We are looking for a forward thinking, flexible and innovative therapist with an interest in working in community. We are looking for someone who is an established clinician with excellent communication skills, advanced assessment knowledge and a sound clinical background that will support you to liaise effectively with patients, and other stakeholders.
The successful candidate will be required to manage a case load as well as undertake management responsibilities including, supervision, waiting list management and allocating cases appropriately. The role would also include planning and participating in the development of OT service in Tower Hamlets by using Integrated Care Model.
For an informal discussion about this opportunity, or to arrange a visit please call Davinder Kaur, Occupational Therapy Clinical Lead, on 0207 771 5570, or please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Main duties of the job
- To provide specialised client-centered occupational therapy interventions to clients (aged 18 or over) who are resident in the community and are referred primarily due to a physical disability. This includes clients who may present with complex physical, cognitive, psycho-social and housing needs as a result of a wide range of medical conditions.
- To be an influential member of the multi-disciplinary team, providing expert, integrated, client- centered, goal- orientated rehabilitation for clients.
- To work as an autonomous practitioner in managing a defined caseload of complex cases, in a community setting. To evidence high levels of problem solving and clinical reasoning skills in line with evidence based/client- centred principles. To formulate a diagnosis and treatment plan designed to reduce the impact of disability from a comprehensive assessment of the client's needs
- To take a lead role in the supervision, teaching and appraisal of junior occupational therapists, rehabilitation support workers, students and other members of the multi-disciplinary team
- To work collaboratively with members of the multi-disciplinary team in the planning, development and evaluation of the Extended Primary Care Team, taking a lead for designated projects.
Our mission is to make a positive difference to people's lives by improving the quality of life for all we serve. Our values are: We Care, We Respect, We are Inclusive - so we are looking for people who live and breathe these qualities when supporting service users and carers, and in their relationships with colleagues in the Trust and our partner organisations
Job description Job responsibilities
Please could you kindly refer to the job description and person specification attached to this vacancy.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- Occupational Therapy Degree or equivalent
- Registration with Health and Care Professions Council
- Evidence of successful completion of courses relevant to area of specialist knowledge and skills
- Maintenance of continuous professional development portfolio
Skills and Abilities Essential
- Specialist skills in relation to occupational therapy in the field of physical disability/community rehabilitation.
- Ability to work, communicate and negotiate with a wide range of professionals as a member of a multi-disciplinary team e.g. other health professionals, Social Services and other statutory and voluntary organisations.
- Ability to establish a therapeutic relationship with the client/family/carer, motivating them to participate in the therapeutic process.
- Ability to undertake all aspects of the occupational therapy process
- Advanced clinical reasoning skills, using knowledge, an occupational therapy model and experience to inform sound clinical judgment and decision making. Ability to apply these skills to effectively scrutinise the reasoning of others in supervision and Equipment provision.
- Ability to diagnose specific problems, devise and implement appropriate treatment programmes, and evaluate and modify the program
- Ability to apply specialist knowledge and skills in advising others on the care and treatment of clients in relation to specific specialism
- Evidence of good communication skills, both written and verbal, in relation to clinical and other areas of work.
- Ability to demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills with the client/family/carers including, listening, empathy and negotiation, ensuring that effective communication is achieved, particularly where barriers to understanding exist
- Ability to provide emotional support to the client/family/carers in stressful situations, e.g. coming to terms with the impact of a new, ongoing or deteriorating diagnosis and it's implications for their daily lives
- Ability to carry out therapeutic intervention, including gross and fine motor activities, using manual dexterity skills and physical stamina, e.g. using equipment or using manual handling techniques therapeutically during treatment
- Evidence of development of an area of specialist skill in the field of physical disability/community rehabilitation, e.g. seating/posture and positioning and/or splinting
- Ability and commitment to working within a non-discriminatory client-centred framework
- Ability to apply safe manual handling techniques to clients with complex disabilities arising from multiple pathologies
- Ability to work with both individuals and groups in a therapeutic setting
- Ability to manage clients and family/carers who can exhibit challenging behaviours
- Evidence of ability to clinically lead, supervise and manage junior staff and students
- Ability to reflect and critically appraise own and others performance
- Ability to manage workload independently, with excellent organisational, prioritisation and time management skills, taking into account both clinical and non-clinical elements
- Ability to assist and educate junior staff in prioritising their work load
- Ability to train others (junior staff, students, other disciplines) on both an individual and a group basis in the theory and practice of occupational therapy and in area of specialist knowledge
- Ability to apply specialist occupational therapy knowledge and skills in providing advice on policies, procedures and service delivery in relation to Extended Primary Care Team
- Ability to lead and manage occupational therapy provision within the NE Locality on a day to day basis
- Ability to take on the responsibility of deputising for the General Manager and/or Clinical Lead Occupational Therapist, e.g. in meetings both internal and external to the Trust.
- Ability to assist with departmental managerial procedures
- Ability to take a lead role in delegated tasks or projects e.g. audits
- Ability to engage and lead services in processes of change
- Ability to use a computer to enter statistics, produce assessment reports and use electronic patient record and equipment ordering systems e.g. ELMS, EMIS
- Ability to keep appropriate clinical and departmental records including statistics
- Specialist knowledge of the theory and practice of occupational therapy in relation to physical disability and community rehabilitation
- Evidence of understanding of physical disability issues
- Knowledge of legislation and national policy affecting Occupational Therapy with clients with physical disabilities in the community
- Knowledge of the roles of the multi-disciplinary team and other agencies involved in community rehabilitation.
- Knowledge of standardised assessments and their application to this client group
- Knowledge of the principles of clinical governance and its application
- Substantial experience in clinical post registration occupational therapy practice, including work with adults with complex physical disabilities and community rehabilitation
- Experience in training, supervising and managing others
- Experience of service development
- Ability and willingness to work on a number of different sites and within the community
- Evidence of a flexible approach to work
- Must demonstrate sensitivity to and respect for the needs and aspirations of clients and carers from all ethnic backgrounds
- Commitment to delivering occupational therapy that is grounded in and focused on occupation
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.