Are you a newly qualified nurse or experienced Registered Nurse, looking for a new challenge in a supportive environment where you can be part of an experienced Multi-Disciplinary Team?
If your answer is yes, then this is role for you.
The role offers you the opportunity to become a specialist in Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS), and the chance to be involved in cutting-edge care and support.
We are looking for candidates who are
- Qualified, RN, RMN or LD Nurse or in the final year of your RMN/LD course (students qualifying within 3 months).
- Passionate about mental health and working with Children, young people and families / carers
- Have an understanding of multidisciplinary services and the challenges that children and young people with mental health problems face.
- Have an excellent understanding of safeguarding and how to work within professional boundaries.
- Career Progression pathways and development opportunities:
We have a strong commitment to education and training with an on-site Practice Development Manager to guide you through a CAMHS specific induction, preceptorship and band 6 pathway. Our Nursing teams offer a progressive and supportive environment to develop and mentor individuals by utilising in-house resources as well as strong links with external education providers, the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience (IoPPN) and our newly established CAMHS Nursing Academy.
Main duties of the job
As a Registered Nurse your role encompasses the direct care of the young people on the ward as well as the co-ordination of care given by colleagues. You will need to be responsive and adaptive to the wards needs with a strong ability to engage with the young people and their families. Alongside the multi-disciplinary team, you will be expected to develop individualised, recovery focused plans and ensure best practise to comply with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) code of professional conduct. There is a strong emphasis on communication, an openness to learn and reflect and to have a proactive engagement work style, with a commitment to supporting the team.
The main duties of your role will include holding the position of Nurse in Charge on shift as well as completing; dynamic and individualised risk assessments and management of risk incidences, clinical handovers and planning, leadership and decision making, safe medication management, communication and team working and the supervision and support of junior staff where required.
We are proud to offer flexible working as part of our new ways of working, and we are happy to talk flexible working and what this looks like in an inpatient setting at the interview stage. As this role is based within inpatient services, the successful candidate must be able to work a variety of shifts covering seven days a week. This includes; weekends, night shifts and bank holidays as rostered.
SLaM has the largest and most specialised CAMHS services in the country and is on the forefront of personalised support for children and young people. We pride ourselves in delivering personalised support to children, young people and their families / carers.
We are recruiting for all inpatient CAMHS teams within SLaM. You will be able to give your preference for team or location during the recruitment process. Our wards consist of:
Maudsley Hospital (headquarters)
- Snowsfields Adolescent Unit based at the Maudsley Hospital.
- Bethlem Adolescent Unit based at the Bethlem Royal Hospital
- Bethlem Adolescent PICU based at the Bethlem Royal Hospital
- Acorn Lodge Children's Unit based at the Bethlem Royal Hospital
Our Trust headquarters is located at Denmark Hill less than 5 minutes from the train station (zone 2) and is within walking distance from the beautiful green spaces of Ruskin park and the vibrant high-street that offers great shopping opportunities and with a wide range restaurants. Bethlem Royal Hospital
Bethlem Royal Hospital is based in a beautiful setting in over 200 acres of green space in the London Borough of Bromley, South East London. The hospital has easy access to nearby main roads and have offers free parking. The site is within walking distance from of Eden Park and West Wickham overland stations.
Job description Job responsibilities
Main responsibilities of the job include, but are not limited to:
- Person centred care
- Formulating and documenting a plan of nursing care where possible in partnership with the young person (patient), carers, family and friends including personal choices/likes/dislikes/wishes
- Evaluating and documenting the outcomes of nursing interventions
- Personal care (bathing, dressing and support in laundry)
- Nutrition and hydration (monitor and ensure adequate intake with continue review and assessment of when the escalate concerns and develop care plans and interventions appropriate to the individual need)
- Emotional and social support
- Rest and sleep
- Promoting recovery
- Promoting independence
- Community access/social inclusion (escorts)
- Engaging with activities of their interest
- Engaging young people (patients) in group activities & education
- Risk assessment and risk management
- Undertaking individual risk assessments as per Trust policy
- Engaging in 1-1 sessions, listening, responding and reporting
- Prevention and management of aggression and violence including providing verbal de-escalation before use of potential hands on care to prevent injury to self and others using approved techniques such as PSTS/PMVA and ABLS/ILS after undertaking appropriate training, assessment and deemed competent
- Reducing Self-harm and promoting suicide prevention (involving use of DBT techniques, de- escalation in challenging situations)
- Recognising service user health deterioration and taking action monitoring physical health, checking vital signs such as Blood Pressure, Pulse, Respiration, Temperature, Saturation, Blood glucose, Glasgow coma scale.
- Knowledge of the Modified Early Warning Signs (MEWS)
- Reporting incidents as per Trust policy
- Safe use of medical devices
- Implementing safe and therapeutic observations policy levels
- Safe transfer of individuals
- Resuscitation procedure
- Fire warden
- Safeguarding and duty of candour
- Understanding and implementing safeguarding procedures.
- Understanding and implementing duty of candour
- Infection control
- Understanding and implementing of infection control measures
- Maintaining a clean environment including equipment (decontamination)
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- Registered Adult Nurse and/or Registered Mental Health Nurse and/or Registered Learning Disabilities Nurse
- Experience of research-based/reflective practice, e.g. understanding and ability to use supervision to reflect on skills, attitude and knowledge and develop these by using evidence based practice.
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.