INTERNAL ONLY TO NORTH CUMBRIA INTEGRATED CARE NHS FOUNDATION TRUST (NCIC) TRUST EMPLOYEES
Head of Nursing Patient Safety, 37.5 hours per week. Secondment Opportunity
The Head of Nursing Patient Safety is a senior professional manager who works within the Trust's nursing leadership team. The post holder will work integrally with the Deputy Medical Director for patient safety and the Medical Director for governance and closely with the Quality Governance Team to implement the Patient Safety Incident Response Framework (PSIRF) across NCIC.
The post holder will be responsible for providing nursing leadership, visibility and expert support to patient safety work and clinical quality improvement and assurance matters, strategies and plans across the organisation.Main duties of the job
Working collaboratively with the Deputy MD patient safety & MD for Governance design, develop and implementation of the Patient Safety Investigation Response Framework (PSIRF) within NCIC taking into account organisational culture, needs and meeting national time scales.
Act as one of the Trusts Patient Safety Specialists working closely with the Patient Safety Partners to fulfil the requirements of the National Patient Safety Stragegy.
Incident and PSII management (clinical representation and advice to the patient safety oversight group), including team working with the collaborative leadership team to ensure and assure that any due learning takes place and can be evidenced
Providing clinical leadership for the harms reduction strategy, including: patient falls, pressure damage, deteriorating patient, learning disability/autism/complex patients and medication safety.About us
At NCIC, we have an ambition to deliver outstanding hospital and health services to half a million people. Established on 1st October 2019, the Trust is creating a centre of excellence in providing rural and remote healthcare and provides a wide range of community and acute services throughout north Cumbria and beyond. We're responsible for delivering over 70 services across 15 main locations and we employ more than 6,500 members of staff.
Our 5 key principles demonstrate our belief in the delivery of 'safe, high quality care every time'.
- Being a clinically led organisation
- Quality and safety at the heart
- A positive patient experience every time
- A great place to work
- Managing our money well
As an organisation we are serious about supporting a diverse workforce that reflects our local community and are very much focused on being an inclusive and compassionate place to work.
Across the North East and North Cumbria we are working together to deliver our ambition to be the greenest region in England by 2030. There is an expectation for all staff to support this by familiarising yourself with the Trust's sustainability initiatives such as waste and recycling, going paperless, videoconferencing, sustainable transport and others.
We encourage you to think about what you can do as an individual and within your team to contribute in to embedding carbon reduction into the everyday running of our organisation.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please see attached Job description and person specification for further information regarding the role and the essential and desirable criteria required to be met by applicants.
Relocation assistance may be available for successful applicants moving to the region for certain posts. Please see our Policy for eligible vacancies?
- Please ensure that you document evidence of meeting all the essential criteria in the supporting information.
- If sufficient response is received this post could be closed earlier than the specified closing date, please apply as soon as possible to ensure that your application is considered.
Candidates who have been successfully shortlisted for interview will be asked via an email notification to log on to their Trac account to select an interview time. This will usually be within 2 weeks of the closing date.
For candidates applying using a Hotmail account or have strict firewall settings please ensure the following:
Disclosure and Barring Service:
- Junk Mail is checked regularly
On 28 November 2020, the new Disclosure and Barring Service filtering rules will come into effect.
The changes mean that:
- youth cautions, reprimands and final warnings will no longer be subject to automatic disclosure
- the multiple conviction rule has been removed, meaning that if an individual has more than one conviction, regardless of offence type or time passed, each conviction will be considered against the remaining rules individually, rather than being automatically disclosed.
If you are unsure about whether you need to disclose certain criminal record information, free confidential advice may be sought from one of the charity bodies listed below. These bodies can advise you on what you are legally required to declare and may also be able to advise you on how you can disclose criminal record information to a prospective employer and your legal rights when doing so.
Nacro Tel: 0300 123 1999, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Unlock Tel: 01634 247350, email
email@example.com or complete the
online form on the Unlock website
The Trust is committed to safeguarding adults and children therefore if the post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (ROA) 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (as amended) the successful candidate(s) will be subject to a criminal records check with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). The cost of the DBS must be met by the successful candidate(s) through salary deduction. DBS charges are as follows if applicable to the post:
Standard Check: �18 + Administration cost of �3.85 = �21.85. Deducted at �6.85 from 1st month salary and �5 deducted from salary over following 3 months.
Enhanced Check: �38 + administration cost of �3.90 = �41.90. Deducted at �11.90 from 1st month salary and �10 deducted from salary over following 3 months.
As part of the one of the largest employers in the UK NCIC future employees will have also access to the following benefits.
A lease car may be available for this position further details will be provided upon appointment if applicable.
27 day holiday scheme rising to 33 after 10 years
Flexible working Scheme
Excellent opportunities for development
Competitive NHS Pension scheme
Access to NHS discounts with retailers and leisure companies
EAP (Employee Assistance Programme) a free, confidential counselling and information service to assist with personal or work-related problems
These schemes are subject to availabilityPerson SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Professional Registration
- First level degree in health related subject or evidence of equivalent experience
- Master's level qualification in health related subject or equivalent demonstrable experience, skill and competence at a senior level
- Leadership/ Management Qualification or post registration leadership development courses
- Evidence of relevant specialist study and continued personal and professional development
- oPatient safety syllabus training level 1, 2, 3 & 4 (willing to work towards)
Knowledge & ExperienceEssential
- Coaching and/or mentoring qualification
- Human Factors/ergonomics training/qualification
- Post graduate study in aspects of patient safety.
- Leadership role at senior level in a large complex organisation
- Significant experience of leading large and/or diverse teams in a complex environment/multi-professional staff groups
- Extensive experience of leading the delivery of the patient safety, clinical risk, governance and quality agenda
- oManagement processes and quality improvement initiatives
- Effective budgetary management
- Experience of communicating effectively at a senior level, with the multi-disciplinary team as well as the wider organisation
- Experience of recognising need for, initiating, implementing and influencing change within a complex organisation
- Preparing and writing reports to a high (Trust Board) standard
- Presenting to a range of forums
- Experience of involving staff, users and carers in redesign and change management
- Experience of service improvement redesign and delivery
- Experience of delivery of quality improvement programmes
- Project management Implementation of service
- Extensive knowledge and experience in relation to professional nursing matters
- Extensive knowledge of the current national patient safety and quality governance agenda and best practice
- Sound practical understanding of quality improvement techniques, clinical audit, risk management, complaints, incident management
- In depth knowledge of national drivers regarding the quality and safety agenda and NHS policy and strategy in relation to patient safety
- Understanding of research methodologies and how they influence best practice
- Knowledge of Patient Safety strategy & Patient Safety Incident Response Framework
- oKnowledge of Systems working & Just Culture
- oSystem based investigation methods for patient safety
Skills & AptitudesEssential
- Multi professional problem solving in teams
- Experience of implementation of change/continuous improvement
- Knowledge of service improvement and the use of service improvement methodologies
- Excellent interpersonal skills with proven ability to communicate complex, sensitive and contentious information effectively
- Advanced leadership skills, and the ability to lead a team to successfully deliver relevant obligations on time
- Ability to develop effective working relationships and communicate successfully at a senior level both internally as well as with external organisations
- Ability to anticipate and identify barriers to communication and take action to improve
- Ability to identify and promote innovative approaches to improvement
- Organised, systematic and ability to work under own volition
- Ability to manage competing and demanding work schedules and meet performance indicators and completion timeframes
- Ability to prioritise using risk based approach
- Ability to quickly learn new information, adapt to changing working environments and make reasoned decisions
- Ability to formulate and implement short, medium and long term strategic plans
- Ability to assimilate information, analyse complex data and present effectively to different audiences
- Excellent IT skills
- Team player
- Resilience necessary to overcome obstacles and resistance
- Energy for continued improvement, helping to develop and support a learning culture and environment
- Accountable for own actions and the consequences of interventions with individuals and groups
- Ability to interpret and effectively use data (extracts, collates, quantitatively analyses and validates data), recognising alternative solutions where necessary
- Highly developed report writing and presentation skills
- Research and audit skills
- Service improvement/change management skills
- Able to prioritise and respond urgently for requests for information
- Able to manage conflict
- Able to build professional rapport and credibility with clinical and managerial teams
- Well-developed influencing/persuading/decision making skills
- Ability to think/work strategically, analyse complex problems and interact in a complex multi-disciplinary organisation
- Project management skills
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Personal integrity and commitment acting in an open and honest manner
- Flexible regarding work patterns
- Able to travel extensively within the County on a regular basis
- Act in ways that support equality and value diversity
- Highly motivated and non-judgemental
North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.