INTERNAL ONLY TO NORTH CUMBRIA INTEGRATED CARE NHS FOUNDATION TRUST (NCIC) TRUST EMPLOYEES ONLY Band 6 staff nurse , ICU West Cumberland Hospital
The post holder will work as part of a team to provide a safe, effective environment for patients, relatives and carers.
Assess, plan, deliver and evaluate nursing care to critically ill patients, without direct supervision.
Take regular charge of the ward / unit as required. Contribute as requested by the ward sister / charge nurse to the smooth running of the unit through the acceptance of agreed additional responsibilities.
Employees should honour the trusts core values by demonstrating appropriate behaviours and encouraging this in others. Demonstrate commitment to quality patient care through effective leadership and team working. Combined Intensive Care and High Dependency Unit
Provision of adult intensive care, high dependency care and post-anaesthetic care for patients across a range of medical and surgical specialities including but not limited to Respiratory, Cardiac, Renal, Orthopaedic, Gastroenterology, Neurological and Obstetric patients. Organ donation & retrieval service.
Stabilisation & transfer of adult patients requiring more specialised intensive care. Paediatric Intensive Care
Stabilisation and delivery of intensive care or high dependency care for paediatric patientsMain duties of the job
- Develop and establish evidence-based practice that contributes to the development and evaluation of nursing procedures in the unit
- Advise and recommend nursing interventions and changes to patient care following assessment, e.g. changes to pressure area care, changes to oxygen delivery.
- Use clinical skills and judgement to initiate clinical interventions, e.g. tracheal suctioning.
- Position patient to optimise care in complex situations including proning, log rolling.
- Assist with the stabilisation, transfer of patients to other department within the hospital e.g. CT, or to other hospitals for upgrade of care
- Maintain blood gas analyser, ventilators and transfer equipment.
- Take personal responsibility for putting the person receiving care first, and to challenge poor care/practise, doing so as soon as any shortcomings are seen.
Take charge of the unit in the absence of the lead sister / charge nurse.
- Allocate staff and organise shift cover in the absence of the lead sister / charge nurse.
- Provide leadership in the monitoring of standards of care.
- Assist the lead sister / charge nurse in the smooth running of the unit, providing leadership and supervision as necessary.
- Act as link nurse between the unit and specialist areas such as tissue viability, infection control, diabetes, pain, nutrition, paediatrics, organ donation.
- Participate in long term planning for patient care and staff welfare.
- Assist in the development and implementation of guidelines within ITU / HDU.
At NCIC, we have an ambition to deliver outstanding hospital and health services to half a million people. Established on 1st October 2019, the Trust is creating a centre of excellence in providing rural and remote healthcare and provides a wide range of community and acute services throughout north Cumbria and beyond. We're responsible for delivering over 70 services across 15 main locations and we employ more than 6,500 members of staff.
Our 5 key principles demonstrate our belief in the delivery of 'safe, high quality care every time'.
- Being a clinically led organisation
- Quality and safety at the heart
- A positive patient experience every time
- A great place to work
- Managing our money well
As an organisation we are serious about supporting a diverse workforce that reflects our local community and are very much focused on being an inclusive and compassionate place to work.
Across the North East and North Cumbria we are working together to deliver our ambition to be the greenest region in England by 2030. There is an expectation for all staff to support this by familiarising yourself with the Trust's sustainability initiatives such as waste and recycling, going paperless, videoconferencing, sustainable transport and others.
We encourage you to think about what you can do as an individual and within your team to contribute in to embedding carbon reduction into the everyday running of our organisationJob descriptionJob responsibilities
Please see attached Job description and person specification for further information regarding the role and the essential and desirable criteria required to be met by applicants.
Relocation assistance may be available for successful applicants moving to the region for certain posts. Please see our Policy for eligible vacancies? Healthcare Professionals returning to practice, moving into new roles or changing clinical environments, may access an agreed preceptorship period.
- Please ensure that you document evidence of meeting all the essential criteria in the supporting information.
- If sufficient response is received this post could be closed earlier than the specified closing date, please apply as soon as possible to ensure that your application is considered.
Candidates who have been successfully shortlisted for interview will be asked via an email notification to log on to their Trac account to select an interview time. This will usually be within 2 weeks of the closing date.
For candidates applying using a Hotmail account or have strict firewall settings please ensure the following:
Disclosure and Barring Service:
- Junk Mail is checked regularly
On 28 November 2020, the new Disclosure and Barring Service filtering rules will come into effect.
The changes mean that:
- youth cautions, reprimands and final warnings will no longer be subject to automatic disclosure
- the multiple conviction rule has been removed, meaning that if an individual has more than one conviction, regardless of offence type or time passed, each conviction will be considered against the remaining rules individually, rather than being automatically disclosed.
If you are unsure about whether you need to disclose certain criminal record information, free confidential advice may be sought from one of the charity bodies listed below. These bodies can advise you on what you are legally required to declare and may also be able to advise you on how you can disclose criminal record information to a prospective employer and your legal rights when doing so.
Nacro Tel: 0300 123 1999, or email: email@example.com
Unlock Tel: 01634 247350, email
firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the
online form on the Unlock website
The Trust is committed to safeguarding adults and children therefore if the post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (ROA) 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (as amended) the successful candidate(s) will be subject to a criminal records check with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). The cost of the DBS must be met by the successful candidate(s) through salary deduction. DBS charges are as follows if applicable to the post:
Standard Check: �18 + Administration cost of �3.85 = �21.85. Deducted at �6.85 from 1st month salary and �5 deducted from salary over following 3 months.
Enhanced Check: �38 + administration cost of �3.90 = �41.90. Deducted at �11.90 from 1st month salary and �10 deducted from salary over following 3 months.
As part of the one of the largest employers in the UK NCIC future employees will have also access to the following benefits.
A lease car may be available for this position further details will be provided upon appointment if applicable.
27 day holiday scheme rising to 33 after 10 years
Flexible working Scheme
Excellent opportunities for development
Competitive NHS Pension scheme
Access to NHS discounts with retailers and leisure companies
EAP (Employee Assistance Programme) a free, confidential counselling and information service to assist with personal or work-related problems
These schemes are subject to availabilityPerson SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Registered nurse with Valid Registration
- Mentorship Qualification
- Further relevant post-registration development and training in Critical Care
- Critical care Course or equivalent.
- STEPS Competencies
- Leadership Course
- Intensive care Nursing
- Budgetray Awareness
Desirable Skills and AptitudesEssential
- NMC code of professional Conduct
- Knowledge of NICE/DOH guidelines
- Current ITU & HDU techniques.
- Professional leadership within area of practice.
- oAble to act as a clinical supervisor, mentor and preceptor.
- oWell developed communication and interpersonal skills.
- oAbility to work as a member of a team, without supervision
- oProject development skills
- oAbility to demonstrate the compassionate values and behaviours needed for dignified care.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- IT Skills
- Leadership Skills
North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation TrustAddress
West Cumberland Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.