An opportunity has arisen within Pathology - Blood Sciences at Pilgrim Hospital Boston for a Band 6 Specialist Biomedical Scientist / Band 5 Biomedical Scientist / Trainee Biomedical Scientist, depending on qualifications, experience and potential. The successful applicant will, after completion of the departmental multi-disciplinary training programme, be required to work in all sections of the laboratory including Clinical Chemistry, Haematology and Blood Transfusion.
The current analytical equipment in the laboratory includes Roche Cobas 8000, Sysmex XN 2000, Werfen ACL TOP and Bio-Rad IHD.
Previous experience in Blood Sciences and Blood Transfusion as part of a multi-disciplinary team would be an advantage, but not essential as full training in all disciplines will be given.Main duties of the job
You will be required to have good communication and keyboard skills, along with the ability to work under pressure. Although working as part of a team of Biomedical Scientists, once fully trained, you should also be capable of working independently.
Participation in the 24hr shift service is a requirement of the post.
We are committed to personal and professional development. Training within your new post will be given if necessary. Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is encouraged.
Biomedical scientists carry out a range of laboratory and scientific tests to support the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
The successful candidate will be expected to work as part of the multidisciplinary Blood Sciences laboratory after appropriate training and completion of the relevant in-house competencies. They willuse either automated instrumentation or manual techniques toperform routine and specialist investigations on samples in accordance with Path Links Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
They will perform routine maintenance on complex, high-value laboratory equipment and 'troubleshoot' problems that arise during the courses of the working day, rectifying them, or seeking appropriate assistance.
The work is highly varied, practical and analytical.About us
We're a large organisation with three hospitals located in Scunthorpe, Grimsby and Goole. We also provide community services in North Lincolnshire. Pathology services are provided by our Path Links network, with the main sites located at Grimsby, Scunthorpe, Lincoln, Grantham and Boston. Our 6,500 members of staff care for and support a population of more than 400,000 people.
We encourage all our staff to innovate and adopt 'best practice' so we can deliver excellent care to our patients. We ask staff to live our values kindness, courage and respect.
We are committed to recruiting the best people to work with us. You could be one of them.
To learn more about Northern Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust, and discover the unique benefits on offer to employees, view our latest videos, plus more, please visit our recruitment website at https://joinnlag.co.uk/
Should we receive a high volume of applications for this vacancy, the advert may be closed earlier than stated. To view a full job description and person specification please see attachments on this advert.
In line with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the Recruitment & Workforce team will use and hold your personal data for the intended purpose and in line with the Recruitment & Workforce Privacy Statement.
We are committed to safeguarding the welfare of children/vulnerable adults and expect the same commitment from all staff and volunteers.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Candidates should have the following qualifications:
- Trainee B5 BMS
- IBMS accredited Biomedical Sciences Degree
- Working through their IBMS Registration Portfolio
- Registered B5 BMS
- IBMS accredited Biomedical Sciences Degree
- Completed IBMS Registration Portfolio
- HCPC registration
- Specialist B6 BMS
- As above plus they should have completed their IBMS Specialist Portfolio in one of the Blood Sciences disciplines
The main responsibilities of the successful candidate will be:
- Processing of pathology samples
- Entering patient requests and results using a LIMS
- Performing routine and complex pathology investigations
- Ability to accurately use a calibrated pipette
- Loading/unloading and filing of samples
- Use and maintenance of automated analytical platforms
- Technical validation of patient results using various laboratory middleware (B5/B6)
- Clinical authorisation of patient results (B6 only)
- Interpretation of internal and external controls
- Day-to-day supervisory responsibility over lower-grade support staff
- Communicating results and other queries with service users by telephone or other means.
For more detailed information, please read the job description linked below.We are committed to creating and maintaining a fair and supportive working environment and culture, where contributions are fully recognised and valued by all and staff feel empowered to carry out their duties to the best of their abilities. As employers we are committed to promoting and protecting the physical and mental health and well-being of all our staff. This underpins our values as set out in the NHS Constitution, supports us to be an Employer of Choice and ultimately enables our employees to support the effective care of our patients.
We strongly value the different perspectives and ideas a diverse workforce brings to deliver better outcomes for our patients. We welcome applications irrespective of peoples age, disability, sex, gender identity and gender expression, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, or other personal circumstances.
Please be aware that all newemployees starting work with us will be charged for the cost of their DBS check, if it is required for their role.Person SpecificationOther attributesEssential
Desirable Occupational ExperienceEssential
- Evidence of team working & overall suitability
- Experience working in the NHS
- Experience within an NHS Blood Sciences Laboratory (Haem/Chem/Transfusion)
Education and QualificationsEssential
- Previous 'out of hours' working experience.
- BSc in Biomedical Sciences (IBMS accredited degree)
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Registration with, or eligibility to register with, the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- IBMS Specialist Portfolio/MSc
Northern Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Pilgrim Hospital Boston
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.