George Mackenzie House is a low secure unitprovidingdevelopment opportunity in the Recovery focused care of male and female adults experiencing difficulties associated with a range of acute often long-standing mental health illness's.
The MDT assess and review all aspects of patient care seeking to use a holistic, collaborative approach inthe preparation of individual care-plans where each patient is central to this process. We believe in truly collaborative care, support and positive risk taking. Working on GMH will give the post holder the opportunity to practice a full range of core mental health nursing skills, physical nursing skills and also to gain experience in risk assessment, management and recovery focused interventions.
Main duties of the job
The post holder will provide quality evidence based nursing advice, support and care for service users with mental and physical health needs and to their carers within a multidisciplinary setting. They will be responsible for the assessment, planning implementation and evaluation of nursing care, and will have a working knowledge of local, national policies and legislation which govern current service provision.
The post holder will be responsible for identifying and contributing to the training needs of junior registered and unregistered staff and ensure that issues of equality, diversity and rights are dealt with in accordance with good practice and legislation. They will ensure that effective communication pathways exist, and that they act within their sphere of responsibility, managing the shift in the absence of the Ward Manager or the designated deputy.
Cambridgeshire & Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust is a health & social care organisation dedicated to providing high quality care with compassion to improve the health & wellbeing of the people we care for, as well as supporting & empowering them to lead a fulfilling life.
Our clinical teams deliver many NHS services not only via inpatient and primary care setting but also with the community. These services include Children, Adult & Older Peoples mental & physical health, Forensic & Specialist mental health, Learning Disabilities, Primary Care & Liaison psychiatry, Substance misuse, Social care, Research & Development.
To achieve our goal, we look to recruit high calibre candidates that share our vision & values. As an equal opportunities employer, we encourage applications from all sectors of the community, particularly from under-represented groups including disabled people & members of our ethnic minorities & LGBTQ+ communities.
Job description Job responsibilities Please refer to the attached job description and person specification for full details of responsibilities To be responsible for the assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of the evidence-based care required, including health promotion for a named service users ensuring it meets Trust timescales. To participate in the setting of quality standards, including the monitoring and reviewing in line with current clinical guidance practice and policy. To ensure the post holder understands and meets their professional role and responsibilities under the Care Programme Approach. To ensure that the requirements of the Mental Health Act 2007 are observed, adhered to and implemented. To promote carer and service user involvement within the service and for its provision. To encourage recovery, discovery and independence, taking into account risk assessment and management. To establish therapeutic relationships with service users and the implementation of evidence based therapeutic interventions with appropriate boundaries in accordance with Nursing and Midwifery Councils professional code of conduct. To demonstrate care and compassion in you work. To respect and value the different therapeutic approaches within the multi disciplinary team but ensure that the agreed philosophy approach is adopted and followed. To be responsible for maintaining and conducting oneself in a professional manner towards service users, carers, colleagues and other agencies at all times. To participate in working collaboratively with other Trust services and external agencies to provide seamless care for service users. To ensure that they contribute and work towards the service/organizational aims and objectives. To manage, coordinate shifts, ensuring tasks are completed either directly or through effective delegation, records are kept, information is communicated effectively
Person Specification Education/Qualifications Essential
- Registered Nurse Mental Health (RNMH) or other specialism relating to post such as Registered Nurse Learning Disability (RNLD)
- NMC registration
- Post Graduate Qualifications related to specialism
- Additional qualifications relating to specialism
- Inpatient & MDT
- Basic experience of dealing with service users with complex mental health needs.
- Basic knowledge of Care Act, Capacity Act & MHS
- Experience of developing service users and carer involvement
- Secure Environment experience
- Lived Experience of Mental Health
- Experience of providing mentorship
Skills & Abilities Essential
- Effective communication skills verbally & written
- Ability to work as part of a team, role model, empowering and motivation others
- Ability to build effective working relationships with staff across wide range of professional and managerial groups
- Shows appropriate professional and personal boundaries
- Enthusiastic and has the ability to participate in full rotational shifts
- Ability to carry out physical interventions
- Ability to use own initiative & contribute to MDT approach
- Ability to advocate for patients and colleagues
- Ability to keep calm and respond appropriately under pressure
- Able to demonstrate commitment to high quality care and service provision
- Effective time management and organizational skills
- Good assertiveness skills
- Decision making, delegation and problem solving
Knowledge & Understanding. Essential
- Thorough understanding of care planning
- Knowledge of Physical health needs
- Commitment to and understanding of evidence based practice
- Awareness of safeguarding
- Basic understanding of MHA, CA & MCA
- Knowledge of NICE guidance
- Basic understanding of needs of patients
- Understanding of Relational Security
- Understanding of Prevent
- Understanding of Trust principles and values
- Understanding of CPA
- Physically able to undertake a demanding role safely and associated mandatory training
- Willingness to follow instruction but also able to question and challenge
- Willingness to be flexible in approach and attitude
- Interest in enhancing service user engagement
- Interest in working with this client group
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.