Following on from our recent successful Open Day, we would like to invite you to apply for a Band 6 Occupational Therapy role within the Secure and Specialist Learning Disability Division.
We have roles available across the different sites including Maghull Health Park, Hollins Park Warrington, Rathbone Hospital.
Due to transformation and internal promotion, we have exciting opportunities for Band 6 Occupational Therapists seeking to develop their clinical and operational knowledge, skills and experience across the low, medium and high secure pathway, working in a specialist role within forensic mental health and/or learning disability practice.
Occupational Therapy is an integral and valued profession within the MDT, supporting people on their recovery journey. This is achieved through the use of meaningful occupation, mitigating forensic risk and promoting a safe and purposeful life.
You will hold a complex case load and work collaboratively with service users, carers, MDT and wider agencies to promote and advocate an Occupational perspective in relation to a person's care, utilising evidence based assessment and treatment models (MOHO and VdTMoCA).
You will have access to a plethora of resources, an established and pro-active Band 7/AHP Senior Leadership Team and clinical and managerial supervision.
CPD opportunities to engage in further specialist training is actively encouraged, in line with service need and PACE development .
Main duties of the job
The successful individual will need to be enthusiastic, passionate, values-based, non judgemental, adaptable and highly motivated, with work experience/practise in mental health/learning disabilities.
See job description for full extent of principal responsibilities - in terms of clinical, communication, documentation, health and safety, personal/professional development, appraisal/supervision and professional standards.
Main duties of the job
- To function as an Occupational Therapist to a defined group of service users under the supervision of Band 7 OT lead, in accordance with HCPC and Occupational Therapy Code of Conduct.
- Provision of Occupational Therapy for service users with complex needs. Practice is to be underpinned by profession-specific theory and evidence-based practice .
- To consolidate knowledge and skills of Occupational Therapy in line with the Band 6 KSF competencies within the forensic Mental Health and Learning Disability environment.
- To undertake a full range of treatment techniques as a member of a multidisciplinary team in a forensic Mental Health and Learning Disability environment.
- To support the implementation of service development initiatives.
We encourage interested candidates to contact the team in advance of the interview to discuss the role and opportunities available.
Mersey Care is one of the largest trusts providing physical health and mental health services in the North West, serving more than 11 million people.
We offer specialist inpatient and community services that support physical and mental health and specialist inpatient mental health, learning disability, addiction and brain injury services. Mersey Care is one of only three trusts in the UK that offer high secure mental health facilities.
At the heart of all we do is our commitment to 'perfect care' - care that is safe, effective, positively experienced, timely, equitable and efficient. We support our staff to do the best job they can and work alongside service users, their families, and carers to design and develop future services together. We're currently delivering a programme of organisational and service transformation to significantly improve the quality of the services we provide and safely reduce cost as we do so.
Job description Job responsibilities
Details of the main roles and responsibilities can be found within the Job Description and Person Specification
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- BSc Degree/Diploma in Occupational Therapy
- Current Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC) Registration
- Post registration training in a therapeutic / intervention approach (e.g. Applied Behavioural Analysis and Intervention, CBT, SI, AMPS)
- Portfolio of CPD
- Forensic Risk Assessment (RSVP, HCR, START)
- Good computing skills (ECDL or Similar)
- Additional training in specific Occupational Therapy and sensory assessments
- Accredited Practice Placement Educator (e.g. APPLE)
- At least two years experience of working as an occupational therapist with people with learning disabilities and/or mental health.
- Experience of working with people with learning disabilities who offend
- Experience of managing own complex caseload
- Experience of using Occupational Therapy assessment tools and completing reports
- Experience of communicating and liasiing with people including internal and external agencies on complex matters, issues and ideas and/or in complex situations
- Experience of working with individuals who have complex needs
- Experience in the use of forensic risk assessment and management
- A good understanding of the Mental Capacity Act, DOLs, Safeguarding and the legal frameworks
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.