Depot & Clozapine Clinic Nurse (Band 6) Are you a Registered Mental Health or General Nurse who is interested in medication management and physical health and who is passionate about improving outcomes for people with long term mental illness?
If you are then you will already know that people with Severe Mental illness currently have a significantly shorter than average life expectancy and a much higher than average incidence of physical health conditions. We are actively seeking to redress this health inequality in our service by creating a lead nurse role to manage our Depot and Clozapine clinic.
You would be in charge of the day to day running of the clinic, and be responsible for ensuring that all our SMI patients are receiving their anti-psychotic medications as per NICE guidance (including administering Depot injections and Clozapine) and receiving the required physical health monitoring.Main duties of the job
You would work closely with our Pharmacist and Pharmacy technician. You would be supported by, and have the opportunity to supervise, our full-time physical health specialist support worker, who completes all routine physical health checks. You would also link in with our medics about cases. You would work under the supervision of our band 7 Senior Nurse Practitioner and be part of the senior nurse network within the Trust.
As well as having a good knowledge of mental health conditions, anti-psychotic medications and associated side-effects, you will need to be a highly organised person who is able to quickly adapt to changing needs whilst maintaining the smooth running of the clinic. Phlebotomy training is desirable but not essentialAbout us
Millwood is close to the famous Ashdown Forest and the beautiful South Downs National Park. The lovely coastline and the bustling city of Brighton are just a short drive away.
We are passionate about supporting people to progress and develop their professional expertise. Aside from regular clinical and professional supervision, there are lots of training opportunities available for nurses within Sussex Partnership Trust and staff wellbeing is our number one priority. We encourage flexible working
. We know that a positive work/ life balance brings about huge health-related benefits, which has a positive impact on the care we provide. Please speak to us about flexible working, for example, home-working, part time hours, flexible start/ finish times or anything else. If it works for you and works for the role, we'll do our best to make it happen.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The post holder will be an autonomous practitioner who will carry continuing responsibility for a defined caseload of service users by undertaking the following duties:1. To undertake assessments of individuals and their families in the designated care group with complex health presentations, including those service users presenting with higher levels of risk. To develop alongside the service user their care plan.2. To offer specialist nursing assessment and advice where required.3. To assess and manage on going risks as identified during the assessment, ensuring that this is done in collaboration with the service user and carers. 4. To regularly review risk factors and make changes to the management of them as necessary.
5. To contribute to the maintenance and development of the Trust nursing strategy.6. To ensure that clinical practice is evidence based and consistent with relevant NICE guidelines and Trust policies and procedures.7. To provide supervision of junior staff and trainees where appropriate.
8.To act within the NMC code of conduct at all times.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Registered Nurse with current registration [mental health/LD/Adult], appropriate to the job role
- Completion of Mentorship Course/ENB equivalent
- Evidence of continuous professional development
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Significant post qualifying experience in the relevant care group
- Experience of working alongside people with complex health problems in the designated care group
- Experience of providing a range of clinical interventions to people in the designated care group with a variety of health problems
- Experience of working consultatively with professionals
- Experience of conducting clinical assessments including risk assessments
- Experience of partnership working within and across various statutory and non statutory teams and agencies
- Experience of working within the CPA process
- Previous experience of working in the community
Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.