The Pharmacy Department at Lancashire Teaching Hospitals has a fabulous opportunity for a motivated Pharmacy Technician to join our collaborative, innovative and passionate Medicines Safety Team.
The role is pivotal in ensuring Medication Safety is a key priority within Lancashire Teaching Hospitals. By working closely with the Medicines Governance Associates, Medicines Governance & Safety Pharmacy Technician and Pharmacists to promote safe and secure medicines management, compliance with CD, PGD and medicines safety audits and provide expert leadership to continuously improve our practices by working closely with the wider MDT and Medicines Safety networks.
This exciting role is perfect for an experienced Pharmacy Technician to take the next step in their career and develop with us in the Medicines Safety Team!Main duties of the job
This role will have excellent capabilities to work as a senior Pharmacy Technician within our brilliant team.
Key duties include:
- To run and coordinate the multidisciplinary medicines safety champions groups.
- Plan and maintain audit of Trust medicines usage against National, Professional and legal standards providing evidence and report to Trust for example compliance with NPSA audits, PGDs, medication safety and controlled drugs.
- Provide expert leadership and direction to the pharmacy and nursing teams, ensuring professional and service standards are met.
- Create and deliver training to pharmacy and nursing staff, across the Trust .
- Lead on medication safety improvement projects.
- Support the investigation and review of Datix incidents relating to medicines.
Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust provides hospital services to 370,000 people in the Preston and Chorley area as well as Specialist care to 1.5 million people across Lancashire and Cumbria.
Our aim is to provide excellent care with compassion for every patient and their families on every occasion and our values define the high standards of behaviour we expect from our staff to ensure we deliver that care.
We provide a range of specialist tertiary services including oncology, renal, plastics and burns, neurosciences and specialist mobility and rehabilitation and are the major trauma centre and major vascular centre for Lancashire and South Cumbria, which means our hospitals deliver the latest treatment for a broad spectrum of serious, complex and uncommon conditions.
Within the Pharmacy department, we pride ourselves on three key behaviours, being patient focused, supporting each other and embracing improvement.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesCommunication
Communicate effectively with other healthcare professionals and members of the pharmacy team regarding the provision safe use of medicines. This will include legislation and professional guidelines and reporting of audit findings.
Responsible for the cascading of relevant medicines governance, Formulary and Medicines safety information across the Trust.
Communicates in a professional and timely manner.
Maintains confidentiality at all times and communicates in line with relevant legislation, policies and procedures.
Runs and coordinates the Medicines Safety Champions group. Service Planning and Delivery
Responsible for planning and organisation of medicines safety, PGD and unlicensed medicines audits.
Undertakes Trend analysis of Medication safety incidents on Datix. Learning and Development
Participates in education and training of all staff in relation to safe medicines usage, CDs, PGDs and Unlicensed and over labelled medicines
Maintain and develop own professional competence and seek to extend the scope of personal knowledge and skills within scope of role and professional practice, policies and legislation. Quality and Governance
To record department activity, ensuring departmental and Trust KPI targets are met.
Develop, review and maintain Standard Operating Procedures.
Contribute to the formal handling and investigating of complaints, error reports, accident/incident reports and monitor for preventative and/or corrective action and improvement
Proactively manage risk and maintain safety, conforming to health, safety and security legislation, policies, procedures and guidelines. Service Improvement
To ensure safe and effective medicines storage is designed, delivered and evaluated to meet service needs and to inform future practice.
To continually look for ways to improve services and patient safety within the Trust.
Alert managers to resource issues which affect service delivery and safety.
To contribute to pharmacy business planning process
Contributes to review and management of Medicines risk register entries.
Updates Pharmacy Intranet pages. Financial Management
To contribute to, implement and champion pharmacy PET initiatives.Person SpecificationQualifications & EducationEssential
- NVQ Level 3 Pharmacy Services with underpinning knowledge provided by the BTEC Certificate in Pharmaceutical Sciences OR oOther recognised Pharmacy Technician Qualification meeting requirements for registration with GPhC
- Technician Accuracy Checking Certificate equivalent to the National Framework
- Registration with GPhC and evidence of CPD
Knowledge & ExperienceEssential
- Post-Graduate Leadership and Management Development qualification.
- Desire to complete further professional courses such as Clinical Diploma, Human Factors and Continuous improvement courses
- APTUK Member
- Knowledge of all areas of Pharmacy Services in particular Medicines Management and Medicines Governance
- Knowledge and practical experience of managing staff and resources at a higher or Team Leader level
- Knowledge of medicines legislation and clinical governance
- Knowledge and experience of training
- Knowledge and experience in Audit
- Specialist Technical knowledge of Good Dispensing Practice
- Awareness of changes within pharmacy practice
- Use of email, internet, MS windows, MS excel MS powerpoint
- Knowledge of laws and principles relating to information security and confidentiality
- Evidence of supporting service development
- Knowledge of HR policies and legislation
- Knowledge of COSHH regulations
- Knowledge Health and Safety legislation and Risk Management processes
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Line management experience
- Project Management experience
- Evidence of supporting service development
- Knowledge of PGDs
- Knowledge of Continuous improvement methodology
Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Royal Preston Hospital
Sharoe Green Lane
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.