AWP has a small but dynamic team of dietitians, join us at Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust as a Catering Dietitian in an exciting new role! As a key player in a Catering Dietitian leadership role, you'll transform supporting and implementation of the new National Standards for Healthcare Food and Drink.
The role is Trust wide, therefore this offers flexibility on base as well as using a blended approach to office and home working.
This new role will be an integral member of the team, over-seeing the nutritional and allergen aspects of our menus and providing a dietetic advice and consultation service to our staff to assist with developing, implementing and reviewing nutrition care plans for individuals on our in-patient wards.
Come enhance patient nutritional requirements and be part of this journeyMain duties of the job
The post holder will be an expert nutrition and dietetic resource to the catering department providing support to ensure compliance with recommended healthcare nutrition and hydration standards to provide an effective food and drink service for patients.
The post holder will work in partnership with the multidisciplinary team (catering, dietetics, speech and language therapy, nursing and medical) and lead on a strategic level in the development, delivery and evaluation of the food and drink service in order to achieve healthcare food service best practice.
The post holder will drive continuous improvements on catering matters and improve practices trust wide.About us
We are AWP (Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust) a diverse organisation with over 5,000 dedicated staff providing inpatient and community-based mental health care. We provide services from a range of locations to approximately 1.8 million people living in Bath and North East Somerset (B& NES), Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, across the county of Wiltshire and in parts of Dorset. Our outstanding people promote mental health and wellbeing. The expertise and resources within AWP are dedicated to a person-centred approach for those who use our services and for all employees. We recognise that happy and fulfilled employees give better care.
At AWP we actively encourage applicants from all backgrounds we are particularly keen to encourage applications from people from Black, Asian and minority ethnic backgrounds, those with disabilities and from the LGBTQ+ community. We want people to bring their unique blend of experiences, backgrounds, perspectives and knowledge to AWP, as diversity makes us stronger.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
1. To Ensure the trust provides food and drink that meets nutritional requirements of all service users, inclusive of therapeutic requirements
2. To have a working knowledge of national & best practice guidelines
3. To keep up to date on all relevant nutritional standards, guidelines and legislation and translate this into trust targets and policies
4. To liaise with the Nutrition and Dietetics department to scope all patient nutritional requirements to ensure they are included in the trusts food and drink service specification
5. To champion the needs of service user groups with special dietary needs with nursing staff and catering to ensure the dietary needs of all service users are met
6. To assess compliance of current practice to relevant food and drink legislation, guidelines and standards and aim for ongoing improvement based on new evidence
7. To advise on relevant nutrition and dietetics matters and provide expertise which draws upon the reviewing of current research, publications and best practice
8. To be involved in the sign off process of new ingredients and or products to ensure they comply with relevant guidelines and standards
9. T o lead on patient menu reviews, ensuring that all nutritional, diet coding and allergen content meets national standards and encompasses all reasonable dietary requirements, religious beliefs and the wide range of cultural diets
10. To develop and apply meaningful diet coding criteria to menus ensuring that all proposed menus are coded correctly for patients in line with BDA Nutrition and Hydration digest guidelines
11. To analyse the nutritional and allergen content of all recipes and ensure diet coding and ingredient information is available at ward level
12. To liaise with any external organisations involved in the food supply chain to ensure compliance with hospital food standards and trust specifications
13. To actively participate in general health promotion, in line with government policies and local priorities, liaising closely with the public health departments
14. To lead with catering presentations in preparing dietetic catering information on new and or existing food service tenders
15. To conduct menu analysis reviews to ensure that menus are capable of providing adequate nutritional value to all service users in a ward environment.
16. To undertake audit work within this setting to improve clinical care
17. To ensure that targets & outcomes are set and met in line with trust and departmental objectives and contractual requirements
18. To carry out good office practice in accordance with the departments policies and procedures.
19. To work as a team member in Nutrition and Dietetics team, which may involve providing leave cover and any other duties commensurate with the post, as requested by the Head of Nutrition and DieteticsPerson SpecificationEssentialEssential
- oDegree or post graduate diploma in Dietetics
- oSignificant demonstrable post registration experience as a Band 6 Dietitian
- oAn understanding of MDT working
- oAbility to work autonomously
- oHighly developed written and verbal communication skills
- oKnowledge of relevant legislation associated with healthcare nutrition and hydration and relevance to mental health setting
- oAble to show initiative within scope of practice and evidence-based practice
- oAble to contribute effectively in strategic development of service
- Evidence of Continuing Professional Development
- Use of nutritional analysis software
- Experience of communicating complex information
Employer detailsEmployer name
- oUnderstanding of Mental Health in dietetics
- oFlexible and able to adapt to change
- oAbility to teach and train others in specialist area
- Experience in the field of catering and dietetics
- Evidence of food service specific CPD
- Leadership skills training
- Evidence of regional / national policy and practice development
Avon & Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS TrustAddress
Callington Road Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.