We have an active research strategy with the department being recognised as a pilot site for numerous national studies. There have been more than fifty articles and posters accepted for publication or presentation at national and international conferences, produced by nursing and medical staff from the paediatric emergency department.
We are looking for a hardworking and committed individual to join our team as a fixed term Band 5 Paediatric staff nurse for 1 year, supporting the team to provide high quality care in our busy and fast paced department. You will have the opportunity to work in all areas of the Paediatric ED including major trauma/resuscitation and the Paediatric CDU. You will be supported by a Modern Matron, Clinical Nurse Educator and Nurse Consultant in Emergency Care. All members of the nursing team have a designated link role or work stream to enhance clinical service delivery and development of the ED. Staff are encouraged to develop their clinical skills through nurse led discharge from the ED, providing medications through the use of Patient Group Directives, plastering and suturing, requesting x-rays from triage and cannulation of paediatric patients. Your development will be supported through education with regular teaching taking place within the department. Staff members are expected to undertake mandatory study in accordance with their personal development programme.Main duties of the job
- Following the preceptorship period the post holder is expected to carry out all relevant forms of care without direct supervision and is required to demonstrate procedures, supervise unqualified and adaptation staff whilst maintaining a safe environment.
- To provide high quality, effective, individualised care to all patients that is compassionate and caring.
- To assess care needs and develop, implement and evaluate them without supervision
- To assist in leading and monitoring the performance of the nursing team
- The post holder will work with the ward manager and multi-disciplinary team members in monitoring and maintaining policies, standards of nursing care and staff development, as part of the ward team.
- To be flexible in the approach to the clinical area and provide cover for any area specified within the Emergency Department.
At Imperial College Healthcare you can achieve extraordinary things with extraordinary people, working with leading clinicians pushing boundaries in patient care. Become part of a vibrant team living our values - expert, kind, collaborative and aspirational. You'll get an experience like no other and will fast forward your career.
Benefits include career development, flexible working and wellbeing, staff recognition scheme. Make use of optional benefits including Cycle to work, car lease schemes, season ticket loan or membership options for onsite leisure facilities. We encourage staff to have the Covid vaccination to protect themselves, patients, other colleagues as well as the wider community. Please note it is an operational requirement to comply with infection prevention and control procedures within the Trust such as lateral flow testing, handwashing and the wearing of masks, according to the procedures in place at any time or location.
As part of our continued response to Covid19 we are still conducting the majority of our interviews virtually.
We are committed to equal opportunities and improving the working lives of our staff and will consider applications to work flexibly, part-time or job share.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The full job description provides an overview of the key tasks and responsibilities of the role and the person specification outlines the qualifications, skills, experience and knowledge required. For both overviews please view the Job Description attachment with the job advert.Person SpecificationEducationEssential
Desirable Skills and AbilitiesEssential
- Registered Sick Children's Nurse
- Graduate Nurse
- Good communication skills.
- Able to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Knowledge of quality, standard setting and audit
- Knowledge of the NMC Code
- Knowledge of research and audit
- Minimum of 6 months post registration acute paediatric nursing
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Post registration
- Paediatric Emergency Department experience
Imperial College Healthcare NHS TrustAddress
St Mary's Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.