Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust requires a highly motivated, reliable and flexible Estates Manager (Electrical) to work as a key member of the Estates Management Team. You will play a proactive role within the team, delivering key objectives to meet both departmental and Trust requirements.
The post holder will advise and assist the Technical Services Manager on all technical matters relating to building maintenance management within their field of expertise and control. They will also provide senior leadership to the Maintenance Team and liaise with key Trust departments to ensure maintenance and repair works are delivered smoothly and with little or no effect on patient care services.
The post holder will have extensive knowledge of infrastructure services and suitable experience of working within a challenging environment and will have a full understanding of current legislation, and be responsible for ensuring compliance with Trust Policies, procedures.
The post holder will also have HNC/HND qualification in Electrical Engineering or Building Services Engineering, will have a biased towards Electrical HV/LV services or hold a higher level qualification, and have sufficient time served experience to enable them to undertake the duties of the post.Main duties of the job
o Deliver Operational Maintenance, Project Management and Statutory Compliance aspects of Estate Management.o Perform the role of Authorised Person (AP) for the Trusts electrical services and arrange and monitor specialist contracts to provide maintenance and validation.o Ensure that the Trusts maintenance management systems reflect good practice in accordance with H& S legislation and HTMs.o Participate in the Trusts out of hours on-call engineering service.o Maintain delegated infrastructure services across Luton and Dunstable Hospital sites.
In return for your hard work & commitment we will offer you:-o A competitive salary of �40,057 - �45,839 pa pro ratao Access to an industry leading pension scheme where your employer pays in 20.6%o A raft of local and national discounts across shopping, insurance, holidays and many moreo An environment that challenges you but supports your efforts and development
This post will be based at the Luton and Dunstable Hospital covering services across the Trust's Luton and Dunstable sites.
Hours are 37.5 hour week Monday - Friday and the post holder will be expected to participate in the on call rota service for out of hours emergency calls, with some weekend and evening work whilst on call.About us
Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust provides hospital services to a growing population of around 700,000 people living across Bedfordshire and the surrounding areas across two busy hospital sites in Bedford and Luton. Both hospital sites offer key services such as A& E, Obstetrics-led Maternity and Paediatrics.
You will be joining a friendly, high performing Trust committed to ensuring the health and wellbeing of staff. As one of the largest NHS Trusts in our region you will have access to a programme of high quality training and development to help you grow your career.
We have state-of-the art facilities placing us at the heart of cutting edge health care. The Trust continues to be committed to delivering the best patient care using the best clinical knowledge and technology available.
Please note that vacancies may close prior to the advertised closing date when sufficient number of applications have been received. Please ensure that you make your application as soon as possible.
All new staff will be subject to a probationary period covering their first six months in post. Travel between hospital sites may be required.
Please review all documents attached to this advert to ensure you familiarise yourself with all requirements of the job.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The Estates Manager (Electrical) will be responsible to the Technical Services Manager for activities which deal with Operational Maintenance, Project Management and Statutory Compliance aspects of Estate Management .The post holder will advise the Technical services Manager on all technical matters relating to building maintenance management within their field of expertise and control.
- To provide effective leadership in the management of all area of the delivery of Estates services. Formulate, implement and revise policies, working practices, action plans and maintenance schedules to meet the Trusts requirements and statutory obligations.
- To develop and support an efficient and effective multi-disciplinary team to handle reactive and planned work from the point of inception (Report to Helpdesk/Generated by CAFM system) though to appropriate and timely completion/resolution, ensuring minimum loss of amenity. Fully supporting the specialist managers in delivery of compliance and meeting key performance indicators
- Responsible for the delivery of planned maintenance, reactive works and minor works for the day-to-day matters in the provision of maintenance, repairs and minor works principally at the Luton and Dunstable Hospital site.
- To be accountable for the productivity output of the directly employed labour and external Contractors to ensure that service levels and quality standards of workmanship are maintained above agreed limits and in accordance with Health and Safety requirements.
- Maintaining delivery of services to external services with set key performance indicators.
- Manage the Estates Officers Mechanical and Electrical.
- Deputise for the Technical Services Manager in their absence.
- To act as the day to day focal point on the Luton and Dunstable (and associated) site for the estates services.
- To prepare reports on failures to comply with key performance indicators and compliance requirements identifying route cause and conduct gap analysis to support the Director of Estates & Facilities in securing resource and development of capital expenditure projects.
- Ensuring the efficient and effective delivery of planned preventative maintenance by both directly employed labour and external contractors/specialist in line with key performance indicators ensure any defects identified are actioned as necessary.
- Supports Estates Officer (Building) in complying with the Control of Asbestos at Work Regulations. Helps to develop a computerised system for recording the location, type and condition of any Asbestos Containing Materials (ACMs) and provides reports, risk evaluation, procedural and other specialist advice to all levels of Trust staff, external consultants, contractors and other bodies in respect of same.
- Support the delivery of upgrade and minor works.
- Actively support measures and strategies in order to minimise the risk of Legionnaires Disease in Trust premises and for compliance with the Health and Safety Page 3 of 7 Commissions Approved Code of Practice L8 The Control of Legionella Bacteria. Undertakes water safety training for Legionella as described in HTM04.
- Implement procedures for operations and maintenance, which include the requirements contained in DSS Guidance/Codes of Practice, British Standards, Building Regulations, HTMs, Guidance Notes (Health & Safety etc.) and other similarly accepted documents.
- Ensuring the safety of the plant, equipment and services for which he/she is responsible, produce and implement policies and safe methods of working as required for compliance with the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974, COSHH Regulations, Building and Construction Regulations and the Trusts Safety Policy
- Use his/her own technical and managerial judgement to identify, analyse and rectify complex faults on a wide range of life support and building services within Trust owned properties in order to maintain integrity of supply for patients, staff and visitors.
- Maintaining the statutory and general records of equipment and services for which he/she is responsible in accordance with the requirements of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (PUWER), the Pressure Systems Regulations, the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations (LOLER), the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations and any other relevant statutory requirements, and HTM compliance records.
- Support managing the Trust wide computerised building management system comprising of an extensive dedicated IT network for heating and ventilation controls, parking and door swipe access security controls and baby tagging systems. To include operation, maintenance, personnel database management, complex programming, hardware/ software development and provision of reports, training, advice and technical support to all system users at both L& D and Bedford hospitals.
- Responsible for the selection of suppliers and procurement of goods and service contracts, obtaining costs and quotations where necessary all in accordance with the Trusts Standing Financial Instructions.
- Disseminating information to the Technical Services Manager and other Trust Officers as necessary on all matters affecting policy, established procedures, training, staffing, safety, continuity of engineering services and technical development.
- Advises Managers of Estates and Emergency preparedness lead of major failure of engineering plant, equipment and services. Formulates and executes contingency plans for major incidents and emergency service failures and shows initiative when dealing with unexpected occurrence
- Liaising and maintaining good relationships with Heads of Departments and other users of the service provided by his/her department.
- Directly manage all staff under his/her control to include recruitment, training, personal development, disciplinary matters, counselling, compliance with policies and holding regular meetings with staff to: (i) establish and review programmes of work. (ii) Review performance and ensure the effective use of resources available. (iii) Communicate decisions and information to staff and receive from them requests, suggestions and complaints.
- Investigating all hazard notices, incident reports and letters concerning the safety of equipment and services for which he/she is responsible. Effect solutions and remedial actions as appropriate
- Liaise with other Trust staff to arrange interruptions to Hospital equipment and services, ensuring that all contingencies have been identified and covered by supporting Risk Assessments, Method Statements and Permit to Work Systems. Review any proposed interruptions by outside bodies and suggest/negotiate alternative solutions in order to minimise the impact on the Trust.
- Support the operation and maintenance of the hospitals High Voltage and Low voltage Electrical systems and act as Trust Authorised Person as set out in HTM06-01, 02, 03. Select and appoint suitable Competent Persons to assist in the execution of these duties.
- Support the operation and maintenance of the Trust Fire alarms systems site wide and act as required in HTM05 as lead for end user and contractor maintenance programme and planning. Support the Fire safety manager with monitoring and fault data.
- Carry out job costing for minor improvements and plant/services replacement schemes and implement as appropriate, which could include design work and specification writing.
- Demonstrate a high degree of organisational and planning skills in the management of major plant and equipment replacement schemes, refurbishment works and other specialist projects.
- Collecting, collating and recording statistical information required for the calculation of performance and efficiency of building fabric, equipment and services.
- Undertake trials and evaluation of new equipment and processes, which may be beneficial to the Trust or offer potential solutions to particular problems, which exist.
- Assist Technical Services Manager to identify and compile statutory standards bids, irregular maintenance schedules and produce 5 year irregular maintenance programme.
- Uses and maintains a range of other computer databases to record and manage various aspects of the department such as service drawings, asset records, staff attendance, breakdown reporting, ordering, and work scheduling
- Undertake all training required by the Trust and undertake continuing professional development to ensure up to date knowledge and development of best practice.
- Undertake on-call officer duties when required as part of the on-call team to ensure that emergencies occurring outside normal hours are attended to in a timely manner.
The post holder will undertake other duties as may be required to achieve the Trusts objectives, commensurate with the grading of the post.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Post-graduate Diploma in an electrical or building services related subject
- Degree-level education in a relevant discipline or demonstrable comparable experience
- Good general standard of secondary education
- Evidence of Continuing Development
- Authorised Persons LV HTM: 06-02
- Authorised Persons HV HTM: 06-03
- 18th Edition Wiring Regulations
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.