We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic and dedicated Consultant Clinical Scientist into our Consultant Leadership team for the Immunology Laboratories at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust (LTHT). This post provides an excellent and exciting opportunity for a Clinical Scientist registered with the Health and Care Professions Council.
Candidates for appointment will hold a higher degree and FRCPath (or equivalent) in Immunology. Whilst experience as a Consultant will be an advantage, it is not essential and support will be provided as necessary. The most important characteristics are a passion for laboratory medicine and an ability to lead a progressive and highly patient-focused laboratory service for the healthcare providers and patients we serve.
The laboratory is managed within a group of laboratories termed Specialist Laboratory Medicine (SLM) within the Pathology Clinical Service Unit at LTHT. The appointee will provide clinical and scientific leadership for the Immunology Laboratory and will be accountable to the Clinical Lead for Specialist Laboratory Medicine.
The Immunology Laboratory provides an analytical and clinical advisory service to the tertiary and secondary clinical immunology services within LTHT and the wider network within the West Yorkshire Association of Acute Trusts (WYAAT). Around 400,000 samples are processed per year and tests performed include both automated and more specialised assays the development of new assays will be encouraged.Main duties of the job
Main duties of the job
The successful candidate will deliver clinical leadership of the Immunology laboratory, providing clinical, technical and scientific advice to a wide range of colleagues. The clinical immunology team consists of 2.5 consultants and two trainees. The post holder will have a close working relationship with the Clinical Lead for Specialist Laboratory Medicine, with the clinical immunology team and with the Consultant Clinical Scientists within Specialist Laboratory Medicine. They will provide line management for the Clinical Scientists of the department and will be responsible for leading and co-ordinating training for STPs and HSSTs within the laboratory.
They will be a key point of contact for clinical and scientific enquiries into the Immunology Laboratory and will be responsible for training and competency assurance for the clinical validation and reporting of results from the Immunology Laboratory. The post holder will lead and co-ordinate liaison with clinical service users, participation in MDTs and provision of advice and guidance on appropriate use of laboratory tests and laboratory resources.
As a department we aim to provide a consistently high quality and professional service to all our users. Extensive experience within the Immunology discipline is essential, as well as good communication skills and a proven record of working at a high level as a registered Clinical Scientist within Immunology.About us
This is an exciting time to work at Leeds - we work closely with the NIHR MedTech and In vitro Diagnostics Co-operative (MIC) with ample opportunities to get involved with research. We are networked with our neighbouring Trusts within the West Yorkshire Association of Acute Trusts (WYAAT) and working closely with our colleagues in the region to implement a new cross-WYAAT LIMS. A new Pathology Building is also planned, which will allow our routine and specialist biochemistry services to be co-located on the SJUH site, along with the regional Biochemistry, Haematology, Microbiology, and Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics Laboratories.
Leeds is a vibrant city in the heart of West Yorkshire with a diverse social, art and cultural history. A buzzing city centre has excellent restaurants, pubs and bars, museums and galleries. With excellent road and rail networks, getting into the beautiful surrounding suburbs is easy.
Leeds Teaching Hospitals is committed to our process of redeploying 'at risk' members of our existing workforce to new roles. As such, all our job adverts are subject to this policy and we reserve the right to close, delay or remove adverts while this process is completed. If you do experience a delay in the shortlisting stage of the recruitment cycle, please bear with us while this process is completed, and contact the named contact if you have any questions.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- To lead a highly specialised laboratory service providing services locally, regionally and nationally.
- To provide a comprehensive scientific service (analytical and advisory) as a consultant in the department to medical and other healthcare professionals
- To maintain highly specialised knowledge in Clinical Immunology and take responsibility for provision of scientific services and clinical advisory services in that area, acting as an expert in that field.
- As a member of the Clinical Strategy Group and Departmental Executive Team to be jointly responsible for setting department policy on service provision and strategic service development.
- To maintain up to date scientific and clinical knowledge within specialist laboratory medicine and along with consultant colleagues to lead and facilitate the training of local and regional clinical scientists and trainee clinical scientists.
- To deputise for the Specialist Laboratory Medicine Clinical Service Lead at appropriate governance and management forums.
Desirable Skills and behavioursEssential
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Pathology (FRCPath) Immunology or equivalent
- Further qualification or knowledge equivalent to doctorate plus further specialist knowledge and experience.
- HCPC Registration as a Clinical Scientist in Immunology
- Able to maintain self control in difficult and challenging situations and to take control of situation when more junior staff are in difficulty.
- Able to provide leadership within the department, across the Trust and beyond within the context of service planning and development or quality.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- To have a thorough knowledge and experience of working in a clinical immunology laboratory
Leeds Teaching HospitalsAddress
St. James's University Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.