An exciting opportunity for a band 6 Thoracic Nurse Specialist to join our team on a 12 month fix term basis. The Thoracic Nurse Specialists are a busy team of 3 experienced nurses providing expert care to patients having thoracic Surgery. We are looking for anexperienced and highly motivated individual.
Experience in the management of Thoracic Surgical patients is desirable, however we welcome applications from individuals with respiratory/surgical/oncologyexperience also.
The role is patient facing, meeting patients at the start of their surgical journey, and supporting right the way through until discharge from the service. This involves acting as an advocate for our patient's best interests, and liaising with other specialties and health care professionals, to ensure patients receive the best possible care. Part of this involves regularly travelling to peripheral clinic sites within the east midlands, and there for a driving license and access to a car for business use is essential to the role.Main duties of the job
The post holder will act as a key point of contact for out Thoracic Surgery patients. We are looking to attract someone with great communication skills, who is confident and competent at engaging with patients/relatives & the wider multidisciplinary team to ensure excellent patient care/experience, and that trust values are maintained.
A key aspect of the role involves daily communication with patients, relatives, carers and other health care professionals both face to face and by telephone. The nature of the service, managing patients with a wide range of conditions, requires a high degree of empathy, understanding,honesty and integrity.About us
We are one of the biggest and busiest NHS trusts in the country, incorporating the General, Glenfield and Royal Infirmary hospitals. We have our very own Children's Hospital and run one of the country's leading heart centres.
Our team is made up of more than 17,000 staff providing a range of services primarily for the one million residents of Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland.
We work with partners at the University of Leicester and De Montfort University providing world-class teaching to nurture and develop the next generation of doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals, many of whom go on to spend their working lives with us.
- We focus on what matters most
- We treat others how we would like to be treated
- We are passionate and creative in our work
- We do what we say we are going to do
- We are one team and we are best when we work together
Our patients are at the heart of all we do and we believe that it is not just about the treatments and services we provide, but about giving our patients the best possible experience.
About the University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust:
http://www.leicestershospitals.nhs.uk/aboutus/work-for-us/current-vacancies/ The detailed job description and main responsibilities are included as an attachment to this advert.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Be a clinical and professional expert resource and role model for patients, carers and the multi-professional team.
- Work alongside other specialist nurses / Head of Nursing to ensure the development and delivery of a high quality service.
- Directly or indirectly influence all aspects of care and management of patients within the service/speciality.
- Deliver high quality, clinically effective care, and patient experience, utilising research in collaboration with colleagues in everyday practice.
- NMC Registered Nurse Qualification
- Degree or equivalent in Nursing
- Teaching and Assessing Qualification
- Evidence of ongoing professional development
- Minimum of 2 years post registration experience, including 2 years in a relevant specialty
Communication and relationship skillsEssential
- Specialist Thoracic Knowledge
- Previous involvement in audit and/or research
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
University Hospitals of Leicester NHS TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.