Business Accountant - Medicine Division Band 8b 37.5 Hours per week Permanent
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced and motivated individual to join the Alder Hey finance team to support the Medicine Division. As a result of an internal promotion, we are looking for a passionate and driven individual who will play a pivotal role not only within the finance department but across the organisation in helping to deliver the Alder Hey financial strategy.
This is an exciting opportunity to join and contribute to a forward thinking, innovative organisation and our award-winning team:
- 2023 Public Finance Awards Finalist - Finance Team of the Year' & 'Digital Project of the Year'.
- 2022 HFMA Finalist for Health Inequalities through Finance Action
- 2020 HFMA Value and Innovation
- 2020 Havelock Training (It recognises best practice in the training and development of finance staff or the raising of financial awareness and skills within the wider non-financial workforce)
- 2017 HFMA Finance Team of the year
We are proud of and value all members of our team. We have an ethos and strategy of being the Number One Place to work and this is underpinned by our One Team Goal agenda. Our mission statement is delivering Financial and Procurement Intelligence and Excellence for Alder Hey and this is recognised by our Level 2 finance skills development accreditation.Main duties of the job
The primary purpose of the Business Accountant is to support the division and ensure that their financial requirements are understood and delivered by themselves and/or by other members of the financial management team.
The Business Accountant will take the lead finance role within the Division, providing financial advice and leadership to the Division, sharing the objective with the management team for the overall financial management and financial performance of the Division.About us
Our teams are working in a modern agile way utilising a mixture of desks and co-creation spaces. All team members have laptops and work flexibly in both the office, other areas of the Trust or at home. We also have state of the art technology using the most up to date financial ledger -Oracle Cloud - and Microsoft Office 365. Our teams are well integrated into the wider Trust and are well respected by all the Divisional Management Teams and Executive Directors.
We have a strong commitment to ensuring Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) are at the forefront of everything we do and in line with the Trust's Single Equality Scheme we welcome applications from everyone irrespective of ethnic origin, disability, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, religion, marital status, social background or trade union membership. However, as members of ethnicity minority groups and individuals with disabilities are currently under-represented at this level of post, we would encourage applications from members of these groups. Appointment will be based on merit alone.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesMain Duties and Requirements
- To lead on all aspects of financial management of the Division to ensure financial viability and to work with Clinicians and Managers to assess and improve the profitability and productivity of the Division.
- To provide the Division with accurate financial and other ad-hoc information that will allow informed business decisions to be made and strategic direction to be set.
- To oversee the preparation of divisional budgets and financial plans in accordance with guidelines and deadlines.
- Monitor the performance of those budgets and analyse key variances timely, working with the Associate Chief Operating Officer and Divisional Clinical Director to identify reasons for variations in financial performance and identify remedial actions to address the variation.
- To oversee the production of accurate financial forecasts, taking ownership, using professional skill and judgement, to lead the forecasts of the Division.
- To provide accurate, timely and regular financial management information to the Associate Director of Finance as part of the monthly reporting cycle, linking activity and financial information and preparing and presenting financial reports to both the division and for inclusion in finance reports to the relevant committees and presenting where appropriate, ensuring financial issues are clearly and professionally presented in a format which is tailored to the recipients.
- To lead the planning and reporting of the Cost Improvement Programme (CIP) for the Division as part of the Trusts annual CIP programme, working with managers to identify opportunities and encourage focus on efficiency and cash releasing productivity initiatives.
- To act as a Business Partner to the Division, a member of the Divisional board, proactively advising and leading on business strategy, promoting financial control and stewardship to safeguard the use of funds within the division and ensure value for money is delivered, financial risks are fully understood, benefits are realised, and ongoing performance is monitored.
- To work with the Divisions and provide advice to ensure changes in local or external policy/strategy, systems and processes relating to the national tariff and the NHS operating framework are implemented across the Division.
- To support Clinicians and Managers within the Division in having access to financial and non-financial business intelligence information through the development of increased levels of automation of performance data.
- To provide the Executive Team and Senior Managers with high quality, accurate and timely information on changing trends in the financial viability of the Division. To work with colleagues to create a dashboard of Business & Performance Information for Divisions to allow them to manage their business units in the most effective manner.
- Assist/complete financial returns and questionnaires as required.
- To provide overall management and supervision for all activities undertaken within the divisional financial management team.
- Ensure effective and timely communication with staff, appraise staff and develop the skills and competencies of staff through training and development activities.
- Deputise for the Associate Director of Operational Finance if required on an ad hoc basis.
Please see job description for full details.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Qualifications CCAB or CIMA Qualified
- Evidence of post qualification development and training
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Proven financial management experience
- Experience of working with senior managers/professionals
- Experience of staff management/development
- Evidence of track record of achievement
Skills and AbilitiesEssential
- Experience of NHS financial management
- Sound knowledge of current NHS FT Finance regime
- Sound knowledge of N.H.S. costing systems and guidance
- Sound knowledge of N.H.S Business Case process
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Well developed influencing and negotiation skills
- Strong analytical and reasoning skills supported by attention to detail
- Proficient in use of current business software (e.g. Microsoft Office)
- Demonstrable open and developmental leadership style
- Project management skills
- Innovative and creative approach
- Able to interpret guidance, assess risk, make decisions and influence change.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Strategic and innovative thinker
- Team player
- Demonstrates commitment to the job
- Strong leadership qualities
- Able to manage conflicting demands and plan appropriate strategy
- Able to think laterally
- Act with integrity and professionalism at all times
Alder Hey Children's NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Alder Hey Children's NHS Foundation Trust
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.