The Vale Community Resource Service and the Cardiff Community Resource Team are a large, supportive and friendly multi disciplinary health and social care team.
You would be part of this wider team but more specifically the Team Around the Individual Team (Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist, Dietician and Speech and Language Therapist) while working closely with the Specialist Memory Team (Consultants, Specialist Nurses, Specialist Memory Team SLT and Memory Link Workers).
You will support people with dementia and their carers in their home whether that be their own home or care home.
Full and part time hours available
Main duties of the job
Are you an Speech and Language Therapist, working with older people who have dementia? Do you have a Specialist interest in Dementia? If so, take a look at this permanent post working in a team attached to the highly regarded Cardiff and Vale Specialist Memory Team:
Cardiff & Vale dementia services have expanded to provide increased support at home to people newly diagnosed with dementia and their carers. This expansion includes the development of multi-disciplinary Locality Memory Teams which will work closely with the current hospital based Specialist Memory Team and operate from within the Vale Community Resource Service and the Cardiff Community Resource Team.
You will work as part of a friendly and supportive team to provide a specialist Speech & Language Therapy service, support and advice to people with a diagnosis of dementia and their carers.
The post will be split equally across the Vale and Cardiff Locality Memory Team.
Thepostholderwill have experience of working with people with dementia and their carersandwill be provided with regular supervision and continuing professional development opportunities to further develop their skills and knowledge around this specialist area. They willbe a source of information forhealth professionals and others,providing teaching and training when required.
The ability to speak Welsh is desirable for this post; Welsh and/or English speakers are equally welcome to apply.
About us Cardiff and Vale University Health Board
is one of the largest Integrated Health Boards in the UK, employing over 15,000 staff, providing over 100 specialist services. Working across 6 hospital sites, we have a diverse range of career opportunities to offer. Serving around 500,000 people living in Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan, we are focussed on the health and care needs of our local population whilst working with our partners to develop regional services.
Our mission isCaring for People, Keeping People Well,
and our vision is that every person's chance of leading a healthy life should be equal. As an organisation we are unashamedly ambitious for our population's health, rising to the challenges of today and tomorrow through our 10-year strategy, Shaping our Future Wellbeing. We are contributing to a healthier Wales with great emphasis placed on innovation and improvement, learning from around the world and leading the way in clinical research. Partnership working is strong at Cardiff and Vale, and we work closely with our staff and our community.
Cardiff, the thriving Welsh capital, is a fantastic city to live and work in with an abundance of sports, arts and cultural attractions. Situated to the west of Cardiff, the Vale of Glamorgan offers a combination of beautiful Welsh countryside and a dramatic natural coastline. Whether city life or rural living, Cardiff and the Vale offers the best of both worlds.
Job description Job responsibilities
You will be able to find a full Job description and Person Specification attached within the supporting documents
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- SLT Degree
- HCPC Registration
- RCSLT Membership
- Evidence of short coruses/CPD in specialist area (out of 5)
- Membership of clinical excellence network in specialist area
Experience/Specialist Knowledg Essential
- Clinical experience of working with a range of communication/swallowing problems.
- Previous posts have involved working with people with dementia
- Previous roles have included MDT working.
- Previous expereince of teaching/training others.
- Previous experience of providing clinical support to others.
- Experience of working in a community setting
- Application is conscise and well written, demonstrating excellent written communicatin skils
- Previous posts or personal statement show evidence of management of complex cases requring highly developed organisational, time management and problem solving skills
- Sharing knowledge/skills with others
- Good presentation skills
- IT skills - working knowledge of Outlook, Word, PowerPoint & Excel
Specialist Knowledge Essential
- Application demostrates additional specialist knowledge in dementia
- Application demostrates knowledge of inititatives/trends in specialist are
- Clinical governance issues
- Prudent Healthcare
- Therapy Outcome Measures
- Care Aims approach
Personal qualities Essential
- Team player
- Motivated & enthusiastic
- Demonstrates empathy and compassion for others
- Able to deal with distressed clients /families
- Resilient and able to manage distressing circumstances
- Able to take own initiative
- Able to meet the audiological requirements of the post
- Ability to drive and access to a car for work purposes
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.