Willow ward has an exciting opportunity for a Band 5 RMN or RGN who is passionate about providing specialist dementia and nursing care to the elderly. At present; 1 in every 14 people over the age of 65 are living with dementia in the UK.
Willow Ward is a specialist 16 bedded ward for people with organic illnesses such as Dementia and Alzheimer's, some of which pose with challenging behaviours.
Although Willow is predominantly a Dementia Ward, we accommodate a variety of other mental health illnesses. Alongside a diagnosis of Dementia, some of our patients may present with depression or have a long-standing disorder such as bipolar or schizophrenia. There is also a degree of physical health care due to the age and nature of the clients.
There are 2 other wards within Charlton Lane Hospital called Chestnut and Mulberry Ward.
Main duties of the job
Upon commencing your post, you will participate in a comprehensive trust and unit induction, for newly qualified staff a preceptorship program which ensures that you feel skilled and supported to undertake this challenging job. Applicants will participate in a variety of practice development initiatives such as 'Safe Wards', 'Triangle of care' and 'CCQI', Johns Campaign etc. You will have access to a range of training which help staff meet the developing needs of the service.
The culture of the hospital focuses on providing excellent clinical care, valuing relationships whilst promoting the development of leaders of the future.
We offer a bespoke training development package which has been designed to reflect the future of nursing, which includes both mental and physical care along with leadership development. As a band 5 working in our team you will be given the opportunity to work alongside a wide Multi-Disciplinary Team to ensure the efficient running of the ward for our service users and their carers.
If you hold a passion for older persons care we would welcome you to become part of our family value-based team.
The posts are funded at 37.5 hours per week (full time) and could involve rotational shift system. 'Flexible' working arrangements will be considered. Any request will be set against genuine operational requirements and limitations and it is not obligatory for a manager to accede to the request.
The Trust aims to recruit and retain the best possible staff who, through the application of their skills, qualification and experience, will make a positive contribution to our business of providing quality health care services. It is the Trust's view that the costs associated with moving house in order to take up a post with us should not restrict our ability to recruit the excellent people we need, therefore we support staff to relocate with our relocation policy.
This post is eligible for the Trust's Recommend a Friend scheme. If you have been recommended to apply for this role by an employee of the Trust you should include a short statement to this effect in your supporting information, including the name of the person who recommended you. If you are successful with your application the employee who recommended you needs to access the relevant forms to process this from the Trust's intranet or the HR Recruitment Team.
This post requires the post holder to be able to undertake all statutory and mandatory training and post holders must be able to undertake physical interventions. Fitness for physical intervention will be assessed by Occupational Health.
A valid UK driving licence plus the use of own transport for business purposes is essential. For qualifying staff the Trust has a Lease Car Scheme in place and also offers a popular Salary Sacrifice Car Scheme with our partner Tusker.
Job description Job responsibilities The qualification, training & experience requirements for the role are underlined in the Job Description/Person Specification.
To ensure you fully understand how the Trust, as a Data Controller, will process and store your data please read the attached document Applicant and Staff Privacy Notice prior to applying for the role.
Candidates for any staff appointment shall, when making application, disclose in writing to the Trust whether they are related to any governor. Failure to disclose such a relationship may disqualify a candidate and, if appointed, may render them liable to dismissal.
Gloucestershire Health and Care NHS Foundation Trust are proud to have been recognised as a Veteran Aware Trust, evidencing the provision of the best care for Veterans and driving to improve the care for veterans and their families. Find out more about this by clicking on the link at the right hand side, titled Veterans Covenant Healthcare Alliance.
Person Specification QUALIFICATIONS Essential
- Registered Nurse (RMN,RGN)
- Evidence of continued professional development
- Evidence of formal post registration learning
- European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL)
LENGTH AND / OR NATURE OF EXPERIENCE Essential
- Experience of working within an In-Patient or residential setting
- Working knowledge of Early Intervention, Primary Care, Recovery, Crisis Resolution & Home Treatment (CRHT) approach and social inclusion
- Experience in the provision of Crisis Resolution Home Treatment
- European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office packages, e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher and Outlook
- Experience of collaboration working with other agencies including the voluntary sector
- Completion of preceptorship programme
PROFESSIONAL / MANAGERIAL / SPECIALIST KNOWLEDGE Essential
- Demonstrable skills in risk assessment and management
- An understanding of national policy in relation to mental health
- Knowledge and understanding of the Mental Health Act & legal aspects of Mental Health care
- Knowledge of the different approaches to mental health assessment
- Knowledge of evidence-based intervention with service users in an all phases of mental illness
- Up to date clinical knowledge including risk assessment, dual diagnosis and health and social care needs
- Knowledge of child care / protection issues
- Ability to work on social factors affecting mental distress e.g. accommodation, substance misuse, domestic violence, welfare rights
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.