Do you have a passion for supporting people with learning disabilities to maximise their full potential?
Are you interested in a nursing role where you can focus on your own development?
Perhaps you love to work in an autonomous community-based role?
We are seeking a Band 6 Learning Disability Nurse to join our Community Learning Disability Team based in either Hastings or Uckfield (whichever is more convenient for successful candidate), and covering the local area. As a Community Learning Disability Nurse in our team you will be a key member of our multi-professional health team, working in close partnership with Social Services colleagues to support people with learning disabilities, who also have complex physical and mental health needs including behaviours that challenge.
Our community learning disability team works across East Sussex to provide specialist community support for adults with a learning disability, their families and carers. Our teams include specialist nurses, occupational therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, physiotherapists, behaviour specialists and Speech and Language Therapists.
Main duties of the job
In this role you will be providing high-quality assessment, support and advice to people with learning disabilities and their carers'. You will provide and/or arrange access to specialist focused health interventions and monitoring as identified in health care and treatment plans, for example; related to complex physical health, epilepsy, challenging behaviour and mental health.
You will be managing your own diary and own case load, working across our patch to support our service users in the most efficient and effective way possible. An ability to be able to travel around East Sussex and sometimes wider areas is essential, as you will need to complete home visits and meetings.
Although this is an autonomous role, you will have ample support from our multi-disciplinary team, senior nursing team and our wider Learning Disability Nursing Service across the Trust. Peer support and CPD are at the forefront of how we operate, with your development goals being highly valued and encouraged.
Sussex Partnership provides mental health and learning disability care for all age groups across Sussex and for children and young people in Hampshire.
Living and Working in Sussex:
- Travel easily between coast and countryside, with a blend of picturesque villages and seaside towns
- Embrace the South Coast with a great range of historic and contemporary seaside towns
- According to the Met Office Sussex is the sunniest county in the UK, making exploring the vast countryside all the more enjoyable
We'd love you to join our Trust, rated 'good' overall and 'outstanding' for caring by the CQC. Our staff agree, in our recent staff survey 82% told us that they recognise that care for patients is our top priority.
Key survey results include:
We encourage flexible working
- 70% highlighting flexible working opportunities as a key point for satisfaction at work
- 79% reporting feeling able to make suggestions to improve the work within their team
- 77% identifying the opportunities to show initiative in their roles
. We know that a positive work/ life balance brings about huge health-related benefits, which has a positive impact on the care we provide. Please speak to us about flexible working, for example, home-working, part time hours, flexible start/ finish times or anything else. If it works for you and works for the role, we'll do our best to make it happen.
Job description Job responsibilities
In order to be a successful Community Learning Disability Nurse in our team you will be:
- Registered with the NMC as a Learning Disability Nurse
- Confident in managing your caseload and working autonomously
- Motivated to support people with learning disabilities to maximise their full potential
It would also be advantageous if you are:
- Experienced working in Learning Disability services
See attached Job Description and Person Specification for full details.
Please apply using the link in this advert, or for more information explore the attachments or contact:
Matt Box : Community Learning Disability Matron East Sussex & Brighton 07464 925338
(We are happy to arrange informal visits currently Covid dependant)
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- Registered Nurse
- NMC Registration
- Post Basic Courses/relevant study days
- Evidence of CPD
- Minimum 1 years post qualifying experience working with people with learning disability
- Experience of managing a caseload and prioritising clinical work
- Experience of carrying out clinical and other assessments eg. Risk, Best Interests, MCA
- Experience of carrying out a range of clinical interventions
- Experience of partnership working across a range of statutory and non statutory teams and agencies
Knowledge & Experience Essential
- Excellent written, verbal and accessible communication skills
- Ability to complete comprehensive assessments and develop care plans
- Ability to deliver interventions to people with complex needs
- Excellent negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work in partnership with a range of stakeholders
- Ability to engage and work collaboratively with service users and carers
- Ability to prioritise workload
- IT literacy and willingness to take on new technologies
- Excellent understanding of current agenda in LD services
- Knowledge of relevant legislation
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.