- Teaching and mentoring other members of the MDT including the use of a structured framework to improve clinical practice
- To understand and have experience of risk management
- Able to contribute to and lead complex discussions around patient's care
- A clear understanding of the Mental Health Act Code of practice and its relationship to the detention and treatment of mental health patients
- Up to date knowledge of NICE Guidelines on the Management of Acutely Disturbed Behaviour
- How to use a range of methods to support engagement
- An understanding of Quality Improvement including the running or contribution to Quality Improvement Projects in an Inpatient Setting
- An understanding of a variety of psychological interventions that will help support the management of patients in crisis
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.