Working across sites within ELHT NHS trust's Diabetes Service and undergo training and development to gain skills and knowledge in the specialist field of diabetes.
With support from a clinical supervisor the post holder will develop skills to manage, develop, implement, and evaluate care for people with a diagnosis of diabetes. The post holder will be working in partnership with the wider clinical team, primary care, and community services. The post holder will support audit and the promotion of evidence-based care for people with diabetes.
It is expected that the post holder will work to professional and regulatory body codes, standards and guidance always ensuring that their practice is grounded in evidence based theoretical and practical knowledge.
The adult diabetes service will be delivered in a variety of locations across East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust (ELHT).Main duties of the job
- Following supervision and guidance to undertake multidisciplinary diabetes clinics in various locations across the Trust ensuring clinical documentation and correspondence is completed as per trust policies on record keeping.
- Effectively manage patient information and analyse data from a clinical perspective.
- Under agreed guidelines, protocols and clinical supervision undertake the initiation and titration of injectable therapies and oral hypoglycaemic agents.
- With advice and guidance ensure the safe transition when switching insulin regimens from one type to another converting the dosages as appropriate and re-educating and guiding people with diabetes and their family/carers.
- Educate and empower people with diabetes to self-manage their diabetes and assist them to be able to self-adjust their insulin dose if able to do so and other diabetes medications as appropriate.
- Comprehensively assess, review and evaluate the needs of both people with diabetes and their family/carers to improve their physical and psychological well-being therefore reducing the need for admission to hospital.
- Use knowledge of medicines to influence the reduction of risk and complications associated with poorly managed diabetes and work in line with the Trusts Medicine Management policy.
- Following appropriate training, deliver education in line with NICE Guidance, evidence based practice, focusing on the knowledge and skills that people with diabetes need to successfully self-manage their condition.
East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust (ELHT) Integrated Diabetes Service is a consists of a multi- professional team who provide much-valued hospital and community diabetes services to residents in East Lancashire and Blackburn with Darwen (BwD). This role will be based within the acute setting.
The Trust has built a good reputation as a place to enjoy job satisfaction and develop professional skills and experience. By joining us now you can play a role in organisation that continues to put patients and clients at the heart of everything that we do.
We are seeking to attract exceptionally motivated individual to join our friendly, dynamic team. In return for your dedication and hard work, we offer well-established, structured mentoring and staff development packages to support you in your role.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Registered Nurse to join the Integrated Diabetes Service. The focus of this role will be to work closely with our multidisciplinary team (MDT) to support people with diabetes attending our service or admitted to our hospitals across ELHT,Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Work in accordance with the Nursing and Midwifery Council The Code: Standards of conduct, performance and ethics for nurses and midwives.
- To be professionally accountable for own actions.
- With support of senior colleagues and the clinical supervisor develop appropriate plans of care for individuals with diabetes.
- Liaise with pharmaceutical company colleagues to keep abreast of current products.
- Participate in Trust wide groups that require specialist nurse input.
- Facilitate effective communication between primary, intermediate, secondary, social care and voluntary settings to promote best possible outcomes.
- The post holder will be required to practice within the professional scope of the role supported by the clinical supervisor, Senior Diabetes Specialist Nurses and Diabetologists.
- Participate in clinical supervision and understand when it is necessary to seek advice and support from senior colleagues and consultants.
- The post holder will be IT literate with systems including Cerner, EMIS, ICE, MS Teams, outlook, Microsoft Office, intranet and internet.
- Current NMC Level 1 Registration
- Interest in diabetes nursing
- Understanding evidence based practice
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Evidence of continuing professional development
- Teaching qualification (Mentorship or equivalent)
East Lancashire Hospitals NHS TrustAddress
Royal Blackburn Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.