An exciting opportunity has arisen to employ a Trainee Clinical Nurse Specialist within the Neighbourhood Mental Health Team. This role will focus on the delivery of population based mental health care for the area of Wyre Forest & Malvern. You will work alongside multi-disciplinary teams of highly specialist practitioners & have direct relationships with the professionals within the local Primary Care Networks. As a motivated & enthusiastic clinician you will further develop your skills to enable you to offer specialist support and interventions to highly complex cases, & on completion of the Non Medical Prescribing Course which you will be supported to access, you will guide primary care colleagues with prescribing advice requests. If you are seeking a role that will encompass new ways of working that will be the future delivery of community mental health care in England, then this is an opportunity you should not miss. The post is for 37.5 hours a week (Monday to Friday), although we would consider applications for 30 hours a week over 4 days. We also allow flexibility for staff to work from home where clinically possible. (Only 1 post available, post is also being advertised separately as a qualified Band 7 Clinical Nurse Specialist)
Main duties of the job
The main duties for a Clinical Nurse Specialist within our team includes (but not limited to):
Offer specialist assessments and interventions to patients within the Malvern & Wyre Forest locality service who are highly complex and other practitioners are needing support with. Hold a capped caseload for these patients when required.
Provide expertise, support and advice to MHPs regarding all aspects of clinical care.
Work jointly and provide expertise to primary care colleagues and specialist partners (for example drug & alcohol services) to support in highly contentious complex cases and working within an advisory role, particularly with prescribing enquiries.
Integrate both drug and non-drug-based treatment methods into a care management plan with the support of the Multi-Disciplinary Team.
Provide information, education and support for service users and their carers re: coping with diagnosis and treatments.
Be a member of the Trust NMP Forum and to contribute to relevant meetings.
Take part in and facilitate audits relevant to patient care.
We are community hospitals, neighbourhood teams and community nursing services across Worcestershire and the provider of Mental Health and Learning Disability services across both Herefordshire and Worcestershire. We work in partnership with other organisations to keep our community well at home for as long as possible.
We provide services for people of all ages, across a range of settings, experiencing both physical and/or mental health conditions.
We have an open and supportive culture, recognised by the CQC and other external regulators. We want you to thrive, offering you every opportunity to develop. We will support you; help you fulfil your ambitions with a varied and flexible training programme; and empower you to make positive changes within your team or service. We endeavour to offer an attractive work-life balance, with flexibility in our approach to help you get the most out of your career.
We provide our staff with direct access to a wealth of resources to support their wellbeing, from our Staff Mental Health and Wellbeing Hub, to wellbeing festivals or access to free online exercise classes.
At the core of our values, we are committed to equality, diversity, inclusion and human rights. We take every opportunity to strengthen our approach to equality and diversity in delivering best patient care and the employment of our staff.
We would encourage you to visit the Trusts Recruitment Microsite, click the Employer Website link.
Job description Job responsibilities
For full details of the duties and criteria for the role please refer to the job description and person specification attached.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- NMC Registration
- RMN (Degree level)
- Recent evidence of continuing professional development
- Evidence of post graduate psychological therapy training or equivalent i.e. DBT, SFT, CBT or working towards
- Currently working towards NMP Qualification at Masters Level
- Nationally recognised leadership qualifications
- Knowledge of principles of assessment of people with mental health problems
- Knowledge and use of holistic assessments models and techniques
- Knowledge of principles of risk assessment, management and communicate this in practice both written and verbally
- Knowledge of Mental Health Act 1983 and Mental Capacity Act 2006 and other relevant legislation
- Knowledge around BNF and mental health medication
- Knowledge around physical health implications on mental health
- Experience of working in a Community Mental Health setting
- Assessment of people presenting with mental health problems
- Assessment and management of clinical risk
- Working within a multi-disciplinary team
- Managing own case load
- Experience of key working (formerly care co-ordination)
- Experience of delivering evidence based psychosocial interventions
- Working in a primary and secondary care setting
- Working in collaboration with other services
- Experience of working with patients with Complex needs/Severe and Enduring Mental Illness
- Training/developing staff and/or patients
- Experience of using ICT platforms such as PowerPoint, excel spreadsheets etc.
- Experience of delivering clinical supervision
- Experience of using structured interventions in clinical practice which are founded on evidence-based practice and are ability to communicate the principles of this to others
Additional Criteria Essential
- Will be required to complete breakaway/de-escalation training
- To participate in regular locality duty system if required
- Able to meet the travel requirements of the post
Skills & Abilities Essential
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in English in both verbal and written formats
- Mental health assessment skills
- Care planning
- Delivery of evidence-based interventions in mental health
- Skilled in the provision of clinical supervision to both peers and junior members of staff
- Competence to monitor to and respond to the side effects of prescribing medication
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.