The successful candidate will have the exciting opportunity to work across various criminal justice settings within Birmingham, this role if predominantly within the Prison Leavers Service which will be transitioning to a RECONNECT model however as part of the role there will be the opportunity to also work within Police Custody, Birmingham Magistrates and Crown Courts, and Outreach in the community.
We are looking for versatile, motivated , professionally qualified nurses, social workers or allied health professionals with experience to deliver a service to vulnerable individuals who are often the most marginalised within society. You will offer them hope that they can recover from their plight, leading in assisting them in their diversion away from the criminal justice system.
We have a committed, motivated, hardworking and skilled team and offer excellent career development opportunities. The team holds a strong recovery focused ethos, and you will work alongside partner agencies, including the police, peer mentors, probation and court staff, to name a few.
Main duties of the job
You will need:
- Excellent communication skills
- Abilities to work collaboratively with partner agencies
- Be a suitably qualified professional (Nurse, Social Worker, etc)
- To be able to inform and promote decision making around those with complex care needs (mental health, substance misuse, homelessness, learning disability, youth or any other vulnerability).
The aim of the scheme is to;
- Improve access to healthcare and support services for vulnerable individuals and a reduction in health inequalities
- Divert individuals, where appropriate, out of the youth and criminal justice systems into health, social care or other supportive services
- Deliver efficiencies within the youth and criminal justice systems
- Reduce re-offending or escalation of offending behaviours
Welcome to Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust. Our 4000 clinical and support staff help us to improve mental health wellbeing and meet the needs of the 70,000 people we serve each year. We provide a range of mental healthcare services across Birmingham and Solihull, as well as specialised services nationally. We also offer medical, nursing and psychology training and are proud of our international reputation for both research and innovation.
Our population is culturally diverse, characterised in places by high levels of deprivation which create an increasing demand for our services and a necessity for us to make sure everyone can access the help they need. We are a team of compassionate, inclusive and committed people working together to provide excellent care to support our community. If you are looking for a place to belong, where you can make a real difference to people's lives, join our team where our warm welcome is waiting for you.
Job description Job responsibilities
For further information about the main responsibilities please view the attached job description and person specification. ** Please Note: This post is subject to Level 2 Police Vetting clearance / You will also be required to undergo vetting in relation to accessing HMP estates **
The successful candidate will need to submit an application for police vetting. Once this has been returned clear, you will be able to progress with scheduling a start date. The process can take up to 3 months - depending on West Midlands Police.
Person Specification QUALIFICATIONS Essential
- Current Professional Registration - including; Social Worker, Occupational Therapist, Psychology, RMN(H) or other allied health professional relevant to the role (degree level).
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS Essential
- oAbility to screen referrals and clarify when consultation is appropriate and/or onward to referral to specialist services is needed.
- oAbility to promote recovery as an embedded part of the philosophy of the individual and team.
- Understanding of multiple and complex needs
- oExtensive experience of working in mental health as a qualified professional
Analytical and judgement skill Essential
- oAbility to analyse complex facts and situations, making clinical interpretations and formulating outcomes with corresponding follow-up
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.