Are you an experienced and ambitious RMN looking for a new challenge within a developing service?
Help us achieve our vision for neuromodulation in Somerset! Due to service expansion, an exciting opportunity has arisen to join our Neuromodulation Team. We are actively seeking an individual who wants to contribute to our vision of providing cutting edge, patient centred and compassionate nursing care in neuromodulation. We are interested in hearing from people who can make a difference with their drive, positive outlook, dedication and expertise.
Main duties of the job
You will contribute to delivery of both ECT and rTMS so previous experience in these treatments would be an advantage. You will support the development and promotion of this service, ensuring the highest standards are met in keeping with national guidance.
You will be joining a dynamic and innovative team including Psychiatrists, Anaesthetists and support staff, who are dedicated to delivering the most up to date treatment options for depression as well as conditions, which currently fall outside of the NICE guidelines. Full training will be provided as necessary.
We are heavily committed to quality improvement, innovation and teamwork. We have achieved Royal College of Psychiatrists ECTAS accreditation.
The role will provide opportunities for you to develop your clinical skills making a difference to our patients who require treatment.
Relocation packages are available.
As an organisation, the NHS offers a wide range of benefits including flexible working, pension contributions, market leading annual leave allowance, career progression and regular conversations, not to mention our Blue Light Card and NHS exclusive discounts.
The benefits of working in Somerset include the idyllic countryside, with our areas of outstanding beauty and stunning coastlines. You will get to enjoy these perks whilst still only being a stone's throw away from bustling city centres like Bristol, Bath and Exeter and only two hours away from London.
There are excellent educational facilities in the area and, when compared to other regions, house prices are reasonable. You will experience the best of both in Somerset, the countryside and the cosmopolitan - there is truly something for everyone!
Job description Job responsibilities
- Work with all members of the health care team to provide optimal care to the patient throughout his/her ECT experience.
- Provide patient education during all phases of the patient's experience in ECT.
- To observe, report and record changed in the patients physical, mental health and behavior
- Being responsible for the safe recovery of patients receiving ECT.
- Review the patient chart and health history to assure that the necessary ECT and rTMS evaluations have been completed. Ensure that consent form has been signed.
- Receive patient in the recovery room after treatment (ECT). Assess and evaluate the patient. Continuously monitor the patient during his recovery phase. Document the status of the patient and the care provided.
- Ensure all obligations of the Mental Health Act and the Code of Practice are fulfilled and other mental health legislation is complied with in accordance with the Care Management Systems
- To ensure that the patient has cardiovascular and respiratory stability, an adequate temperature and relief from pain as well as neurological competence following treatment.
- Undertake mandatory training annually as required including, Manual handling, fire safety and ILS. Undertake the ECT Nurse course, to attend ECT Team Day/Nalnect Day/Special interest group for Nurses and to attend any other specific training needed for the role
- The post holder will be trained in the delivery of rTMS.
- To develop and improve care, facilitating the process of change.
- To create and maintain professional supportive relationship with all members of staff, with other professionals and agencies
- To establish, maintain and end purposeful therapeutic relationships with patients
- To adhere to all practice standards implemented by the Trust
- Maintain a friendly, positive and caring attitude with all patients, physicians and staff.
- To work with the MDT in planning and delivering care
- Identify actual and potential risks to patients and others. Take action to minimise or eliminate risk and maximise safety in the facility
- Remain prepared for emergency situations by knowing correct emergency procedures, locations of emergency call system, emergency supplies and equipment.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- oRelevant diploma/degree or equivalent qualification oRegistered Mental Health Nurse oAppropriately registered with the NMC as per post requirements
- oTeaching/Assessor qualification
- oRequired to develop knowledge base in line with the KSF requirements for the post
- oEvidence of continuing professional development and to have undertaken post registration training
- oExperience of working in multi-agency services
Skills and Abilities Essential
- oProfessional and patient focussed approach with inspirational skills, acting as a role model to colleagues and junior staff members oAbility to recognise and manage challenging situations in a calm and professional manner. oAble to take instruction and direction and work effectively as part of a team oAbility to record and retrieve information on charts/paper and electronic patient records oHigh standards of written communication skills with the ability to use email and internet oAbility to undertake PMVA training to required level for role
Communication Skills Essential
- oEvidence of a good standard of Literacy / English language skills oCompassionate - Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively with patients, carers and relative remaining sensitive and empathetic oListens to others' views respecting and valuing individual patient needs
Planning & Organisation Skills Essential
- oExcellent organisational skills, ability to manage own time and plan times activities for staff and patients
Personal Qualities Essential
- oCompassionate - Open minded, treats colleagues, patients, carers and relatives with dignity and respect oIntuitive and caring nature oTo be able to demonstrate an awareness and responsibility whilst recognising the impact frequent exposure to distressing circumstances has on care and compassion oFlexible and adaptable to meet the needs of the patients oSympathetic and considerate towards patients, carers and relatives oAbility to inspire hope, support recovery and make a difference oAct in a way that supports equality and diversity.
- oWillingness to use technology to improve standards of care and support to our patients
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.