An exciting opportunity has arisen for an 8 PA Consultant (Medical) Psychotherapist substantive post following retirement. Please note that the JD is currently with Royal College for approval.
Main duties of the job
The post-holder will be expected to provide specialised psychological therapies assessments and treatments in secondary care services, provide medical leadership in developing and managing the psychotherapy service, specialist supervision of psychotherapy treatments and fulfil the training responsibilities of the Trust for psychiatric trainees, medical students and other mental health professionals. This involves clinical, management and teaching commitments.
Applicants must be on the Specialist Register or within 6 months of obtaining the CCT and Approved Clinician Status.
Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust (CNWL) specialises in caring for people with a wide range of physical and mental health needs.
Over recent years our catchment area has grown significantly, making the Trust's population more diverse than ever. The area spans the communities of London, Milton Keynes and wider geographical areas of Buckinghamshire, Surrey, Kent and Hampshire. There are areas of great affluence as well as deprivation, and there are over 100 first-languages spoken in these communities.
K&C adult mental health service provides a range of mental health services for adults across the age range within the community and in hospital settings. Our community services have recently transformed to improve the quality of care received by people with mental health needs in their local community in line with the NHS Long Term Plan, towards the provision of more integrated, personalised and place-based care.
Kensington and Chelsea adult mental health service provides a range of mental health services for adults across the age range within the community and in hospital settings.
Job description Job responsibilities
CORE CLINICAL AND LEADERSHIP RESPONSIBILITIESManaging psychotherapy referrals, as well as psychotherapy waiting lists in the Psychotherapy Providing specialist psychological therapy assessments and extended consultations. The post-holder will provide on a weekly basis two new psychotherapy assessments directly or by supervising a junior member of staff, one follow-up assessment consultation and one consultation for ongoing complex psychotherapy Holding a clinical caseload including patients undergoing psychotherapy assessment (on average four patients); complex psychotherapy patients (on average four patients); patients in ongoing psychotherapy treatments as provided by medical and non-medical psychotherapists under the supervision of the post-holder (on average twenty five patients). Patients on the caseload suffer primarily from severe or treatment resistance mood disorders, co-morbid personality disorders and severe relational difficulties. Providing clinical and psychotherapy supervision for 2.5 WTE Psychotherapy junior doctors posts (six-months psychotherapy placements usually at CT3 level) allocated to this Consultant post. The post holder will also be providing regular supervision of psychotherapy cases of junior doctors during their rotation placement in the Kensington and Chelsea services. Psychotherapy cases are allocated to junior doctors following assessment by the consultant psychotherapist in the service. The post-holder will maintain consultant responsibility for psychotherapy cases throughout the psychotherapy treatments. Junior doctors are supervised in supervision groups typically made up of five supervisees for one hour a week. Psychotherapy supervision consists in the discussion and the review of the clinical management of individual psychotherapy cases. The duration of individual psychotherapy treatments is up to 12 months. Occasionally it can be extended depending upon patients clinical Attending weekly and fully participating in the K&C North and South Hub team meetings Direct involvement in the community teams clinical Providing clinical leadership to allow for the provision of a full range of psychological treatments across Kensington and Chelsea. Please note that the JD is currently with Royal College for approval.
Person Specification Education and Qualifications Essential
- Primary Medical Degree
- Full GMC Registration
- Inclusion in the GMC Specialist Register for Psychotherapy (or CCT expected within 6 months of interview date)
- Section 12 MHA Approved/AC
- Additional GMC Specialist Registration
- MRCPsych (or equivalent)
- Higher Degree (MSc, LLM, MD or PhD
- Additional UKCP/BPC accredited post-graduate qualification in specialist psychotherapy or in advanced stage of training towards this
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrable leadership skills, maturity and the ability to contain and support a team
- Sound organisational skills
- Demonstration of ability to innovative practice and service improvement
- Relevant publications in the field of psychotherapy
General knowledge/ experience & core skills Essential
- Experience of providing psychotherapy supervision to medical and non-medical staff, as well as of offering consultations to senior colleagues across disciplines
- Experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams
- Proficient in risk assessment and management
- Evidence of completed clinical audit/quality improvement projects
- Evidence of undergraduate and postgraduate trainee teaching
- Experience of service development/business planning/service evaluations
- Research experience relevant to psychotherapy
- High level knowledge of planned developments at a national level to improve efficiency and deliver quality services
- Experience of teaching non-medical staff/carers
- Experience of working with ethnic and multi-lingual minorities, refugees and other minority groups
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.