We are looking for a motivated and experienced manager who can bring enthusiasm and energy to the role of General Manager for Directorate 1 in Medicine. The role will have operational oversight of Cardiology, Respiratory, Diabetes & Endocrinology and Rheumatology services along with associated inpatient wards.
Reporting to the Director of Operations for the Medicine Division, the general manager is responsible, in conjunction with the Service teams, clinical director and matron, for the safe and effective delivery of all patient services within the clinical division. This involves achievement of all operational performance targets, including access targets, finance, and the quality of services to patients and improving services towards best practice standards within available financial resources.
The role will provide strong local leadership to balance strategic objectives with operational need to ensure robust delivery. It supports the trust in ensuring the provision of high quality patient services that are clinically sound, delivered cost effectively and meet the trust's priorities and performance targets.
The general manager is expected to be a highly visible individual able to influence across the wider organisation at all levels of seniority.Main duties of the jobLeadership
- To provide professional general management support to the division working in partnership withthe Clinical Director and Matron to deliver a high quality and responsive service. Strategic Direction
- To support the development of, and promote, the Trust's missions, values, aims and objectives.- To lead on the production and monitoring of divisional operational plans and support thedevelopment of care group strategic and operational plans, as part of the annual planning cycleand on an ad-hoc basis as required.- Produce accurate, high quality business cases in conjunction with the information team. Service Developments and Performance Management
- To support the Trust's performance management framework as part of the triumvirate team be accountable for the performance against all key dimensions to include all access and clinical quality performance targets taking corrective action as required. Quality and risk
- Promote a culture that continually reviews performance utilising incidents and complaints dataas tools to enable continuous improvement. Resources
- To be responsible and accountable for the management of budgets (pay and non-pay) relating to the division and achieve financial balance, reporting as required to the Associate Director of Operations, Associate Medical Director and Clinical Director with regard to financialperformance .About us
This is an exciting time for The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust. Over the next five years we are on a digital transformation journey, leading us to our brand new hospital. You will be part of the Medicine Operations team leading and supporting our organisation in a diverse and challenging role a role which can make a significant difference to how the organisations day to day services are delivered.
Our people demonstrate energy and commitment towards improving the care and experiences provided to our patients and the drive to be an outstanding organisation.
Its never been a better time to join us.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Person Specificationmeets essentialEssential
- Have operational and strategic responsibility for pathway management and delivery of performance targets for all specialties within their clinical division. This will include waiting list management, cancer standards, workforce and finance.
- Be responsible for operational flow, capacity and demand management and ensuring pathways are optimised to support performance targets and financial targets including PQP
- Ensure daily processes are in place to identify early any risks to achievement of performance targets and develop detailed recovery plans for any area below expected performance.
- Ensure the DD is kept updated on all performance areas within the Directorate and highlight any specialties of concern.
- Develop business cases on behalf of the Directorate to support service development or improvement.
- Ensure that operational delivery also provides high quality of care to patients. The GM will demonstrate a clear commitment to and role modelling of the Trust values.
- Make an active contribution to the planning and delivery of Improvement Programme and QUIPP schemes and initiatives to support the achievement of ongoing productivity and efficiency improvements across the organisation.
- Ensure that the availability of services are optimised for the benefit of patients and that appropriate contingency arrangements are made if it is not possible for the division to provide normal service.
- Ensure that administrative/clinical pathways and procedures are continuously improved to support the delivery of efficient and effective services to achieve and maintain targets and internal performance measures.
- Where required, deputise for the Associate Director of Operations and be expected to work autonomously and make decisions when necessary.
- To be a key member of the Divisional Leadership Team
- Significant management experience in the acute sector
- Experience , knowledge and understanding of current issues/themes affecting wider and local NHS
Meets Essential CriteriaEssential
- Budget management experience, including reducing costs/efficiency gains
- Healthcare related degree /Diploma/professional qualification/registration or equivalent
- Experience of staff management , including setting objectives , team and individual appraisal, recruitment and disciplinary issues
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Previous experience managing PTL and associated targets
The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS TrustAddress
Princess Alexandra Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.