The Coborn Centre for Adolescent Mental Health
Head of Occupational Therapy
1 WTE / 37.5hours
The Coborn Centre for Adolescent Mental Health is an in-patient unit for young people aged between 12-18 years with acute mental health problems and complex mental health needs. The unit comprises of a twelve bedded Acute in-patient ward, an eleven bedded Psychiatric intensive care unit (PICU) + a four bedded PICU and six places in the Day service.
Main duties of the job
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Head of Occupational Therapy, Band 8B who has excellent leadership skills and clinical expertise to join our team. The role will require skills in managing an Occupational Therapy Team closely with the Lead Occupational Therapist (8A). This post would suit an Occupational Therapist who has specialist experience and skills in Adolescent mental health field and enjoys working with young people. This post offers you the opportunity to lead a great team and work collaboratively with leads from other disciplines to offer young people and their families an exceptional standard of care. We would like the person in post to be continuously improving the service. It is a full time post which will involve some shift working.
The post will offer you the opportunity to work in an innovative specialist service which encourages learning and self development. We offer regular formal and informal supervision to support you to further develop your management and clinical skills. We offer opportunities to be involved in Quality Improvement projects, to build on leadership skills and manage a team. The Head of Occupational Therapy will plan the training needs for the Occupational Therapy team working within the service and will be working collaboratively with the nursing teams on the wards.
Our mission is to make a positive difference to people's lives by improving the quality of life for all we serve. Our values are: We Care, We Respect, We are Inclusive - so we are looking for people who live and breathe these qualities when supporting service users and carers, and in their relationships with colleagues in the Trust and our partner organisations.
Job description Job responsibilities
For an informal discussion, please contact Steffney Kamara, General Manager at The Coborn Centre on Tel: 020 7540 6789 / email: Steffney.firstname.lastname@example.org
Person Specification Education/ Qualification/ Training Essential
- oDiploma or degree in Occupational Therapy.
- oFurther qualification at Master's level or equivalent experience
- oHCPC Registration
- oMember of the British Association of Occupational Therapy
- oExperience of CPD and role development activities
- oFieldwork Educator Training
- Member of the British Association of Occupational Therapy
- oTraining in Quality Improvement methods
- oSubstantive experience in a number of senior manager roles including professional leadership experience
- oEvidence of Service Development activities
- oRecent significant experience at a senior level in the NHS with proven track record of using professional knowledge to bring about change.
- oProven track record and significant experience of working with users and carers
- oExperience of staff leadership development to support service improvement
- oExperience in mental health services
- oExperience of other healthcare settings
Knowledge and Skills Essential
- oAdvanced clinical knowledge and leadership skills to support service decision making in complex scenarios
- oKnowledge of how mental health difficulties impact upon occupational functioning and performance and the potential for OT intervention
- oIn depth understanding of NHS strategy and policy agendas
- oIn depth knowledge of Clinical Governance principles, including their sound application in novel settings
- oKnowledge of COT standards of practice and their application
- oTo have highly developed interpersonal skills, political awareness and sensitivity to support change within the service, the wider organisation and externally. Ability to negotiate, influence and manage conflict as required
- oAbility to communicate difficult information
- oExpert facilitation skills. Coaching and mentoring skills
- oHighly developed analytical and problem solving skills for the assessment of service delivery plans and formulation of quality improvement strategies
- oIT skills
- oGood organisational and time management skills. Ability to manage multiple projects
- oAbility to maintain the profile of OT within a MDT and the organisation
- oKnowledge of Quality Improvement (QI) approaches
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.