Clinical Nurse Specialist - Liaison Team
The post-holder will have a base at Vincent Square Eating Disorders Service main base in central London and will also spend time at the satellite clinic in Harrow at Northwick Park Hospital, when required. To work with the Liaison Team, Multidisciplinary Team, collaborating with Doctors, Psychologists, Occupational Therapist, Family Worker, Inpatient and Day Programme Team. In addition there will be liaison with community Mental Health Teams, Primary Care Teams, and Medical and Psychiatric Wards.
The successful applicant may have contact with patients or service users. As an NHS Trust we strongly encourage and support vaccination as this remains the best way to protect yourself, your family, your colleagues and of course patients and service users when working on our healthcare settings.
Main duties of the job
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Clinical Nurse Specialist post within Vincent Square Eating Disorders Service for an experienced mental health nurse. The post holder will be working in the eating disorders liaison team which is part of the wider outpatient service. The team is made up of highly experienced nurses, occupational therapists, dietician, social worker, nursing associate and consultant psychiatrist. It is an opportunity for a nurse to further their practice and experience within a specialist setting.
The candidate will require a good level of post qualification experience of working with patients with an eating disorder within a ward or community setting. The liaison team is an integral part of the wider eating disorders service acting as 'front of house' for all stakeholders, doing regular specialist assessment of patients referred to the eating disorder service, facilitating physical health clinics and managing a small caseload of patients with a range of severe and enduring eating disorders within a personal recovery model. The team also has various treatment pathways including an established early intervention pathway, an expanding primary care pathway, and the newly created intensive community treatment team. You will need to be a motivated, empathic, skilled and dedicated individual who can work well both autonomously and within a team, and possess excellent communication skills.
You will be well supported in your role by a friendly, dynamic MDT as well as receive regular line management and clinical supervision in various forms. Your primary base will be in vibrant South Kensington in Central London and you will also be required to work at the satellite clinic at Northwick Park Hospital in Harrow, when required.
Vincent Square Eating Disorders Service is the specialist service provider for patients living in the boroughs of Westminster, Kensington & Chelsea, Hammersmith & Fulham, Ealing, Hillingdon, Hounslow, Brent and Harrow. In addition the service accepts national referrals for specialist in-patient and day-patient care.
Job description Job responsibilities
- To process all new referrals by triaging them daily based on clinical risk, for the designated boroughs
- To undertake specialist eating disorder assessment (at the central London clinic and the satellite Northwick Park Hospital in Harrow).
- To provide treatment for patients suitable for the Liaison Service, who often present with severe and enduring eating disorders, using a supportive clinical management model
- To provide advice to referring agents on how to access the eating disorders service.
- To advise other teams about management of eating disorders as part of service users package of care, when there is other significant psychiatric or medical co morbidities
- Monitoring of physical and mental health issues related to patients with eating disorders.
- To undertake Veno puncture and ECG procedures or willingness to be trained in order to practice these physical care skills.
- To participate in a weekly outpatient physical health monitoring clinic.
- Ensure nursing practice is in accordance with the NMC Code of Professional Conduct and Mental Health Legislation, which incorporates and respects differences in respect of gender, sexuality, ethnicity, religion, culture and disability.
- Participate as an active member of the nursing team, accountable for your practice, and work in partnership with other health care professionals, patients and others in the delivery of care.
- Plan, prioritise and manage the delivery of assessment of referrals to the clinic from psychiatric and medical service.
- To offer nursing support and advise on suitable treatments for those seriously ill patients awaiting outpatient/in-patient admission to professional staff and to families and carers.
- To participate in the running of a personal recovery focussed group for patients with severe and enduring eating disorders.
- To organise own schedule, maintaining daily contact with the Liaison Team Lead about any issues as they arise.
- To liaise with the Liaison Team Lead, Lead Nurse, Ward Manager, Day Patient Nurse, Service Manager and Consultant Psychiatrist about priorities on waiting list for admission.
- Always act in a manner as to promote and safeguard the interests and well being of patients, visitors and colleagues.
- To participate in mandatory staff group.
Person Specification Education and Qualifications Essential
- Current NMC Registration
- oEvidence of regular updating in nursing clinical practice since qualification.
Skills and Knowledge Essential
- Excellent Risk assessment and general Mental Health Assessments skills including full psycho-social, physical and mental health assessments
- Knowledge of evidenced based treatment for eating disorders.
- Ability to work independently and to manage stressful workload and use time effectively
- To liaise effectively with other agencies, both statutory and non-statutory.
- Understanding of family/ carer issues
- Trained in veno puncture and ECG procedure or willingness to be trained to participate in these physical care skills.
- Post registration clinical experience in a mental health setting
- Experience of working therapeutically with patients presenting with an eating disorder and psychiatric/ medical co morbidities
- Experience of completing a nursing assessment and formulating a safe care plan
- Experience of managing a case load of patients as Keyworker or care coordination within a ward / community setting
- Therapy qualification or therapy skills training relevant to working in eating disorders
- Experience of completing a specialist assessment for patients with a range of eating disorders within a community setting
- Experience of supervising student nurses
- Willingness to work flexible hours to meet the service requirements.
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.