This is an exciting opportunity for a qualified and HCPC registered Clinical/Counselling Psychologist or Other professional with training in MBT to join the Newham Mentalisation Based Therapy Service.
The Newham Mentalisation Based Therapy Service is a small and friendly service that offers MBT interventions to people with a diagnosis of Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder (EUPD). This would be an exciting opportunity for a qualified professional with experience in secondary care settings and personality work. The successful candidate will have skills and experience in facilitating groups and carrying out individual therapy with people with complex mental health needs. We welcome applications from people who have an interest in furthering their clinical skills using MBT or those with existing training in MBT. We would welcome applications from people who are reflective and can consider the therapeutic relationship and the impact the work has on them.
The Newham MBT Service forms part of the Newham Specialist Psychotherapy Service and is part of a wider Community Transformation of services which is ensuring that Service Users are supported in a timely manner within Primary Care. Alongside MBT, the post holder will therefore have additional roles within the borough supporting Service Users presenting across the spectrum of Complex Emotional Needs to specific Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorders.
Main duties of the job
The role will require the post holder to:
- Undertake specialist assessment of patients referred to the service with complex personality presentations. This will include assessing for Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder and other personality presentations, conducting thorough risk assessments and determining suitability for an MBT treatment approach.
- Formulate complex personality presentations, particularly in the framework of Mentalisatiion.
- Provide group and individual therapy using the MBT model. This may include providing MBT Psychoeducational groups and individual MBT treatment.
- Liaising with the Consultant Psychiatrist to ensure patients receive regular psychiatric reviews as needed.
- Work in a transparent way, ensuring that any risk issues are appropriately reported to the Operational Lead. The post holder must also take responsibility for following up on risk concerns by liaising with the Trust Safeguarding Leads, making referrals to appropriate agencies, completing incident reports, attending safeguarding meetings (where appropriate) and documenting on the patient records system.
- Offer support to patients in a crisis from Monday to Friday (9am to 5pm) when needed.
Our mission is to make a positive difference to people's lives by improving the quality of life for all we serve. Our values are: We Care, We Respect, We are Inclusive - so we are looking for people who live and breathe these qualities when supporting service users and carers, and in their relationships with colleagues in the Trust and our partner organisations.
Job description Job responsibilities
Please kindly refer to the job description and person specification attached to this vacancy for further details.
Person Specification Education/ Qualification/ Training Essential
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology or equivalence (statement of equivalence (or its equivalent for those trained prior to 1996) and able to demonstrate eligibility for BPS CPsychol (Chartered Psychologist) Or Doctorate in Counselling Psychology and able to demonstrate eligibility for BPS CPsychol (Chartered Psychologist)
- Doctorate in Counselling Psychology and able to demonstrate eligibility for BPS CPsychol (Chartered Psychologist)
- HCPC registration
- BPS accredited degree in psychology or equivalent
- Further training in a therapeutic modality relevant to personality disorder
- Experience in working with patients presenting with complex personality presentation and/or risk of self-harm.
- Experience of working as a specialist clinical/counselling psychologist involving experience working in a multi-disciplinary team for adults with severe and enduring mental health problems.
- Experience of group work.
- Work within at least two therapeutic modalities.
- Experience of working in a multidisciplinary mental health setting.
- Work in a multi-cultural setting, including working with interpreters.
- Experience of working within a specialist personality disorder setting
- Experience of the application of psychology in different cultural contexts
Knowledge and Skills Essential
- Skills in the use of complex methods of psychological assessment, intervention and management, including the use of theoretical models to analyse information and to develop formulations upon which to base choice of treatment.
- Skills in the effective communication of highly technical and/or clinically sensitive information to a wide variety of recipients in a range of settings within and outside the NHS, including the ability to produce comprehensive and coherent letters, reports and associated documentation
- Capacity to work calmly and thoughtfully when addressing traumatic psychological issues, demonstrating an awareness of the sensitivity and unpredictability of Personality Disorder patients, and a capacity to tolerate the strong emotions evoked by such work
- Skills in providing consultation to other professional and non-professional groups.
- Knowledge and understanding of diagnosis of Personality Disorder.
- Skills in providing advice and consultation to other professional and non-professional groups.
- Working knowledge of the practices and approaches of other key disciplines, professions and agencies involved in the care and management network, including medical, employment, social, educational and criminal justice systems.
- Knowledge of legislation in relation mental health.
- Ability to provide a culturally-competent and non-stigmatising service including an awareness of the potential impact of discrimination and disadvantage on mental health.
- Evidence of CPD as recommended by BPS.
- Competence in advanced IT packages including keyboard skills.
- Knowledge of the theory and practice of at least two specialised psychological therapies.
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.