Working predominantly at the Barberry Centre, at Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust (BSMHFT), the post-holder will support the Research Lead for HD and the Senior Research Fellow in delivering high quality clinical research in Huntington's disease (HD). They will be responsible for assessing and managing the care pathways for patients and carers participating in clinical studies focused on HD. This will involve the recruitment, education and monitoring of trial patients and the collection and documentation of accurate data, including the collection and preparation of samples. You will work collaboratively with the research delivery team and the wider multi-disciplinary team in the management of your own caseload of clinical trial patients. The role involves using an in-depth knowledge of trial protocols and their application in practice, alongside a working knowledge and compliance with the local, national and international research regulations and nursing framework. This post would suit someone with a clinical background in nursing and previous clinical trial/research experience.
Main duties of the job
- Coordinate the care of your own case load of clinical trial patients
- Ensure the safe administration of treatments given within the context of a clinical trial
- Take clinical samples for studies and prepare samples for collection and dispatch to relevant departments or research centres
- To ensure that trial specific investigations are undertaken as required by the research protocol
- To act appropriately to report and record serious adverse events, this includes communication with the Principal Investigator and relevant local personnel and regulatory authorities
- To provide on-going follow up care whilst patient is in the clinical trial
- Act at all times in a way that maintains patients' and carers' dignity
- Act as first point of contact for own portfolio of clinical trials for sponsors, CROs and RECs
- Support study delivery and undertake assessments as per protocols.
- Manage own portfolio of clinical trials
- Ensure that clinical trial recruitment records and site files are accurately maintained and archived appropriately
- Ensure that all data is handled according to the Data Protection Act and in a confidential and where necessary anonymised fashion.
- Support other HD research studies, including Enroll-HD as required.
Welcome to Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust. Our 4000 clinical and support staff help us to improve mental health wellbeing and meet the needs of the 70,000 people we serve each year. We provide a range of mental healthcare services across Birmingham and Solihull, as well as specialised services nationally. We also offer medical, nursing and psychology training and are proud of our international reputation for both research and innovation.
Our population is culturally diverse, characterised in places by high levels of deprivation which create an increasing demand for our services and a necessity for us to make sure everyone can access the help they need. We are a team of compassionate, inclusive and committed people working together to provide excellent care to support our community. If you are looking for a place to belong, where you can make a real difference to people's lives, join our team where our warm welcome is waiting for you.
Job description Job responsibilities
For further information about the main responsibilities, please view the attached job description and person specification.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- Current NMC registration
- Evidence of continuous professional development
- Dual qualified (RGN and RMN)
- Postgraduate training
- Teaching and mentorship qualification
- Significant post-qualification experience
- Significant experience of delivering research in a healthcare setting
- Experience of conducting clinical assessments / rating scales
- Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary environment
- Recent experience of working within the NHS
- Clinical (or extensive research) experience and knowledge of working with people with Huntington's Disease, neurodegenerative diseases, and neurological conditions
- Previous experience of sample preparation
- Excellent communication and IT skills
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.