This vacancy is for two full-time, permanent, AfC Band 8B Principal Psychotherapists.
Each role will be tailored depending on successful applicants' knowledge and experience. Both post-holders will be involved in providing specialist individual or group psychodynamic psychotherapy. Additionally, each will have a specific leadership remit, for instance within the Therapeutic Community, or developing clinical services in North Derbyshire.
We welcome applications from individuals from diverse backgrounds, with a core profession, and further training in Psychodynamic / Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy or Group Analysis.
Main duties of the job
Our aim is to increase the application of psychoanalytic thinking across the Trust and the post-holders would be instrumental in achieving this. Potential applicants must be able to work with developmental trauma, provide significant emotional containment over long time periods, and tolerate significant relational challenge whilst maintaining a therapeutic frame. Post-holders will also provide regular consultation and supervision to health and social care staff regarding complex clinical matters and will line manage psychodynamic psychotherapy staff members.
The department has links to various training organisations such as South Trent, the Tavistock and Portman NHS Trust and local Clinical Psychology doctorate courses. Where appropriate, there may be opportunities for leading seminars, supervising trainees and other educational involvement.
This is an opportunity to contribute to the leadership and development of Psychodynamic Psychotherapy in the NHS as part of a well-established specialist clinical service in Derbyshire. We are a supportive department with a strong commitment to continuing professional development and training. The service has been in operation for over 40 years and has a rich history offering group and individual psychotherapy, a Therapeutic Community approach for people with severe and complex presentations, and an educational setting for the training of psychotherapists.
We encourage flexible working and combined working from home and base. The service's main base is only 5 minutes' walk from Derby train station with good rail links to Nottingham (20 minutes), Leicester (25 minutes), Sheffield (30 minutes), Leeds (1 hour 15 minutes) and London (1 hour 30 minutes). Relocation expenses may be available to successful candidates wishing to move to the region.
Job description Job responsibilities
For full details please see attached Job Description and Person Specification.
Main responsibilities include:
- Carry out specialist assessments, highly complex formulations, treatment plans, and interventions
- Work autonomously with individuals and groups across all sectors of care, including patients frequently presenting severe and/or complex difficulties
- Provide specialist psychoanalytic consultancy on clinical and organisational issues to NHS and Social Care staff in the region
- Leadership and coordination of aspects of clinical provision within the service
- Responsible for policy development and implementation, regarding the delivery of Psychodynamic Psychotherapy
- Continue to improve and develop the clinical service, including managing and co-ordinating work within and across specific projects
- Line management and supervision of psychodynamic psychotherapy staff
- Ensure the service operates to best practice standards in evidence-based practice
- Initiate and promote the development of training and development to the Health and Local Authority professionals in the region
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- Core Professional Qualification (Mental Health) at degree level, leading to full registration with Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC), Social Work England (SWE), GMC, etc.
- Training to MA/MSc/Doctoral level or equivalent in Psychodynamic Psychotherapy, Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy, or Group Analysis
- Registration with either British Psychoanalytic Council or United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy as a Psychodynamic / Psychoanalytic Psychotherapist or Group Analyst
- Considerable experience in psychodynamic / psychoanalytic therapy or group analysis with patients experiencing severe and complex mental health difficulties, supervised by a suitably qualified professional
- Considerable clinical experience of working in an adult mental health setting in the public sector
- Experience of providing consultation to health and social care professionals
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.