The post holder will play a key role in the multi-disciplinary Team providing advice and assessment of patients under the Intensive service, liaising and working closely with the Inpatient Unit to assist with discharge planning.
The Trust encourages clinicians and managers to work closely together. The post holder will work closely with the Intensive Service Manager to ensure that a safe, efficient and high quality service is delivered by the Team. The post holder will also work alongside the Consultant and Modern Matron for the Inpatient Service & for the HBPOS, to lead the delivery of acute care characterised by timely, safe and seamless transitions between hospital and community services.
The post holder will play a key role in the multi-disciplinary Team providing advice and assessment of patients under the primary care liaison service, liaising and working closely with the Intensive Service, Community Mental Health Team and Primary Care. There is a weekly interface meeting which is attended by PCLS, CMHTs, Primary Care Psychology and North Wiltshire Intensive Service.
Main duties of the job
North Wiltshire Intensive Service:
- To attend the daily NWIS Handover meeting and to attend the weekly NWIS Case Review Meeting
- To assess and treat service users in the community and/or in reviews at Green Lane Hospital
- To support the team with medical input as required.
- Undertake urgent psychiatric assessments when necessary.
- To liaise with other parts of the service and GPs and non-NHS organisations wherever applicable.
- To be responsible for the day-to-day management of general adult patients. i.e. history taking, diagnosis, note keeping, report and letter writing, psychiatry and physical examination, pharmacological treatment and discharge planning.
Primary Care Liaison Service:
- Regular attendance at PCLS meetings.
- Assessment of outpatients in clinics with advice to GPs regarding medication and other treatments.
- Consultation to other members of PCLS.
- Telephone advice to GPs.
- To visit patients in their own homes or GP practices if clinically indicated.
- To liaise with other parts of the service and GPs and non NHS organisations wherever applicable.
o To deliver direct interventions to service users at a level of intensity according to need including those service users who require an assertive approach who are difficult to engage. This will include on-going assessment, diagnoses (including revreview and clarification) and treatment of mental and physical health needs.
We are AWP (Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust) a diverse organisation with over 5,000 dedicated staff providing inpatient and community-based mental health care. We provide services from a range of locations to approximately 1.8 million people living in Bath and North East Somerset (B&NES), Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, across the county of Wiltshire and in parts of Dorset. Our outstanding people promote mental health and wellbeing. The expertise and resources within AWP are dedicated to a person-centred approach for those who use our services and for all employees. We recognise that happy and fulfilled employees give better care.
Job description Job responsibilities
Please refer to the accompanying job description for full details on the roles and responsibilities of this post.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- Basic Medical Qualification (MBBS or equivalent)
- Membership of the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- Section 12 Approval
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practice, or eligible for full registration with the GMC at the time of confirmaiton of appointment
- Completed at least four years' full-time postgraduate training (or its equivalent gained on a part-time or flexible basis) at least two of which will be in a specialty training programme in Psychiatry or as a fixed term specialty trainee in Psychiatry; or shall have equivalent experience and competencies.
- Ability to manage own time and workload and prioritise clinical work
- Ability to appraise own performance
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Evidence of specific achievements that demonstrate leadership skills
Research and Audit Essential
- Ability to critically appraise published research.
- Experience of carrying out an audit project
- Experience in involvement in a research project and publication.
- Interest in research
- Up to date knowledge of issues in Mental Health Service for this specialty.
- Commitment to teaching other members of the multi-disciplinary team.
- Teaching of undergraduate students
- PGCME or equivalent/aspiration to attain a postgraduate teaching qualification
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.