We are delighted to advertise two new consultant posts at Bradford District Care NHS Foundation Trust in the rapidly expanding Acute Liaison Psychiatry Service within Bradford Royal Infirmary and Airedale General Hospital.
1 WTE based at Bradford Royal Infirmary
0.6 WTE based at Airedale General Hospital
The service promotes the integration of specialist mental health care within the general hospitals. Acute Liaison Psychiatry Service enables 24/7 access to specialist mental health care. This is to provide specialist psychiatric assessment, advice and treatment for anyone with a known or suspected mental health need in the acute hospital. What you will get
- Supportive and friendly colleagues
- Personalised Coaching and Mentoring
- Weekly academic teaching
- Fortnightly Consultant Balint group
- Leadership and Development opportunities, including opportunity to become an appraiser and support to complete teaching certificate
- Generous study leave allowance (averaging 10 days per year and up to 30 days leave over 3 years with a budget of £1000 per annum)
- In addition to the annual leave entitlement as per the terms and conditions of Consultant contract, 8 days additional (on pro-rata basis) Time Off In Lieu.
- Generous relocation allowance (if applicable)
- Advanced health and wellbeing offers.
Closing Date: 3rd July 2022
Short Listing Date: 4th - 8th July 2022
Interview Date: 19th July 2022
Main duties of the job
The post holder will provide consultant responsibility to all patients referred, for their mental health needs aged 18 or over (without an upper age limit), by colleagues from their respective base hospital i.e Bradford Royal Infirmary for the Bradford post and Airedale General Hospital for the Airedale post. This will also include taking on RC responsibilities for patients aged 18 or over, detained under the safeguards of the Mental Health Act at their respective base hospital. (Please note that the medical responsibility for inpatients under the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services will not be part of the job role neither the older adult's inpatients under the care of the Older People's Mental Health Liaison Team. The RC role for these would be provided by medical colleagues from their respective teams).
Bradford District Care Trust is an award-winning Trust that provides a range of innovative services that have been recognised as best practice nationally. As a provider of care for people of all ages who have mental and/or community health needs we are dedicated to providing a high-quality service, close to where people live and as much as possible tailored to an individual's needs.
The Trust's purpose is to create connected communities and help people to feel as healthy as they can be at every point in their lives and our vision is to connect people to the best quality care, when and where they need it and be a national role model as an employer and provide our staff with the best place to work.
Everything we do is underpinned by our core values:
We Care - We act with respect and empathy, and always value difference
We Listen - We understand people's views and respond to their individual needs
We Deliver - We develop and provide excellent services and support our partners
Job description Job responsibilities
The Trust is a provider of award-winning mental health, learning disabilities and community health services to a growing population across a diverse district comprising urban and rural Bradford, Airedale, and Craven. The population is one of the most multicultural in Britain with over 100 languages.
The Care Trust Way has helped develop and maintain services and wellbeing including offering time to reflect and this was showcased in the 2020 NHS Provider report.
The The Care Trust Way approach was one of the finalists, in the Staff engagement award category, at the HSJ awards 2020.
In 2019-20, Dr M Khan, Associate Medical Director for Undergraduate Teaching and Training was awarded, by University of Leeds, Clinical Teaching Excellence Award (Individual)
and Bradford District Care Foundation Trust Undergraduate Medical Education Team were awarded Clinical Teaching Excellence Team Award.
Our vision, values and goals set out our ambitions and we are all dedicated to: 1. Our purpose
(what were here to do) - To create connected communities and help people to feel as healthy as they can be at every point in their lives 2. Our vision
(our long term goal) - To connect people to the best quality care, when and where they need it, and be a national role model as an employer. 3. Our values
(how well do it) - We care, We listen, We deliver 4. Our actions and goals
(what were focusing on) - All our activities will contribute to one or more of these goals: best quality services, seamless access, healthy as possible and for staff, best place to work. 5. And
Our core statement - better lives, together
, whether its our staff or the communities we serve.
The Acute Liaison Psychiatry Service at each site is split into two offers. Firstly a 24/7 urgent response service focused primarily on assessment and sign posting in the Emergency Departments. Secondly an in-reach service predominantly during office hours, focused on support, treatment, and discharge planning. The ALPS service will provide the post holder with a variety of opportunities to hone their clinical, teaching and service development skills. Dual training would be desirable but not essential.
The post holder will provide consultant psychiatry responsibility and leadership to meet the aims and objectives of the service as listed below:
- Provide equitable care and improve health outcomes for people with physical and mental health co-morbidity
- Improve patient experience/satisfaction and reduce psychological distress
- Provide a rapid response to referrals for assessment, support and advice
- Improve joint working with Acute hospital staff, reduce waiting time in the Emergency department
- To develop a strong working relationship with the senior leaders in acute hospital and contribute to further development of the service.
- Provide input into ward areas for assessment, review and on-going support
- Where possible and appropriate, be involved in assessments under the mental health act within the hospital
- Facilitate early and improved discharge planning reducing delays and blockages within the Acute pathways
- Reduce length of stay in the Acute Trust
- Increase discharge of people to their own homes as opposed to residential care
- Reduce re-attendance in the Emergency department, creating specialised plans of care for complex cases, employing a trauma informed approach
- Develop and support intoxication pathways within the hospital
- Develop quality pathways and relationships with partners
- Undertake a programme of training and education for both mental health and acute hospital staff.
- The consultant is expected to provide clinical leadership to the liaison team including team allocation and review.
- Allow direct access to the team
- The post holder is expected to work 9 5 pm; on call consultant provides cover out-of-hours
- Be based on the respective acute hospital site (Bradford Royal Infirmary for Bradford Post and Airedale General Hospital for Airedale Post).
The service will:
- Operate 24 hours, 7 days a week service
- Have a 1-hour maximum response time for the Emergency department and a 24 hour maximum for urgent referrals from all other areas
- Provide brief interventions in short term follow-up clinics
The staff of the Acute Liaison Psychiatric Service (ALPS) will be employed by Bradford District Care NHS Foundation Trust but will be based at the two acute hospital sites - Bradford Royal Infirmary and Airedale General Hospital. The nursing and allied health care staff is generously resourced. They function as highly autonomous practitioners, providing high quality assessments and interventions. Please see below for full details of the team composition at each site.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification
- Qualification or higher degree in medical education, clinical research or management
- Membership or Fellowship of the Royal College of Psychiatrists or equivalent qualification (in accordance with Royal College of Psychiatrists guidelines)
- Endorsement in liaison psychiatry or dual trained
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register for Liaison and/or Adult Psychiatry OR within six months of gaining CCT
- Approved clinician status and under S12 OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- In good standing with GMC with respect to warning and conditions on practice
Clinical Skills, Knowledge & Experience Essential
- Excellent knowledge in general adult psychiatry and liaison psychiatry
- Excellent clinical skills using bio-psycho-social perspective and wide medical knowledge
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Able to manage clinical complexity and uncertainty
- Makes decisions based on evidence and experience including the contribution of others
- Able to meet duties under MHA and MCA
- Wide range of specialist and sub-specialist experience relevant to post within NHS or comparable service
Academic Skills & Lifelong Learning Essential
- Able to deliver undergraduate or postgraduate teaching and training
- Ability to work in and lead team
- Demonstrate commitment to shared leadership & collaborative working to deliver improvement.
- Participated in continuous professional development
- Participated in research or service evaluation. Able to use and appraise clinical evidence.
- Has actively participated in clinical audit and quality improvement programmes
- Able to plan and deliver undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and training relevant to this post
- Reflected on purpose of CPD undertaken
- Experienced in clinical research and / or service evaluation.
- Evidence of achievement in education, research, audit and service improvement: awards, prizes, presentations and publications.
- Has led quality improvement projects leading to service change or improved outcomes to patients
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.