The NW London integrated care system has developed a comprehensive and confidential staff wellbeing and psychological support service known as Keeping Well NWL (https://www.keepingwellnwl.nhs.uk). The program is run as a partnership between CNWL and West London NHS Trust.
The aims of the Keeping Well service are as follows: To deliver proactive outreach and engagement across employers and organisations across NWL To build capacity in local employer organisations or teams via training Provide rapid clinical assessment Provide onwards referral and care co-ordination to deliver rapid access to mental health services and support
We are seeking an enthusiastic and motivated senior psychological therapist with an interest in developing their skills and experience supporting staff across the health and social care sector.
Alongside some direct clinical work to assess individuals referred to the Keeping Well service the postholder will be responsible for the clinical supervision and line management of Assistant Psychologists and qualified Psychologists within the team. They will also contribute to the development of the educational and training offer for the Keeping Well service.
As this is a new and developing service we particularly encourage applications from candidates with an interest in service development and innovative practice.
Please contact Chloe Schneider, Clinical Lead on Chloe.Schneider@nhs.net if you have any questions about the role.
Main duties of the job
- To provide a therapeutic service to clients of the Keeping Well NWL service, across all sectors of care; providing highly specialist psychological assessment and therapy at the same time as offering advice and consultation on clients' psychological care to non-psychologist colleagues and to other, non-professional carers, working autonomously within professional guidelines and the overall framework of the team's policies and procedures.
- To provide a therapeutic service to Teams in the form of psychoeducation workshops and reflective practice.
- To provide clinical supervision to psychological therapists in the team.
- To provide operational and line management across the Keeping Well NWL team, as delegated by the Clinical Lead.
- To utilise research skills for audit, policy and service development and research within the area served by the service.
- The post holder works autonomously within professional guidelines and within the overall framework of the team's policies and procedures.
- To utilise research skills for audit, policy and service development and research within the area served by the team/service.
- To develop and deliver a proactive programme of outreach and engagement with providers of health and care services within the NWL area.
- To develop and deliver, in partnership with local employer organisations and teams, training programmes to maintain and support staff wellbeing.
West London NHS Trust is one of the most diverse providers of mental health, community and social care in the UK.
Our 3,982 staff care for people in hospital and in the community, helping them to recover and go on to lead full and productive lives. We aim to be the best organisation of our kind in the country.
We provide care and treatment for more than 800,000 people living in the London boroughs of Ealing, Hammersmith & Fulham and Hounslow, delivering services in the community (at home, in GP surgeries and care homes), hospital, specialist clinics and forensic (secure) units.
We'rerated good overall by the Care Quality Commission (CQC).
Together, we're committed to promoting hope and wellbeing, working with patients, service users, carers, families and partners across the communities we serve.
We are keen to ensure that our workforce reflects the community it serves, particularly in terms of ethnicity, gender, disability, LGBTQ+ and experience of mental illness.
Job description Job responsibilities Clinical
- To undertake, under the supervision of a qualified psychologist / psychological therapist, structured psychological assessments of service users including administering self-report questionnaires and semi-structured interviews.
- To support the formulation and delivery of care plans involving the psychological treatment and/or management of a service users difficulties, under the clinical supervision of a qualified psychologist / psychological therapist.
- To assist in the coordination and running of therapeutic groups.
- To assist in the compilation of materials and resources for the Keeping Well Academy and to co-ordinate training for staff teams and organisations across NWL.
- To assist patients in the use of computer based therapy programmes as part of their clinical care, and evaluating their use.
- To attend and contribute to appropriate multi-disciplinary meetings.
Service research / evaluation and audit
- To receive regular clinical and management supervision in accordance with professional practice guidelines.
- To gain awareness of professional psychology within the NHS within the principal service area where the post holder is employed.
- To assist in the design and implementation of service monitoring, audit, quality improvement, research and development projects within the service, as required.
- To contribute to departmental/team audits carried as part of routine service review and evaluation, and specific audits as required, under supervision.
- To participate in carrying out service orientated and clinically relevant research (as agreed by the Trust and Professional Psychology Lead).
- To utilize theory, evidence-based literature and research to support evidence based practice in individual work and work with other team members.
- To design databases, undertake data collection, analysis, the production of reports and summaries, using IT and statistical programmes as required.
- To attend meetings in which service developments are planned and discussed, as required.
- To communicate the results of psychological assessments and implemented treatment plans in a skilled and sensitive manner to the multi-disciplinary team and to the service user through clinical meetings and in written reports (countersigned by a qualified psychologist).
- To attend and contribute to appropriate multi-disciplinary meetings.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- Either of the following qualifications: Post-graduate doctoral level training in clinical or counselling psychology (or its equivalent for those trained prior to 1996) as accredited by the BPS, or post graduate training in another core mental health profession (nursing, Occupational therapy) plus 1 post graduate diploma or higher degree in CBT. OR Accredited as a cognitive behavioural psychotherapist by the British Association of Cognitive & Behavioural Psychotherapies (BABCP) or nearing completion of accreditation process. OR Systemic therapist Professional registration with the appropriate Health Professions Council (HPC), if applicable to core professional training.
- Pre-qualification training and qualifications in research methodology, staff training and/or other fields of applied psychology.
- Postgraduate CBT Diploma.
- Experience of specialist psychological assessment and treatment of clients across the full range of care settings, including outpatient, community, primary care and in patient settings.
- Experience of working with a wide variety of client groups, across the whole life course presenting problems that reflect the full range of clinical severity including maintaining a high degree of professionalism in the face of highly emotive and distressing problems, verbal abuse and the threat of physical abuse
- Experience of supervising cognitive-behavioural therapy interventions.
- Experience of the application of CBT in different cultural contexts.
- Experience of working with two distinct psychological therapies including Cognitive Behaviour Therapy.
- Experience of working within an IAPT service and delivering to agreed service targets (e.g. clinical contact hours, percentage recovery)
- Experience of supervising both low intensity and high intensity workers within an IAPT service.
- Specialist training/experience of CBT demonstrated through having received a minimum of 50 hours clinical supervision of working as a specialist psychological therapist or practitioner psychologist, or an alternative agreed by the Head of Psychology and psychological therapies.
- Experience of delivering reflective practice.
- Skills in the use of complex methods of cognitive-behavioural assessment, intervention and management frequently requiring sustained and intense concentration.
- Well developed skills in the ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, complex, highly technical and/or clinically sensitive information to clients, their families, carers and other professional colleagues both within and outside the NHS.
- Skills in providing consultation to other professional and non-professional groups.
- Evidence of continuing professional development as recommended by the BPS or relevant professional body.
- Knowledge of the theory and practice of specialised psychological therapies in specific difficult to treat groups (e.g. personality disorder, dual diagnoses, people with additional disabilities or long-term physical health conditions etc).
- High-level knowledge of the theory and practice of at least two specialised psychological therapies.
- Knowledge of legislation in relation to the client group and mental health.
- Doctoral level knowledge of research methodology, research design and complex, multivariate data analysis as practiced within the clinical fields of psychology.
Other Requirements Essential
- Ability to teach and train others, using a variety of complex multi-media materials suitable for presentations within public, professional and academic settings.
- Ability to identify and employ mechanisms of clinical governance as appropriate, to support and maintain clinical practice in the face of regular exposure to highly emotive material and challenging behaviour.
- Personal experience of mental health problems.
- Experience of working within a multicultural framework.
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.