This post will provide clinical expertise within the Continence Service in Enfield. The service is provided to a multicultural and diverse population and aims to deliver a very high standard of care to all patients.
You will be expected to work in partnership with primary and secondary care colleagues and other agencies to ensure a smooth patient journey across the whole patient pathway, from diagnosis to end-of-life care. Self-care will be encouraged, and patients and carers will be actively involved in the development of care plans and the management of their condition.
The post holder will be expected to perform a comprehensive specialist assessment of patients with diverse presentations and complex physical and psychological conditions and develop and deliver an individualised treatment programme.
Main duties of the job
Please note interviews will take place on 14th July 2022.
- To act as lead nurse for the continence care service.
- To develop the continence care service and implement current best practices.
- Work autonomously to provide evidence-based, comprehensive, advanced assessment, treatments, and management of patients with highly complex needs, and to be able to instigate care pathways.
- To be responsible for the monitoring and evaluation of the continence care service, initiating patient satisfaction and clinical audits.
- Improve the patient and carer experience of the continence care service, through the introduction of care pathways.
- To work with and refer appropriately to other agencies to enable identified patients to be managed in a proactive way, with the aim of improving the patient and care experience.
- Develop newer ways of integrated working and, where appropriate, develop links with GPs and hospitals, ensuring clear pathways for referrals to and from the continence care service.
- To work in a culture that encourages continuous learning and develops skills in quality improvement.
- To be a champion for the continence care service and empower team members to enhance patient care.
- To be responsible for the day-to-day management of the continence care service.
Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust provide local, regional and national award-winning healthcare services. We have more than 3.300 staff working out of 20 main sites serving a population of 1.2 million people.We provide community health services and mental health services for young people, adults and older people. Our North London Forensic Service treats and cares for people in the criminal justice system who have mental health conditions. We also provide one of the largest eating disorders services in England, as well as drug and alcohol services.
We are an organisation that is passionate about equality, diversity and inclusion; one that prides itself in developing the leadership capabilities of its employees, looking after their health and wellbeing, creating safe spaces for staff to speak up and providing opportunities to mentor and be mentored.Our employees are the reason for delivering Good CQC ratings, excellent outcomes and outstanding patient experiences, so it is our aim to create a happy and healthy working environment where youcan thrive and succeed.
Job description Job responsibilities
To be professionally and legally accountable for all aspects of own work and work delegated to other staff.
To take responsibility for a delegated caseload, ensuring that the MDT is fully involved as required.
To ensure that patients and carers are involved in the planning of their care packages, using negotiation skills as appropriate.
To assess patient understanding of treatment proposals, gain valid informed consent and have the capacity to work within a legal framework with patients who lack the capacity to consent to treatment.
Use a range of verbal and non-verbal communication tools to communicate effectively with patients and carers to progress rehabilitation and treatment programmes.
When working in the community and domiciliary settings, work as a lone practitioner with telephone support from a more senior team member.
To be responsible for maintaining accurate comprehensive patient treatment records in line with NMC standards of practice and ECS/BEHMHT policies and to communicate assessment and treatment results to the appropriate disciplines in the form of reports and letters.
Represent continence service and/or individual patients at multi-disciplinary team meetings, to ensure delivery of a coordinated multidisciplinary service. This will include a discussion of patient care, patient progress and involvement in discharge planning.
Provide specialist continence advice to others regarding the management and care of patients.
To offer supervision and support to junior staff/students as required and to alert the line manager if any significant concerns are identified.
To use relevant clinical outcome measures to demonstrate the efficacy of the intervention.
Apply sound knowledge of clinical governance and risk management both to own caseload and that delegated to support staff.
To assist as required in recruitment, selection, CPD, discipline and staff development within our own service.
To assist deal with complaints as requested.
Person Specification Qualifications, training, knowledge and experience Essential
- Level 1 registered nurse.
- Highly developed specialist professional knowledge in managing patients with complex bladder and bowels issues, in conjunction with other long-term conditions, acquired through degree supplemented by experience and post graduate diploma specialist training in bladder and bowel care to masters equivalent level.
- Relevant specialist clinical experience and competence in bladder and bowel problems, planning and preparing teaching programmes, community services, practitioner-led clinics, professional practice and leadership.
- Knowledge of current drivers, and health and social care issues.
- Specialist knowledge of governance and risk strategies, and their application across healthcare settings.
- Experience of preparing and delivering training programmes and teaching.
- Experience of managing staff.
Communication skills Essential
- Communicate highly complex, sensitive or contentious patient information effectively, where there may be barriers to understanding, requiring negotiating, persuasive, motivational and reassurance skills.
- Give formal presentations to large groups of people.
- Encourage and support innovation, sharing expertise and supporting news ways of working.
Analytical and judgemental skills Essential
- Use analytical skills for the analysis of data relating to the service, patients, staffing issues and case management, dealing with complex facts or situations requiring analysis, interpretation, and comparison of a range of options.
- Devise systems for measuring progress against service objectives and continuously evaluate.
- Regularly assess on-going changes which could be made to continuously improve.
Planning and organisational skills Essential
- Develop clear and measurable objectives for the service.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate relevant educational programmes.
- Plan strategies which impact across the service and beyond.
Physical skills Essential
- Excellent IT skills, including the use of Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
- e use of Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Dexterity and accuracy required for insertion of catheters, etc. with a narrow margin for error.
Responsibility for patient care Essential
- Provide highly specialised advice to patients on bladder and bowel care.
- Provide highly specialised case management advice to multi-disciplinary teams.
- Accountable for service delivery.
Responsibility for policy and service development Essential
- Develop and implement integrated care policies across healthcare settings with the support of Service Manager.
Financial and physical resources Essential
Human resources Essential
- Line manager for the continence care service, including recruitment, development, performance.
- Teach, devise training and development programmes (major job responsibility).
Information resources Essential
- Maintains work-related records on RIO/ Trust electronic system.
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.