A full-time opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic and motivated person to join our team at the Royal Surrey Hospital (RSH) and be part of our growing oesophago-gastric (OG) team. You will be a part of an award winning, proactive dietetic department at the Royal Surrey NHS Foundation Trust in Guildford.
The RSH is an established regional unit for both oncology and benign surgical OG procedures, with chemotherapy and radiotherapy treatments delivered onsite from St Luke's Cancer Centre. As an integral member of the MDT, you will have the opportunity to gain experience and develop your skills in the dietetic management of both oncology and surgical OG patients in a supportive environment with peer supervision and on the job training.
We are looking for somebody with experience in surgery and / or oncology with an interest in the speciality. We need a team player who takes pride in providing an efficient and effective dietetic service. The caseload will be very varied and will work closely within the OG MDT.
The Dietetic Department at the Royal Surrey Hospital has an active audit and research culture, promoting clinical effectiveness in patient care. You will join a forward thinking and innovative dietetic team, which undertakes the training of A, B and C placement students, and is involved in teaching at the University of Surrey as well as supporting students with dissertation projects.Main duties of the job
- To provide dietetic support within an agreed caseload to individuals requiring treatment for OG oncological diagnoses, including chemotherapy, radiotherapy and surgery along with benign OG pathologies.
- To apply skills, knowledge and experience specific to this specialty to calculate nutritional requirements and interpret biochemical and anthropometric measurements.
- To initiate, establish and monitor enteral feeding care for patients, and continued monitoring in the community.
- To provide dietetic advice utilising motivational, empathetic and reassurance skills to enable the patient to change their behaviour in areas of diet, personal health management and activity.
- To be responsible for providing nutrition support to patients who lack capacity to consent working closely with the doctors and nursing staff to ensure appropriate capacity assessments, documentation and discussion with patients next of kin, take place according to trust policy.
- To provide specialist advice to Trust doctors, GPs, and other prescribers on the appropriate prescribing of nutritional supplements (including energy, protein, vitamin and mineral supplements).
- To provide a resource of expert nutritional knowledge for other health professionals (including dietitians), across the Trust and in other units that refer to the Specialty Team.
- To work with other professionals to ensure best practice. This will include reviewing, updating and implementing nutrition and dietetic-related policies and procedure.
Royal Surrey is a compassionate and collaborative acute and community Trust. Recognising that our 5000 colleagues are our greatest strength, we offer a comprehensive health and wellbeing program along with a commitment to developing and advancing your career. Our diverse and welcoming Royal Surrey family will ensure you that you feel valued from your initial interview through your entire tenure.
We are clinically led and provide joined up care by bridging the gap between hospital and community services alongside regional specialist cancer care. Our main acute hospital site is in Guildford with community hospital sites at Milford, Haslemere and Cranleigh. We provide adult community health services in homes across Guildford and Waverley.
We have received an overall Good rating from the CQC with Medical care (including older peoples care), End of Life Care and Maternity services being deemed Outstanding by the CQC.
Royal Surrey has a strong reputation and history to build on. We are proud of our achievements and we are investing in our colleagues through our commitment to supporting professional development as well as investing more than �45 million in our physical environment and new equipment in the next few years. There has never been a better time to join us.
A video about the Royal Surrey - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HsiGn9joTQJob descriptionJob responsibilities
The post holder will work as part of the OG Specialist Dietetic team and regional OG MDT members based at RSH & SLCC. They will formulate and implement nutrition support for patients from diagnosis, during any oncology treatment at SLCC and before & after surgery at RSCH. The post holder will assess, monitor and review patients in a full range of settings including inpatients, outpatients and telephone or email communication. The post holder will be working as part of the MDT attending inpatient ward rounds, seeing patients within multidisciplinary clinics and participating in associated meetings (including weekly MDT meetings). The post holder will be a resource in the area of OG Surgery and Nutrition for other health professionals in the Royal Surrey and surrounding healthcare units.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- BSc in Dietetics or equivalent and registration with HCPC
- Evidence of post qualifying and continuing professional development.
- Member of the British Dietetics Association.
- Membership of BDA specialist group.
- Driving license
- Post qualification experience including nutrition support and enteral feeding.
- Evidence of MDT work.
- Evidence of experience in surgery.
- Evidence of ability to manage complex clinical presentations .
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (specifically Word and Excel) .
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Experience in parenteral nutrition support
- Experience and input to oncology/palliative care setting
- Experience of training/supporting others (including students) within specialist clinical area
- Experience of providing teaching and training
- Work in acute and community settings.
Royal Surrey NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Royal Surrey Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.