We are seeking to recruit a substantive Consultant Psychiatrist to join our excellent MDT on Ash Ward a 19 bed male acute ward, in Leagrave near Luton, south Bedfordshire. The successful applicant will take over from Dr Kurt Buhagiar, Associate Clinical Director, who will be moving back to be consultant for Crystal Ward after it reopens following it temporary closure for building works to take place scheduled for August 2022.
PLEASE VIEW A SHORT VIDEO FOUND IN THE ATTACHMENTS TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT MEDICAL PSYCHIATRIST CAREERS IN LUTON AND BEDFORDSHIRE .
Main duties of the job
You will provide consultant clinical leadership for the ward, and will be well supported by a middle grade and 2 junior doctors alongside, an excellent and well-functioning MDT including Matron, Ward Manager, excellent nursing team with fulltime support from OT and Psychology.
Our mission is to make a positive difference to people's lives by improving the quality of life for all we serve. Our values are: We Care, We Respect, We are Inclusive - so we are looking for people who live and breathe these qualities when supporting service users and carers, and in their relationships with colleagues in the Trust and our partner organisations
Job description Job responsibilities
Please kindly refer to the job description and person specification attached to this vacancy.
Closing date: 19th June 2022
AAC panel date: 8th July 2022
Person Specification QUALIFICATIONS Essential
- Fully registered with the General Medical Council
- Eligible for inclusion in the GMC Specialist Register (or Specialist Registrar within 6 months of gaining CCT at time of interview).
- Membership or Fellowship of the Royal College of Psychiatrists or equivalent qualification (in accordance with Royal College of Psychiatrists guidelines)
- Eligible for Section 12 Approval (Mental Health Act)/ Approved Clinician or willing to apply for such approval once in post.
- A higher degree such as MD or PhD
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE Essential
- Experience of clinical work in Acute Adult Psychiatry at SpR, SASG or consultant level within the last 3 years
- Excellent working knowledge and experience of the application of the Mental Health Act
- Appreciation and understanding of ethnic minority issues and a commitment to developing culturally sensitive practices
- Understanding of social factors relevant to psychiatry
- Robust experience of working with severe and enduring mental illness and risk assessment, management
- Experience of service development and introducing new services in mental health
- Experience of working at consultant level in an inpatient environment.
ORGANISATIONAL SKILLS/ ABILITIES Essential
- Leadership skills
- Ability to work as a part of multidisciplinary, multi-model team
- Ability to manage complex workloads and support others to do that
- Consultation skills to services, teams and individuals
- Commitment to working in multidisciplinary setting
- Commitment to working with service users on service development
- Formal leadership and management training
- Experience of team /service leadership
- Experience of organisational development work
- Project management ability
CLINICAL SKILLS AND SUPERVISION Essential
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary team and provide leadership for the team
- Self-motivating and innovative
- Expertise in risk assessment
- Confident in therapeutic risk taking
- Commitment to clinical governance
- Experience in supervising trainee doctors and SAS doctors
- Experience in teaching junior staff
- Good teaching and communication skills
- Experience of teaching medical undergraduates and postgraduates
- Experience of teaching non-medical mental health professionals
- Medical education qualification
RESEARCH AND AUDIT Essential
- Experience of research work and/or ability to interpret research findings and apply them to clinical practice.
- Audit experience
- Experience of grant-funded project work
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals in relevant academic fields
- Experience of QI
OTHER REQUIREMENTS Essential
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.