To provide, and supervise the delivery of high standards of nursing care to inpatients suffering from eating disorders, in accordance with up-to-date evidence based professional practice and Trust policies.
Participate in the assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of nursing care without direct supervision and to act as key worker with a specific group of patients. Supervise practice and procedures in line with Trust policies. Manage, co-ordinate and lead nursing shifts. Take a key role in the induction, training and when appropriate mentorship of new and unregistered staff, and provide clinical supervision as appropriate.
Main duties of the job
Eating Disorders is a service benefitting from evolution and is seen as a critical area for development, so we have a strong emphasis of supporting staff see their careers progress. This allows for colleagues to move within the service gaining experience, knowledge or promotion as their employment journey in CNWL goes forward.
An opportunity has become available for Registered Mental Health Staff Nurses to develop their expertise in a specialist Eating Disorder Service, based in Vincent Square Clinic which is a specialist eating disorder service centrally located in Chelsea. The unit has capacity for 15 inpatients, 12 day patients and also has a busy outpatient service as well as a Children and Young peoples service.
We also have a satellite outpatient clinic at Northwick Park Hospital.You will work within the highly experienced and dedicated MDT in developing and implementing care for patients, you will receive support from your Ward Manager and Matron to help you develop your PDP and Re validation portfolio.
The ability to maintain boundaries is required for the post and candidates should be skilled in reflection and understanding of team dynamics.
About us Protected training time
Experience of working with Eating Disorders is desirable but not essential for this post as we will provide an orientation program to adapt your skills and abilities to this speciality.
We also know that working in Eating Disorders is a specialist and demanding area. We know you will need to develop skills and abilities as part of your professional development which is why we have a weekly teaching session, weekly reflective practice and access to training opportunities such as positive behaviour support (PBS), Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT). Leadership development program? Preceptorship? Great career prospects
- stay with us and we can develop your career either by gaining experience in CAMHS or specialisation into other Eating Disorder service areas
The successful applicant may have contact with patients or service users. As an NHS Trust we strongly encourage and support vaccination as this remains the best way to protect yourself, your family, your colleagues and of course patients and service users when working on our healthcare settings
Job description Job responsibilities
- Ensure nursing practice is in accordance with the NMC Code of Professional Conduct and Mental Health Legislation, which incorporates and respects differences in respect of gender, sexuality, ethnicity, religion, culture and disability
- Develop, implement & evaluate programmes of care using a problem solving approach that ensures the needs of each individual patient are met throughout their admission, including detailed arrangements for discharge in line with the trust Care Programme Approach
- Participate as an active member of the multidisciplinary team, accountable for your practice, and work in partnership with other health care professionals, patients and others in the delivery of care
- Participate in feeding of patients which includes serving meals and modelling appropriate eating patterns with patients in the dinning room and assisted feeding using Nasal gastric tube or PEG
Person Specification Education and Qualifications Essential
- oRegistered Mental Health Nurse.
- oCurrent Registration with NMC
- oPMVA or C&R training or equivalent
Previous Experience Essential
- oPost registration experience, having completed Foundation Gateway or has genuine interest in specialist nursing
- oHave some understanding of nursing in eating disorders
- Experience of working with Eating Disorders
- oExperience of working with people with personality disorders
Skills Knowledge and Abilities Essential
- oAble to build constructive relationships with warmth and empathy, using good communication skills and maintaining professional boundaries at all times.
- oAble to treat service users with respect and dignity at all times, adopting a culturally sensitive approach, which considers the needs of the whole person.
- oKnowledge of Care Programme Approach and risk assessment.
- oAble to utilise reflective practice in supervision.
- oTo assess care needs, make care plan and implement and review it
- oGenuine interest in working with people with severe eating disorders
- oSome knowledge of eating disorders
- oTo work effectively within a multi- disciplinary team.
- oTo demonstrate a working knowledge of the MHA Act and other relevant legislation.
- oWilling to undertake venopuncture and ECG recording
- oExcellent verbal and written communication skills.
- oMust be computer literate
- oExperience with working in eating disorders.
- oKnowledge of recent issues in nursing and Mental Health
- oKnowledge of relevant factors in nursing patients with eating disorders
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.