Specialty Doctor- Permanent Burntwood Villas Inpatient Community Rehabilitation Unit (Full-time - 10 PAs)
Springfield University Hospital (Ref: 294-MEDI-0188 )
We are looking for a Specialty Doctor to join the Burntwood Villas MDT. Situated at 210 Burntwood Lane, Tooting, SW17 OAN, Burntwood Villas is an Inpatient Community Rehabilitation Unit. This is a new and exciting opportunity to participate in the rehabilitation of service users back into the community.
Burntwood Villas is a locked door 15-bedded Inpatient Community Rehabilitation Unit which cares for patients from both Forensic and Acute Services. This service provides a step-down facility for individuals from forensic, complex rehabilitation, out of area services and acute pathways to prevent longer than required lengths of stay and provide a care pathway that fully enables recovery whilst offering a service that is most cost effective.
You will work with a full multi-disciplinary team to provide day to day care of patients on Burntwood Villas. You will join a peer group of core and higher trainees and consultant psychiatrists based at Springfield University Hospital
For an informal discussion regarding this post, please contact
Dr Aileen O'Brien, Consultant Psychiatrist
(mobile 07961 174521 or email Aileen.O'Brien@swlstg.nhs.uk) Closing Date: 26 June 2022 (11:59pm)
Main duties of the job
The post holder will be based at Burntwood Villas and will be employed for 10 PAs per week. It would be beneficial for the postholder to have approval under Section 12 of the Mental Health Act, but this can be facilitated during post.
The postholder will be responsible for the day-to day management of the fifteen patients at Burntwood Villas including-
. Providing medical treatment within a model of multi-disciplinary care
. Attend the weekly team meeting and monthly governance meeting
. Attend the weekly ward round
. Take part in assessment of referrals to the service
. Liaise with community teams
. Attend CPAs and document the outcome of CPAs
. Liaise with the patients' GP and medical specialists regarding physical health concerns
. Prepare reports for Mental Health Review Tribunals and Managers' Hearings and attend and give evidence at these
. Liaise with families and carers
This is a new post, created to provide more medical input to the ward, with the aim to optimize medical care and to improve flow.
The postholder will have access to office space at Springfield Hospital, where they will have their own desk and PC. The postholder will be eligible for a Trust laptop and phone.
There is a part-time administrator at Burntwood Villas to provide administrative support.
About us The post holder will contribute to the strategy for developing specialist rehabilitation services and for implementing research and audit in the community.Team and management structure of post
- Team: one part time consultant (0.5 WTE)
- Currently a higher trainee for one year (0.2 WTE)
- The post holder will be professionally accountable to the Medical Director, with operational accountability to the Burntwood Villas RC.
Job description Job responsibilities
Day Time Type of work/activity Category PAs
Monday AM Ward work DCC 1 PM Ward round SPA 1
Tuesday AM Ward work DCC 1 PM Admin DCC 1
Weds AM CPAs/ tribunals/ manager hearings SPA/DC 0.5/0.5 PM Team meeting and supervision DCC 1
Thur AM Ward work/ assessments DCC 1 PM Academic programme SPA 1
Friday AM Supervision/ ward work SPA/ DCC PM SPA (audit etc) SPA 1
Unpredictable / emergency on- call work Availability supplement
Total number of PAs Direct clinical care 5 Supporting professional activities 1
Person Specification Skills Essential
- oRegistered General Medical Practitioner
- oAbility to work within a multi-disciplinary team
- oApproval under Section 12 of the Mental Health Act
- oDay to day responsibility of acute medical and psychiatric care.
- oExperience of working with people with mental health problems
- oExperience of working with people with alcohol and/or substance misuse. oExperience of working in forensic or prison settings oPersonal experience of mental health
- oExperience of working in forensic or prison settings
- oPersonal experience of mental health
Knowledge & Qualifications Essential
- oMB BS or equivalent basic medical degrees
- oMRC Psych
- oFull GMC registration
- oRight to work in the UK
- oFurther qualifications relevant to psychiatry, especially forensic psychiatry, e.g. MSc, LLM etc.
Personal Qualities Essential
- oGood spoken and written English. Capacity to communicate effectively and sensitively with others
- oCapacity to work co-operatively with others and show leadership when appropriate
- oCapacity to work effectively in multi-professional and multi-agency teams and to understand own role in team
- oCapacity and motivation to treat others with understanding and sensitivity and to see patients as people
- oCapacity to see beyond the obvious and to bring a range of approaches to solving problems
- oResilience to cope with external pressures and demands
- oPunctuality. Ability to manage time and to prioritise tasks according to clinical and other needs
- oAlertness to dangers and emerging situations
- oProfessional and personal integrity
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.