We are an inner-city hospital with a long tradition of being staffed by migrants for migrants. With the fast pace of a large acute trust and with competing claims on your attention, do you have the personal resilience and knowledge of organisational cultures to manage the day to day demands and lift yourself away to focus on the strategic priorities?
Are you able to understand and respond to the rich diversity of our staff ensuring that we harness the opportunities that this brings? You will need to have the experience and insight to develop sophisticated responses to this complexity.
Our hospitals can't keep delivering our services to patients in the way that we currently do, so you will need to understand future challenges and develop a workforce that is fit for the future.
We are aware that the hospital can do more to develop a culture of welcome and belonging, where opportunities are available to everyone with the right talents. You will need to be able to empower people to escalate concerns, to have compassionate conversations and you will need to be frank and honest about speaking truth to those around you.
There is much good in the hospital and also much that needs transforming. Can you bring ideas from outside the traditions of the NHS, find unconventional solutions to our challenges through collaboration across our group and with local partners and help create an atmosphere where personal experience of all kinds is welcomed rather than becoming a cause of friction?Main duties of the job
You will be a key player in the wider Barts Health People leadership community and the development opportunities and support this will bring. You will be working in a superb hospital, newly commissioned in 2012, with an Education Academy, soon to host a purpose-built Clinical Research Facility on the 15th Floor of our Tower, and, excitingly, East London's new Barts Life Sciences Centre with Queen Mary University.
You will be part of an exceptional team of peers across seven hospitals within the Barts Group at Whipps Cross, St Bartholomew's and Newham, and our Group People functions, and are also working ever more closely in a collaborative with Barking, Havering & Redbridge University Trust, with the opportunities this brings.
We believe that the widest diversity and difference of personal backgrounds and appropriate skill on the Exec will enable us to deliver the required transformation in services and culture and we are keen to see people from a range of upbringings and ethnicity. We are trialling a new de-biasing process for our senior roles - Diversity by Design's Recruiting for Difference. You will be assessed for the shortlist solely on the basis of the responses you give to the scenarios in your application, which have been agreed by the panel. Please avoid giving identifying information in your answers (e.g. don't name a Trust where you are working/have worked but rather describe it by say size and scope). The panel will not be looking at CVs to shortlist candidates.About us
Barts Health is one of the largest NHS trusts in the country, and one of Britain's leading healthcare providers.
The Barts Health group of NHS hospitals is entering an exciting new era on our improvement journey to becoming an outstanding organisation with a world-class clinical reputation. Having lifted ourselves out of special measures, we now have the impetus and breathing space to chart a fresh course in which we are continually striving to improve all our services for patients.
Our vision is to be a high-performing group of NHS hospitals, renowned for excellence and innovation, and providing safe and compassionate care to our patients in east London and beyond. That means being a provider of excellent patient safety, known for delivering consistently high standards of harm-free care and always caring for patients in the right place at the right time. It also means being an outstanding place to work, in which our WeCare values and behaviours are visible to all and guide us in how we work together.
We strive to live by our WeCare values and are committed to promoting inclusion, where every staff member has a sense of belonging. We value our differences and fully advocate, cultivate and support an inclusive working environment. We particularly welcome applications from Black, Asian and minority ethnic candidates as they are underrepresented within Barts Health at this band.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The full job description provides an overview of the key tasks and responsibilities of the role, and the person specification outlines the qualifications, skills, experience, and knowledge required. For both documents, please view the attachment/s below.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Evidence of continuous personal and professional development
- Current knowledge of the leadership and management context of the NHS, and HR systems and processes necessary for delivering excellence in health care.
- A thorough understanding of modern HR & OD theory and practice.
- Good working knowledge of current employment law.
- Strong grasp for diversity & inclusion issues
- Experience in a senior HR position, managing complex change
- Experience of managing Employee Relations within a multi-union environment
- Proven track record of achievement in the NHS or similar complex, customer-facing organisation.
- Experience in leading diverse services and programmes across different functions and leading and facilitating stakeholders through major change
- Experience of building workforce plans and new workforce models that are underpinned by robust quantitative analysis
- Proven ability to evaluate and optimise business cases and to construct effective business models for service delivery
- Ability to work effectively within a matrix organisation
- Demonstrate solid professional decision-making ability and able to manage complex professional and people issues
- Proven track record of leading the development if compassionate and inclusive cultures from team to organisation level
- Well-developed ability to: oCustomise people strategies. oShape effective change management plans oIdentify learning and development needs in a systematic way. oProvide coaching and support on complex ER issues. oLead employee engagement initiatives oUse HR information systems to gather people data and insights.
- Highly skilled problem-solver with an ability to find innovative solution to complex challenges
- Strong budgetary, analytical and statistical skills with an ability to develop insight from a range of data sources
- A highly credible and strategic leader with a visible, engaging, motivational and inspiring leadership style
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills both verbal, written and presentation together with excellent listening skills
- Capable of inspiring people to think and act innovatively and to challenge established ways of doing things
- Highly developed interpersonal, influencing, negotiation and persuasion skills with the ability to effectively handle highly sensitive issues
Employer detailsEmployer name
- QI techniques & methodologies
Barts Health NHS TrustAddress
Royal London Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.