The Community Eating Disorders Service Intensive Pathway for Children and Young People is expanding to increase access to community-based treatments for families across Newham, Tower Hamlets and City & Hackney. The aim of this service is to support young people close to home to improve their quality of life, feel empowered to manage their illness, resume control overeating and be provided with an alternative to admission.
Main duties of the job
We are looking for three enthusiastic Paediatric Nurses to join as part of the expansion of our Intensive Pathway, these are new posts that will work to:
Provide interventions in the community near where CYP live
Provide interventions that help CYP to achieve safe nutritional and hydration intake, if necessary, with nasogastric (NG) feeding support
Provide intensive family support (including best practice interventions such as the Maudsley Family Intensive Group Model)
Empower families and parents to play an active role in CYPs journeys of recovery
Support CYPs weight restoration and resuming control overeating
Increase the autonomy of CYP to maintain a healthy weight and body image
Identify eating disorder emotional triggers and providing appropriate psychosocial interventions
Work collaboratively with community hospital at home paediatric, acute paediatric services and supporting feeding when needed
Establish pathway interfaces with community services, inpatient services and social services
Transition planning into adult services when required
Our mission is to make a positive difference to people's lives by improving the quality of life for all we serve. Our values are: We Care, We Respect, We are Inclusive - so we are looking for people who live and breathe these qualities when supporting service users and carers, and in their relationships with colleagues in the Trust and our partner organisations.
Job description Job responsibilities
The post holder will work across the Intensive Pathway and Core CEDS team, benefiting from the support of multi-disciplinary team, including Therapies (family therapy, clinical/ counselling psychology, assistant psychology), Medical (psychiatry and paediatrics), Nursing (mental health and paediatric nursing), Dietetics, Support Workers & Administrative and Operational staff.
In future, these posts may involve shift work across operating hours of Monday-Sunday, 08:00-20:00 on an early and late shift pattern.
For any more information about this role, please contact: Jade Ogbondah firstname.lastname@example.org
Person Specification Education/ Qualification/ Training Essential
- RSCN / RN Child with current registration Interest and enthusiasm for nursing young people with eating disorders
- Preparation for mentorship course or equivalent
- Evidence of continued professional development
- IT skills
- Understanding of the impact of mental health difficulties on the young person and their family
- Specialist knowledge across a range of paediatric procedures, underpinned by relevant theory
- Leadership course / development programme or equivalent line management experience
- Psychosocial interventions
- Minimum of 2-years' experience at band 5 within a paediatric setting
- Experience of nursing young people who are suffering from mental health difficulties
- Experience of developing care plans/packages for young people, and giving specialist advice to young people dependent on their need
- Experiencing support with NG feeding
- Experience of maintaining team medical/nursing equipment, stock levels, ordering stock supplies
Knowledge and Skills Essential
- Excellent skills in engaging with hard-to-reach young people and families
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to relate sensitively to young people with mental health difficulties and their carers.
- Shows a creative and calm approach to supporting young people through potentially stressful medical procedures
- Excellent skills in paediatric nursing assessment, and in assessing and interpreting complex needs of patients
- A positive attitude towards mental health, and supporting young people towards recovery
- Excellent skills in providing a psycho-educative approach to work with young people who have eating disorders
- Excellent organizational skills
- Displays professional integrity and credibility
- Competency in phlebotomy and undertaking ECGs
Personal and people development Essential
- Able to work independently and seek support where appropriate
- Able to use supervision well to improve output
- Able to contain and work with organisational stress, and able to hold the stress of others.
- High motivation to working as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Positive attitude and ability to work under pressure, be adaptable and able to working in unpredictable situations
- Takes responsibility for own learning
- Responsible for own Individual Performance Review
- Follows policies and practice protocols, and is able to comment and propose changes to these
- Respectful approach to service users, families, carers, colleagues and other professionals. Willing to negotiate and can handle confrontation effectively and professionally.
- Can supervise the work of more junior staff and students, and provides training to others
- Must be able to exert light physical effort, moving between rooms, carrying out physical nursing assessments, and travelling between spoke areas independently, to sit in constrained positions for a substantial proportion of working time.
- Able to concentrate intensely for a substantial proportion of working time, during client contact, teaching sessions, team meetings, preparing written work etc
- Communicates in a manner that is consistent with relevant legislation, policies and procedures
- Is consistent with their level of understanding, culture, background and preferred ways of communicating.
- Recognises and reflects on barriers to effective communication and actively modifies communication in response to these.
- Aware of the potential impact of discrimination and disadvantage on mental health
- Provides feedback to other workers on their communication at appropriate times
- Takes a proactive role in producing accurate and complete documentation
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.