We are seeking to appoint a General Adult Consultant Psychiatrist on Applewood ward, Sandal wood court, Swindon The post has been created by the retirement of a consultant colleague.
Applewood ward is a mixed gender acute psychiatric ward with eighteen beds. The ward provides assessment and treatment for patients who cannot be safely managed in the community by our Crisis Resolution & Home Treatment Teams. This includes a significant number of patients detained on Sections 2 and 3 of the Mental Health Act. The ward is one of four in-patient units in the eastern part of the trust. The post is supported by a full time staff grade, and a trainee psychiatrist
Main duties of the job
To provide psychiatrist assessment and treatment of acute psychiatrist inpatients.
- To take on the role of Responsible Clinician for detained patients.
- To produce reports for CQC Tribunals and Hospital Managers hearings.
- To take the lead on prescribing and risk assessments.
- To participate and lead daily patient management meetings.
- To provide clinical and professional leadership, and take part in management activities and governance processes related to the post or the wider service
- To have an integral role in the performance of the ward team, further development of the service, and the development of the clinical pathways and priorities of the service line.
o To teach and supervise medical staff and other professionals in all aspects of psychiatric care. For full details of the role please refer to the job description.
We are AWP (Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust) a diverse organisation with over 5,000 dedicated staff providing inpatient and community-based mental health care. We provide services from a range of locations to approximately 1.8 million people living in Bath and North East Somerset (B&NES), Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, across the county of Wiltshire and in parts of Dorset. Our outstanding people promote mental health and wellbeing. The expertise and resources within AWP are dedicated to a person-centred approach for those who use our services and for all employees. We recognise that happy and fulfilled employees give better care
Job description Job responsibilities
Please refer to the accompanying job description for full details on the roles and responsibilities of this post.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification
- Relevant Higher Degree e.g MD,PHD,Msc or other additional clinical qualifications
- MRCPsych OR MRCPsych equivalent approved by the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register OR within six months of gaining CCT
- Approved clinician status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- Approved under S12 OR able to achieve with 3 months of appointment
- CCT in General Adult Psychiatry
- Experience of assessing and treating patients in an inpatient/community setting.
Personal Skills Essential
- To possess leadership skills and be able to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to manage own time, workload and prioritise clinical work
- Able to demonstrate excellent communication skills, in order to effectively work with patients, carers and staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Clinical Skills Essential
- Ability to assess and treat psychiatric problems in Adults of working age and to deal with crisis situations.
- Understanding of the management skills required to function successfully as a Consultant.
- Commitment to and experience of undergraduate and postgraduate learning and teaching.
- Understand principles of teaching.
Research and Audit Essential
- Experience or involvement in a research project and publication.
- Experience of carrying out an audit project.
- Evidence of management/leadership skills training.
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.