Project Accountant Band 8b 37.5 Hours per week FTC/Secondment
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced and motivated individual to join the Alder Hey finance team to support the Divisional and Finance teams. This is a 6-month secondment opportunity for a passionate and driven individual who will play a pivotal role not only within the finance department but across the organisation in helping to deliver the Alder Hey financial strategy.
This is an exciting opportunity to join and contribute to a forward thinking, innovative organisation and join our award-winning team:
- 2023 Public Finance Awards Finalist - Finance Team of the Year' & 'Digital Project of the Year'.
- 2022 HFMA Finalist for Health Inequalities through Finance Action
- 2020 HFMA Value and Innovation
- 2020 Havelock Training (It recognises best practice in the training and development of finance staff or the raising of financial awareness and skills within the wider non-financial workforce)
- 2017 HFMA Finance Team of the year
We are proud of and value all members of our team. We have an ethos and strategy of being the Number One Place to work and this is underpinned by our One Team Goal agenda. Our mission statement is delivering Financial and Procurement Intelligence and Excellence for Alder Hey and this is recognised by our Level 2 finance skills development accreditation.Main duties of the job
The Project Accountant will take the lead finance role within the Division, providing financial advice and leadership to the Division, sharing the objective with the management team for the overall financial management and financial performance of the Division. The Project Accountant will also support the Associate Director of Operational Finance and the wider finance team with ad hoc projects, the annual financial planning process and financial reporting, as required.
The post covers a wide remit of financial work within the organisation and involves working with other professionals at a senior level within the organisation.About us
Our teams are working in a modern agile way utilising a mixture of desks and co-creation spaces. All team members have laptops and work flexibly in both the office, other areas of the Trust or at home.
We also have state of the art technology using the most up to date financial ledger -Oracle Cloud - and Microsoft Office 365. Our teams are well integrated into the wider Trust and are well respected by all the Divisional Management Teams and Executive Directors.
In line with the Trust's Single Equality Scheme we welcome applications from everyone irrespective of ethnic origin, disability, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, religion, marital status, social back ground or trade union membership. However, as members of ethnicity minority groups and individuals with disabilities are currently under-represented at this level of post, we would encourage applications from members of these groups. Appointment will be based on merit alone.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesMain Duties and Requirements
- To lead on all aspects of financial management of the Division to ensure financial viability and to work with Clinicians and Managers to assess and improve the profitability and productivity of the Division.
- To provide the Division with accurate financial and other ad-hoc information that will allow informed business decisions to be made and strategic direction to be set.
- To support with the annual financial planning process and financial reporting, as required.
- To support with ad hoc financial work and projects
- To oversee the preparation of divisional budgets and financial plans in accordance with guidelines and deadlines.
- Monitor the performance of budgets and analyse key variances timely, working with the Divisions or other Senior colleagues to identify reasons for variations in financial performance and identify remedial actions to address the variation.
- Undertake a comprehensive analytical review of monthly reports to ensure the veracity of information and highlight and substantiate key issues.
- To oversee the production of accurate financial forecasts, taking ownership, using professional skill and judgement, to lead the forecasts of the Division. In year monitoring for both income and expenditure, in terms of modelling and analysing future scenarios around changes in demand, activity and resultant capacity requirements. The forecasts plans should highlight potential opportunities and risks, and support the formulation and implementation of mitigation plans where these are required.
- To provide accurate, timely and regular financial management information to the Associate Director of Finance as part of the monthly reporting cycle, linking activity and financial information and preparing and presenting financial reports to both the division and for inclusion in finance reports to the relevant committees and presenting where appropriate, ensuring financial issues are clearly and professionally presented in a format which is tailored to the recipients.
- To lead the planning and reporting of the Cost Improvement Programme (CIP) for the Division as part of the Trusts annual CIP programme, working with managers to identify opportunities and encourage focus on efficiency and cash releasing productivity initiatives.
- To further develop cost awareness, identifying and quantifying key cost drivers and being able to model the implications of changes in activity on these.
- To promote a culture of innovation and productivity using financial models to support cost improvement and productivity concepts, business cases and other activity as required.
- To act as a Business Partner to the Division, a member of the Divisional board, proactively advising and leading on business strategy, promoting financial control and stewardship to safeguard the use of funds within the division and ensure value for money is delivered, financial risks are fully understood, benefits are realised and ongoing performance is monitored. The Business Accountant should be in a position to update and challenge corporate financial assumptions from their informed viewpoint, having a deep understanding of their part of the business.
- To provide the Executive Team and Senior Managers with high quality, accurate and timely information on changing trends in the financial viability of the Division. To work with colleagues to create a dashboard of Business & Performance Information for Divisions to allow them to manage their business units in the most effective manner.
- To provide any relevant information to enable the upholding of statutory regulations and Trust financial policies and procedures.
- To develop the financial information analysis skills and expertise across the Division, providing a comprehensive finance training programme to support Clinicians in using a consistent and data-based approach to business decision making
- Assist/complete financial returns and questionnaires as required.
- To provide other financial information as required to the Finance function within agreed timescales and deadlines, ensuring a high quality professional finance service is provided to users.
- To provide overall management and supervision for all activities undertaken within the divisional financial management team.
- QualificationsCCAB or CIMA Qualified
- Evidence of post qualification development and training
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Proven financial management experience
- Experience of working with senior managers/professionals
- Experience of staff management/development
- Evidence of track record of achievement
Skills and AbilitiesEssential
- Experience of NHS financial management
- Sound knowledge of current NHS FT Finance regime
- Sound knowledge of N.H.S. costing systems and guidance
- Sound knowledge of N.H.S Business Case process
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Well developed influencing and negotiation skills
- Strong analytical and reasoning skills supported by attention to detail
- Demonstrable open and developmental leadership style
- Project management skills
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Strategic and innovative thinker
- Team player
- Demonstrates commitment to the job
- Strong leadership qualities
- Able to manage conflicting demands and plan appropriate strategy
Alder Hey Children's NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Alder Hey Children's NHS Foundation Trust
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.