We are looking for a highly motivated, compassionate and experienced substance misuse nurse to join our small friendly team.
We are a busy team community drug and alcohol treatment team working across West Essex.
We work with some of the most challenging and vulnerable patients in the community.
Main duties of the job
We are looking a nurse with a proven background working within the substance misuse field.
You will work as a member of Essex STaRS in providing high quality, evidence-based, holistic nursing care to service users in line with your NMC professional code of conduct and Trust policies. You will jointly assess, plan, implement and evaluate specialist prescribing packages of care based upon individual service user needs, under the guidance of the Independent Non-Medical Prescriber as per NICE guidance.
As required by your Team Manager, you will have responsibility for the day to day supervision and management of lower banded staff within your professional group and team locality. This will include the management of these staff in line with agreed Trust HR processes.
You will be expected to work collaboratively with key partner organisations, service users, carers, clinicians and other practitioners within the service delivering services.
We are a friendly team who provide the prescribing part of our patients care .The psychosocial side of their care is provided by the various agencies that we work in partnership with.
We have a strong work ethic and staff can often go above and beyond for our patients and this has been recognised in our staff winning staff recognition rewards.
No two days are ever the same and our working life can often be hectic, stressful but rewarding.
Job description Job responsibilities
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES NON-CLINICAL
- Provide and oversee the management and care of service users requiring specialist prescribing interventions within Essex STaRS.
- Produce accurate and timely documentation, conduct and manage the maintenance of accurate and timely documentation/records on all service users in line with your professional code of conduct and Trust
- Oversee the conduct/contribute to the assessment process, as well as the observation and ongoing assessment, providing accurate and timely feedback
- Conduct risk assessment of the individual and of the potential hazards in the service users environment
- Attend joint multi-disciplinary meetings i.e. referral/review/business
- Report and document incidents as required
- Conduct and oversee physical health care checks and act upon the findings
- Lead, facilitate and support group work such as pre-detox, health promotion
- Responsible for administration of medications, assessment of side effects, review concordance and clinical effectiveness of medication regime in line with Trust policy including
- Safe transportation and storage of medicines, checking receipt, storage of medicines in medicine cupboard
- Provide education around the medication prescribed, side effects, actions and aids to
- Provide education and support to develop service users understanding of substance misuse/mental illness and training packages for staff
- Provide interventions, education and support to develop service users understanding of substance misuse/mental illness with aim to prevent relapse and training packages for
- Provide practical support, guidance and education for service users, carers
- Undertake carers assessment in line with the Trusts key performance indicators
- Be competent in use of relevant screening and assessment tools and supervise lower banded staff to undertake this
- Provide comprehensive assessment, care planning, treatment and review of care in line with the requirements of Public Health England
- Provide formulation, delivery and review of individualised evidence based care/care packages according to NICE guidance including non-medication strategies
- Lead in the continuing development of a high quality service that is underpinned by evidence based practice, care pathways/packages and NICE and DH Guidance
- Identify, assess and manage clinical and non-clinical risks/hazards in your area through the completion of the relevant risk assessments
- Implement the risk treatment plans for inclusion in the local and Trusts risk registers through the Risk Management department
- Participate in audit and research
- Undertake physical health checks of service users including the administration of vaccines and dry blood spot testing and act on the findings appropriately
- Understand and utilise Health and Social Care commissioned services, demonstrating an empathetic approach of Fairer Access to Care Services
- Manage and coordinate multi-disciplinary meetings i.e. referral/ review/business/handover
- Take part in service development and review
- Participate in the recruitment process for clinical staff as required
- Ensure the service meets the agreed performance/contractual targets and adheres to local and government initiatives
- Provide clinical and managerial leadership and expertise to service.
- Work closely with and assist Team Manager/professional lead with development and implementation of service operational policies
- Deliver training where appropriate for other professionals
- Manage the nursing capability process as appropriate
- Promote the Nursing Strategy within the Trust.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- experience working within substance misuse field
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.