Main duties of the job
- Provide Clinical Pharmacy Services to the Rheumatology firm and specialist medicines directorate
- Managing high-cost medicines access and approval at RJAH Orthopaedic Hospital Foundation Trust
- Manage new therapy introduction to the formulary and lead on relevant NICE TA's as part of the MDT.
- Manage access to biologic and biosimilar medicines to support better value initiatives for the ICS.
- Take part in ward, dispensary, and clinic activity to support the wider pharmacy team service.
- Provide an advanced level of clinical pharmacy service as part of the designated pharmacy team in line with the clinical pharmacy standards and objectives to designated wards/ clinics according to service needs
- Develop the Rheumatology Clinical Pharmacy Service, providing expert pharmaceutical advice to ensure safe and effective use of medicines.
- Update and act as the authorised pharmacy lead for medicine-related policies and procedures for Rheumatology and High-cost medicines.
- Support the specialist teams for rheumatology and high-cost medicines to develop, review, and update treatment guidelines, patient group directions, protocols, and shared care guidelines so they remain fit for purpose and in line with current legislation.
- Participate in Rheumatology team meetings including education and business meetings.
- Act as the pharmacy link with the specialist medical and nursing team(s) and disseminate information arising to the whole pharmacy team and train relevant staff in the use of any systems or procedures.
- Update areas of netFormulary that pertain to specialist area and support regional IMOC to ensure the ICS formulary is fit for purpose.
About usThe Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic NHS Trust (RJAH)
- Practice as a non-medical independent prescriber within agreed therapeutic areas, prescribing for the benefit of patients and within your scope of practice in accordance with the RJAH Orthopaedic Hospital Foundation Trust policy for non-medical prescribers.
is one of the leading orthopaedic hospitals in the country, with some of the highest levels of staff and patient satisfaction, as well as a strong reputation for research and innovation.
Joining RJAH is more than just a job - we want our people to have the best opportunities to thrive in their role.We have a range of fantastic staff benefits on offer to everyone who joins RJAH and you'll have access to outstanding professional development opportunities and state-of-the-art facilities - including our recently-opened �6 million Headley Court Veterans' Orthopaedic Centre (the first unit of its kind in the UK).RJAH has strong links with a range of universities including Staffordshire, Keele, Glyndwr, Chester and Birmingham.The hospital is located on a site outside Oswestry in Oswestry, just off the A5. The nearest train station is in Gobowen, approximately two miles from the hospital. The station is part of the Chester to Birmingham line.We are based in North Shropshire, close to the border with North and Mid Wales. It is one of the most attractive parts of the country, with a rich historic culture and excellent transport links. It offers outstanding opportunities for anyone who enjoys an outdoor lifestyle or is looking to raise a family.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Lead the specialist clinical pharmacy service for Rheumatology and high-cost drugs
Provide specialist pharmacist advice and services to teams and patients managing these medicines, referring to up to date evidence, established National and local guidelines and standards.
Liaise with relevant pharmacy, medical and nursing staff, other allied health professionals (AHPs) and managers to promote safe, evidence based and cost-effective use of medication in Rheumatology and high-cost areas.
Provide an advanced clinical pharmacy service to the Trust and Rheumatology service as part of the MDT.
Provide advice to the Homecare team regarding the provision of RJAH Pharmacy Homecare Service in line with the Hackett Report and Royal Pharmaceutical Society Homecare Standards.
Assume a lead role on behalf of the Chief Pharmacist in relevant working groups and committees.
Work towards Advanced Clinical Practitioner Role
Provide an advanced level of clinical pharmacy service as part of the designated pharmacy team in line with the clinical pharmacy standards and objectives to designated wards/ clinics according to service needs
Provide information and specialist advice on medicines to healthcare professionals to meet patients needs, improve prescribing, and ensure best practice.
Ensure implementation of local, regional, and national medicines policies/procedures and treatment guidelines
Provide specialist advice to patients and carers regarding the safe and appropriate use of medicines and assist in developing an adherent approach to medication regimens.
Identify, record, regularly review and document clinical interventions to ensure identified issues are followed up and resolved appropriately.
Contribute to the identification and investigation of drug-related incidents, medication errors, concerns and complaints as required by the senior Pharmacist team and medicines safety officer.
Report identified major risk issues to the relevant clinical lead in line with requirements for risk management and duty of candour.
Carry out therapeutic switching of medication to formulary choice as appropriate in line with the cost improvement programme and Trust policies.
Work closely with the medical, nursing and pharmacy teams and contribute proactively to the efficient and timely discharge of patients.Person SpecificationQualifications/TrainingEssential
- Honours Degree in Pharmacy / MPharm
- Registered as a pharmacist with the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC)
- Diploma in Clinical Pharmacy from a recognised UK provider (min 2 years)
- Independent Prescribing Qualification
- Management Training Qualification
- Significant post-registration hospital pharmacy practice experience
- Experience of planning, delivering, and reporting audit and research projects.
- Wide experience of ward-based clinical pharmacy including rheumatology
- Commitment and evidence of formal continuous professional development
- Experience in medicines management services to individual patients (at the bedside)
- Experience of service development and staff management
- Able to supervise, and provide clinical leadership to Pharmacy staff
Skills and CompetenciesEssential
- Post registration hospital pharmacy practice experience
- Experience with managing/working with homecare and high-cost drugs
- Able to work independently or as a member of a team
- Ability to deal with unpredictable workload.
- Computer literate - Internet, e-Mail, MS Office applications
- Excellent verbal, numeric and written communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure whilst maintaining accuracy
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Accountable for own professional actions
- Ability to cope with enquiries / concerns, responding professionally and confidentially with empathy
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Good range of pharmaceutical knowledge especially regarding musculoskeletal disorders
- Good interpretation of current pharmacy / NHS issues
Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Foundation TrustAddress
The Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.