CNWL are excited to offer a rare opening for a Consultant Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist to lead a renowned children's in-patient unit at an attractive and convenient Central London location. As one of only two such units in London, the post will attract an energetic, innovative and dedicated child and adolescent psychiatrist with creative ideas for service development and ideally experience of in-patient work. There is a stable senior management team and close collaboration with the nearby general adolescent unit in CNWL, Lavender Walk. Collingham enjoys a strong reputation and the successful candidate will further develop the unit's regional and national role and expertise in management of children and young people admitted to Collingham.
Main duties of the job
The role of the consultant psychiatrist will be to provide dedicated, high quality medical care and treatment for children and their families presenting with a range of mental health and developmental difficulties. The successful applicant will part of a senior clinical leadership team which consists of the Clinical Nurse Manager and Therapy Lead. The post holder will be interested in developing and delivering innovative interventions and will have excellent skills in engaging with children and young people and will enjoy working as part of an MDT. Suitable candidates will have a high level of clinical skills in assessment and intervention, offering needs led service, utilizing shared decision making and drawing flexibly on a range of models, theories and approaches in their work. Equally important to the role is the provision of consultancy, supervision and training to professional colleagues and being an important part of the national commissioning and referral pathways for children's inpatient units.
Central and North West London (CNWL) specialises in caring for people with a wide range of mental and physical health needs and is one of the largest mental health trusts in England. The CAMHS service line covers 5 boroughs, each with its own community CAMHS, as well as two in-patient units; Collingham Child and Family Centre and Lavender Walk Adolescent Unit, and specialist crisis services for young people. This postholder would have the benefit of being part of the team's monthly CPD sessions and Tier 4 care quality meeting, and there is an active and strong CAMHS Consultant body. CNWL has maintained 25% SPA time for Consultants and there are multiple opportunities for teaching, QI projects, academic research (via Imperial College), and other special interests.
Job description Job responsibilities Clinical duties include
Management duties include:
- Provide psychiatric assessment, including risk assessment, for children referred to, and those admitted to the service. There will be up to 12 children admitted to the day- and in-patient unit, required psychiatric input by the Consultant and junior medical staff, and average 2 referral consultations per week for the postholder.
- Provide treatment for children admitted to the service.
- Working in partnership with young people, parents and carers to develop evidence-based, effective and agreed care plans.
- Coordinating multiagency packages of care, treatment and support for young people and their families with complex mental health problems.
- Providing consultation, advice and appropriate support to professionals in the wider network of the young person and/or family.
- Co-ordinate clinical liaison with clinicians in other Tier 3 services and other agencies.
- Contributing to the CNWL Out of Hours consultant psychiatric on-call rota.
- Auditing of psychiatric practice and multidisciplinary work.
- Ensure effective communication with referring and receiving teams throughout the Trust, (including the local urgent/crisis CAMHS team); and regionally/ nationwide.
- Recording of clinical activity and prompt submission of returns in line with service requirements.
- Maintaining accurate, contemporaneous medical notes in line with the Trusts record keeping policy.
Clinical supervision duties include
- Take a leadership role within the team and provide appropriate support and supervision to other team members. They will provide specialist psychiatric advice to the multidisciplinary team at Collingham.
- In partnership with colleagues, developing common clinical policies and guidelines for the teams.
- Identifying areas of unmet needs and alerting the Service Manager and line manager/clinical director if appropriate.
- Collaborate with the Service Manager in the development of an inpatient based service in line with commissioning requirements and service development plan.
- Active involvement in the Quality Improvement programme for Tier 4 within the organisation
- Active involvement in local Care Quality and Performance Group
- If the post is a job share with another part time Consultants, with the other consultant psychiatrist, participating in the planning, distribution and allocation of clinical, administrative, professional and managerial tasks.
- Attending and chairing regular meetings as described in the job plan.
- Contribute to the strategic development of specialist CAMHS Inpatient Services in association with the NHSE Regional Advisor for CAMHS, NWL STP and the Trusts management structure. The Unit Leads (including Consultant) attend the weekly National Specialist Referrals Meeting for Tier 4 Childrens In-patient Units and work closely with other local and national providers to manage referrals.
- Sharing with colleagues responsibility for the day to day management of the Unit and team.
You will be providing clinical supervision to a CAMHS Specialist Registrar, CT3 doctor and FY2 who are be based on the unit. Liaison duties include
- Liaison with other services, agencies and professionals as appropriate to clinical work, management tasks or service development or as agreed with other consultant colleague.
- Linking with CAMHS, learning disability services, etc. regarding the transfer of care of young people in accordance with the Trust Protocols.
All Child and Adolescent Consultants across the Trust participate in the out of hours on-call rota, which is currently 1:15 - with CT1-3 doctors being first on call and ST4-6 doctors being second on call. The Consultant on Call rota includes all general hospital sites within CNWL with emergency departments and paediatric services. These are St Marys, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, Hillingdon Hospital and Northwick Park Hospital. Collingham Child and Family Centre and the Adolescent Inpatient Unit are also covered by the on call rota. The banding is category A with 3% uplift in salary.
Person Specification Education and Qualifications Essential
- Full GMC Registration
- Section 12 MHA Approved
- Approved Clinician status or willing to apply for approval GMC Licence to Practice
- MRCPsych (or equivalent)
- Inclusion on the Specialist Register for Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (or CCT expected within 6 months of interview date)
- An additional post graduate qualification of relevance to working with children and adolescents
Experience, Skills and Abilities Essential
- Competence in psycho- pharmacology and also non- medication therapeutic approaches
- Experience and training in the assessment and management of cases with complex presentations with high risk
- Knowledge of Clinical Governance/Care Quality
- Able to participate in Medical Audit and Quality Improvement
- Experience of teaching and supervision of junior staff and other disciplines
- Experience of Consultant Leadership and Management of CAMHS Tier 4 In-patient Units
- Experience of Research
- Experience in Paediatrics
- Paediatric liaison experience
Personal Skills & Qualities Essential
- Excellent communication and empathic skills
- Demonstrable leadership skills including Capacity to respond positively to the changing nature of an acute inpatient setting
- Experience of team working
- Sound organisational skills
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Cultural Sensitivity and ability to work in multi ethnic environment
- Declared medically fit by the Occupational Health Department to perform the duties of the post
- Computer Literate
- Full UK car driving licence
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.